Let's Face It: Highway Radar is the future and it's time to step away from obnoxious 1980s radar detectors

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
WOW! - It took 11 posts before the “T” word came up. New record.
He seemed interested in detecting radar without falses and without the extra info like band or frequency. Nowhere else do I know a better or more thorough look into the concepts at play (not even close) than what we’ve seen following along with Theia’s development.

goblin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

My biggest point is I wish I could buy a radar detector that is very close to how the Garmin RV 315 Bike Radar functions. Basically a self contained black box that I can have in the front of the car and another in the back of the car. Both hard wired to 12V but has no "interface" and the entirety of the driver interface happening on the App, where I feel it really belongs.

You are describing a classical remote install radar detector in idealized form. Any hard wired remote radar detector is discrete and communicates with a small screen that is discreet and removable.

Just for the heck of it, go on eBay and look up a 1980s era radar detector. What we buy today looks not too different from a packaging and UI perspective (though the internals are a lot more advanced). They all flash Christmas lights and chirp like crazy for miles...

They look very different from "any 1980's era radar detector" (most of these looked like CB radios). And as mentioned before - the form factor is dictated by physical requirements. An airplane from the 70s looks very much like a modern one.

My point is that my dream radar detector setup is one where Highway Radar controls and manages the UI and alerts with the radar detectors essentially being a black boxe with the antenna and DSP and communicating with the app when it detects radar.

A certain current radar detector company whose name is sometimes automatically cleaned by Craigslit's bots because it synonyms with call-girl holds all the patents for radar detector to wireless remote interface communication and is holding them quite tight.

Basically the radar detector automotive equivalent of the Garmin RV 315 Bike Radar.

The radar detector automotive equivalent of the Garmin RV 315 Bike Radar is any car's blind spot monitoring system, as it emits and receives back at a fixed frequency, rather than analysing sneaky signals coming from a device it has no control over.

With the Bluetooth radar detector approach, you get some of the benefits of an expensive custom radar installation without any of the wiring hassles.

And with a small car that can tow the same weight as what a tractor trailer can, you'll have all the benefits of a tractor trailer but without the hassles of a tractor trailer :)

I just feel the time has come for radar detectors to fundamentally look different than they have for the last 40 years by moving the entire user interface and alerts to a comprehensive phone app like Highway Radar.

2029, if the company mentioned above lets their patents expire (or earlier if any other brand finds a way around it).

For those of you that have dash cams there is a similar comparison here. Isn't is great how Thinkware and Blackvue have removed screens and the user interface from their dashcams?

Good analogy. Imagine that:
- Said cameras have to have a full frame (24x36mm) sensor, and a lens able to cover it (not the tiny sensor that can be made tinier with every generation, and a dime-sized lens needed to cover it.
- One of the dashcam camera brands has patented any and all means of wireless communication between the camera unit and the control interface unit, and is holding them tight enough to prevent any other real competitor from using the technology.

Long story short - your enthousiasm is laudable, but there are both technological and legal reasons why the products you're asking for are not out on the market as we speak.

Although a V1G2 in dark mode powered by a MirrorTap cable and controlled by JBV1 on a phone to control it pretty much cover most of the stuff.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I guess the same could be said about a flip phone from way back. :p Those flip phones sure were quite an efficient, effective and affordable design too but look what we can do with modern phones. We can now run Highway Radar on our phones that integrate surface police, flying police (aircraft!), speed light cameras, threat heat maps and so much more.

So rather than mount a garish blinking Christmas light display under the rear view mirror ruining the clean and unclutered car interior, I would much prefer to have a nondescript radar detector that sends radar threat information to the Highway Radar App via Bluetooth...

Seriously, can you not imagine how awesome it would be to have radar detector alerts right on the Highway Radar App that shows everything else and not have to reach out to mute the blinking Christmas lights display? :)

Check out @Vortex's videos on V1G2+JBV1. It really looks like what you're looking at. No Christmas lights, no need to reach, Radar alerts + surface police + air police + cameras + heat maps (same as in HwR) -- everything in one package on your phone.

RadarNodar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
He seemed interested in detecting radar without falses and without the extra info like band or frequency. Nowhere else do I know a better or more thorough look into the concepts at play (not even close) than what we’ve seen following along with Theia’s development.

I just began looking up Theia. Doesn't it have a user interface up front like a traditional radar detector?

I'm specifically dreaming of a modern radar detector that is designed to be out of sight inside the car like a dash cam and integrate with the Highway Radar App for the UI and alerts.

What I love so much about the Highway Radar app that @ferius has built is how logical and functional it is with how threats and alerts are presented.

I love the heatmap feature that @ferius has developed. With a Bluetooth based radar detector device, imagine what you can do on the App. When radar is detected, the app can alert that radar has been detected and then the street level heatmap can turn bright red in half mile increments. So the same map you are already keeping an eye on for speed cameras can now alert you to radar. Also the app can give an "all clear" when radar is no longer detected so of like those "begin Construction" and "end construction signs you see.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I just began looking up Theia. Doesn't it have a user interface up front like a traditional radar detector?

I'm specifically dreaming of a modern radar detector that is designed to be out of sight inside the car like a dash cam and integrate with the Highway Radar App for the UI and alerts.

What I love so much about the Highway Radar app that @ferius has built is how logical and functional it is with how threats and alerts are presented.

I love the heatmap feature that @ferius has developed. With a Bluetooth based radar detector device, imagine what you can do on the App. When radar is detected, the app can alert that radar has been detected and then the street level heatmap can turn bright red in half mile increments. So the same map you are already keeping an eye on for speed cameras can now alert you to radar. Also the app can give an "all clear" when radar is no longer detected so of like those "begin Construction" and "end construction signs you see.

BTW, Highway Radar will support Theia integration.

NVR2FST

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
RadarNodar wrote:

"Seriously, can you not imagine how awesome it would be to have radar detector alerts right on the Highway Radar App that shows everything else and not have to reach out to mute the blinking Christmas lights display?"

My V1G1 mounted in a visor organizer attached to the bottom side of the sun visor and paired with JBV1 does that for me now. You probably wouldn't notice that I even have a RD in my car on a brief trip.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
I think what would make you really happy is a V1G2 with a custom installed remote display, plus JBV1. If you take it to a good car audio shop, they can fab something to hide your V1 completely (I know of an install where the installer re-made a 3rd brake light housing out of plastic, and another which put it inside a headrest) and run the wire to the remote display, which can be custom integrated or flush mounted into your car's interior. This would functionally give you a hidden V1G2 with all of the other features you're desiring.

RadarNodar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Check out @Vortex's videos on V1G2+JBV1. It really looks like what you're looking at. No Christmas lights, no need to reach, Radar alerts + surface police + air police + cameras + heat maps (same as in HwR) -- everything in one package on your phone.

But dammit what about you, @ferius? What about the Highway Radar app I like so much (other than not being able to integrate an external radar device)? :p

I've now spent all this time on this forum and I'm so excited to see you implement the color coded notification bubbles and now you are telling me to consider another App when I have found my dream App? :p:)

Seriously though, it seems V1G2 in all dark mode (no Christmas lights!) installed and hidden behind the rear view mirror so I don't have to see it along with JBV1 is the closet to what I want.

Any chance Highway Radar can integrate with V1G2 just like JBV1?

I'm now curious how Garmin got around this patent that I was not aware of a radar device communicating with a phone. It's crazy that this was deemed a concept worth of a patent.

I have an interesting patent story for you: MobileEye used to work with Tesla for their Autopilot software and MobileEye had patented a way to read speed limit signs by breaking the image down to layers and extrapolating the speed limit sign data from the image layers. In 2016, Tesla and Mobile Eye ended their relationship and Tesla vehicles built since then have not been able implement speed sign recognition. Just a couple of months ago I received an update that adds speed sign recognition because Tesla implemented speed limit sign recognition using neural net pattern recognition completely bypassing the MobileEye patent.

