To seg or not to seg, that is the question.

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Today

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I segment my R7 but not my V1G2. I have used it without issues unsegmented but seems to be the way to go if for nothing else to keep it quite. I wonder now if the V1G2 could indeed use a little muting on the bottom end. I see really low 34 detections, dont recall the exact numbers, but I could look in JBV1 maybe. Not often enough to be an issue but curious.

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's some interesting settings, and I've seen them recommended before. But I thought that Id seen somewhere here that running band one around here was recommended as well for drifting guns. Has there been any reasonable decisions made on that idea?
I haven't seen anything about seg 1.

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

cihkal

♟️ WWG1WGA ⛈️
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Segmenting has two **potential** benefits, depending upon the hardware and software platform.

First, by segmenting, a detector will either:
a) still "scan" the segmented frequencies but "ignore" any alert; or
b) "skip" the segmented frequencies altogether.

"Ignoring" may reduce certain alerts.

"Skipping" may potentially increase scan rates. So you need to know how any particular detector skips or ignores. "Skipping" is a risk if you get it wrong.

Second, if the scan rate is high enough, "skipping" is of no benefit. But "ignoring" might, provided its not ignoring a real threat. Herein poses the risk.

If the RL360c actually "skips" rather than "ignores" blocked frequencies, then you might see an increased scan rate. But with the V1G2's super quick scan rate, