K Band Delay

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is a known 'issue'. If you watch the Vortex interview with Mike V. he eludes to the fact that he would rather have a delay in K-band than a noisy RD. It has not been confirmed whether or not VR is working on reducing this delay.

That being said the RL360c has pretty much the same delay on K- band as well, longer the more features/segments you enable as well.

The R7 will alert very quickly, the Max 360(c) will alert quicker than the G2 & RL360c but not as fast as the R7, but it is not as sensitive as the others as I am sure you know.

The G2 has instantaneous reaction to Ka band though, so a lot depends on what you face on you daily drives mainly on which one will end up being the best suited for your needs.

biolink

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Delay is one thing, are we seeing loss of range as a result. So far I am not. I plan to test this a bit more this weekend.

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Delay is one thing, are we seeing loss of range as a result. So far I am not. I plan to test this a bit more this weekend.
Depends....against C/O, doubtful.....against I/O very possible (depending on the LEO's skill).

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Any delay will reduce range. Very little range (just depends on you speed) on any nearby strong signal but it's variable on signals that are far away or weak, especially I/O.

biolink

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Any delay will reduce range. Very little range (just depends on you speed) on any nearby strong signal but it's variable on signals that are far away or weak, especially I/O.
Do you know if the delay applies to all of K or just known BSM ranges?

I'm going to hunt the Falcon gun tomorrow. They can usually be found near lake where the deputies roam.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know that for a fact but since BSM's overlap with police radar which is why we have a problem with BSMs in the first place I would assume that it does.

cihkal

♟️ WWG1WGA ⛈️
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the delay applies to all of K or just known BSM ranges?

I'm going to hunt the Falcon gun tomorrow. They can usually be found near lake where the deputies roam.
I think it's based on characteristic. In the paper I posted a few up it was instantaneous to one K gun in the real world, regardless of mode I believe.

I sincerely believe that when I/O testing with the G2, if you don't hit it in a real world setting it's, "like, who knows", with the results.

This thing is taking "virtual image" snapshots front and rear of the entire spectrum, in 4ms based on the HPI patent and Mike's own comment in his Vortex interview.

I don't really know what the G2 sees, with it's 250 virtual images front and rear of the spectrum in 1sec, when comparing actual LEO equipment in real world vs. lab by who/quasi lab/basement/garage/video making room/office/"simulated" signals wherever/etc. (👈 not being mean)......when also trying to consider what it could be looking for.

Im also not opposed to the idea that despite the information coming in as "instantaneous" virtual spectrum images that VR hasn't fully worked out the algorithms. I do believe the information is there and a lot of good things lie ahead. This is an entirely new way of doing things in the RD industry.

I personally sway to the former idea and wish I had a means to test my hypothesis.

Some fun highlights related to this general topic, and demonstrating the real world results in one. The last is a set of graphs for detecting I/O of a gun; VR had/has this included in the HPI patent before I/O scout was a thing.

☝️ I wonder sometimes if that's what the interesting I/O cadence is coming from...

Ramp-up of a V1 tells the whole story, outside of direction.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200920-131328~2.png
    Screenshot_20200920-131328~2.png
    561.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 3GHz Virtual Image.png
    3GHz Virtual Image.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20200721-230058~2.png
    Screenshot_20200721-230058~2.png
    947.9 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20201016_214123609.jpg
    PXL_20201016_214123609.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • US20200166604A1-20200528-D00010.png
    US20200166604A1-20200528-D00010.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
My experience so far is the V1G2 K-band delay varies some depending on the gun.

biolink

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My experience so far is the V1G2 K-band delay varies some depending on the gun.
I asked earlier if this is causing a lack of range. Based on what o found today Gen 2 alerts me sooner that Gen 1. (On K) So far I conclude it is more sensitive to make up for the delay. More testing to come.

I could be wrong.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
I asked earlier if this is causing a lack of range. Based on what o found today Gen 2 alerts me sooner that Gen 1. (On K) So far I conclude it is more sensitive to make up for the delay. More testing to come.

I could be wrong.
I believe you are correct. I also believe there is more left on the table with range as they work on the filtering.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i90don90