As a software developer, I detst software patents so much. Imagine if someone patented basic search, sort, or comparison algorithms... But I digress.

Last edited:

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
But dammit what about you, @ferius? What about the Highway Radar app I like so much (other than not being able to integrate an external radar device)? :p

I've now spent all this time on this forum and I'm so excited to see you implement the color coded notification bubbles and now you are telling me to consider another App when I have found my dream App? :p:)

Well, I'm using Uniden R7 now, which, unfortunately, doesn't have Bluetooth.
If I was choosing an RD now, I'd probably gone with V1G2, however, at that time the R7 was the long range king -- this is important here in Washington.

Also, I don't normally spend significant time on implementing things that I don't personally use. At this point I don't think I'm going to buy a V1G2, as I'm waiting for Theia now.

Also, I'm always open to collaboration with other forum members. If you'd like to create a module for Highway Radar adding a bluetooth integration with V1G2, that could be awesome. I'm sure a lot of forum members will very much appreciate this effort.

Last edited:

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
I personally think he might enjoy a HiFi Netradar DSP. +BT.

RadarNodar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well, I'm using Uniden R7, which, unfortunately doesn't have Bluetooth.
If I was choosing an RD now, I'd probably gone with V1G2, however, at that time R7 was the long range king -- this is important here in Washington.

Also, I don't normally spend significant time on implementing things that I don't personally use. At this point I don't think I'm going to buy a V1G2, as I'm waiting for Theia now.

Also, I'm always open to collaboration with other forum members. If you'd like to create a module for Highway Radar adding a bluetooth integration with V1G2, that could be awesome. I'm sure a lot of forum members will very much appreciate this effort.

That makes sense. Will the Theia interface be wireless? Seems like I can continue to use Highway Radar with the added Theia capability for radar alerts at a future date. This way I can continue to use Highway Radar along with the color coded alert bubbles :D

Hopefully Theia will be as compact as possible and will have a fully silent dark mode with no Christmas lights so I can use Theia as a blackbox radar detector that I interface with solely through Highway Radar.

So it seems Theia and Highway radar is what I've been looking for as long as the data transmission is wireless and they have a dark and silent mode so I can give it power and hide it behind the rear view mirror.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
That makes sense. Will the Theia interface be wireless? Seems like I can continue to use Highway Radar with the added Theia capability for radar alerts at a future date. This way I can continue to use Highway Radar along with the color coded alert bubbles :D

Hopefully Theia will be as compact as possible and will have a fully silent dark mode with no Christmas lights so I can use Theia as a blackbox radar detector that I interface with solely through Highway Radar.

So it seems Theia and Highway radar is what I've been looking for as long as the data transmission is wireless and they have a dark and silent mode so I can give it power and hide it behind the rear view mirror.

Theia is not going to be a small detector; it will be a bit bigger than a Max 360 which is already on the larger side. Believe it or not, the knob is what makes it longer than a Max 360 - the internal rotary encoder dimensions added about 12mm to the device, not including the external knob. But we really believe it's worth it from a UI standpoint as opposed to buttons.

I really believe what you are looking for is a hidden V1G2 and an app.

Last edited:

RadarNodar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
You've had like 8 people tell you that V1G2+JBV1 Is the closest you are going to get to what you're asking for.

Message received :)

I still hope one day someone will build a radar detector with no UI and as compact as possible to be used solely with an App like Highway Radar...

Last edited:

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Not trying to come across as rude btw, I just think that's the best bet. :)

I'm plagued by analysis paralysis and go through this massive wormhole of overthinking, then end up doing what people had recommended all along.

NVR2FST

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I don't want wires crawling across the dashboard and up my windshield. So I run the wires under the dash, up behind an "A" pillar and under the headliner at the top of the windshield. My V1G1 is inside the pouch that is a part of my visor organizer. The pouch is open in the front and back. As a matter of luck the visor organizer and my car's visor are almost exactly the same color.

This is a very discreet method of mounting a RD, IMHO. The only problem is that I ordered the last visor organizer they had for sale on Ebay years ago and there are no more.

Hopefully, someone committed to our hobby will produce a really high quality visor organizer specifically intended to semi-conceal a variety of RD's.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I stuck my V1 in the middle of the car (attached to the dome light plastic surround). It has both front and rear view and performs great in this location.

Clean windshield, out of site for Leo or thieves. Can’t get a cleaner dash than a Model 3.

You are the one thinking in 1980’s on the creative ways mount V1’s. Others have mounted V1’s under custom enclosures on the rear window deck of a sedan. And behind plastic bumpers. Many used a remote display along with Bluetooth LE.

Theia will have similar options but it sounds like it’s display and control will be worth keeping in view and reach. But I imagine there will be a Bluetooth Remote Display as there is now for the V1.

Last edited:

NVR2FST

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I stuck my V1 in the middle of the car (attached to the dome light plastic surround). It has both front and rear view and performs great in this location.

That's what I'd like to do but it appeared to me that a safe and reliable installation of that sort was beyond my own limited mechanical abilities without professional assistance. Maybe a car stereo shop could fabricate a bracket and run the wiring for me.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
Okay, don't get me wrong as I am completely for and about thinking outside the box. BUT having said that, what the OP is proposing isn't anything other then a souped 1980 radar detector with Blue Tooth remote feed horns! Frequency based BT Sensors is not going to overcome a single current RD shortcoming.

The ONLY way to get out of the 80's is to stop with the silly Frequency Detecting and go to actual Signal Identification! Looking for ONLY actual Police Radar and only alerting on actual Police Radar is the only way to eliminate false alerts from RF sources in the same bandpass as Police Radar Frequency Bands. By using Signal Identification Detection, all BSM false alerts are eliminated and without filtering which either hurts reaction time due to delaying the Alert until a specific signal strength is breached or dialing down sensitivity or a combination of both.

And guess what, a certain manufacture has promised by the end of 2020 to do just that, drag us out of the 1980's and produce a real Radar Detector that is NOT just a Frequency Specific specialized Frequency Detector masquerading as a Radar Detector. It is called Theia.

I truly see Theia as the BSM solution and with its Open API, mating it with an App like JBV1 would and will be the ultimate counter measure.

As far as hidden remote installation of Theia, that is probably years away for a RC-M type Theia model (Theia RC-M with ALP integration, I'm all in!). So it is up to the Driver to get creative. As for me, I am hoping @OBeerWANKenobi or somebody comes up with a 3D printed windshield mount like his V1 mount for Theia. My RD is high and tight to the top of the WS and additionally concealed by the Frits. No wires can be seen and nobody sees and RD hanging out for somebody to start thinking about breaking into my vehicle for a smash and grab.

There is also great magnet tech out now. Take a piece of sheet metal and fashion it to fit under the headliner in a tight U like a money clip. Add a magnet to it with VBH or whatever and put one of the cellular phone thin metal steel plates on Theia. Boom, high and tight headliner install but it is still quickly removable if one wishes to take it out of the vehicle each time!

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Seriously though, it seems V1G2 in all dark mode (no Christmas lights!) installed and hidden behind the rear view mirror so I don't have to see it along with JBV1 is the closet to what I want.

The new V1G2 in dark mode is about as non-descript as you are currently going to get. No name on the top or sides, one button on the front, app based alerts since 2012. Don't hide it behind a mirror though because the rear horn needs to be able to view the back window.
You can't see my V1's from outside the car. It's not hard to achieve that effect. I've been running my V1's in dark mode with a Concealed Display for 20 years, and running an app for 5+ years.

Also, nothing against Ferius at all, but you should look at JBV1 too. Ferius and Johnboy00 have collaborated on their respective products and what you are asking is more in line with the JBV1 variant of the two.

Discord Server

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsleetb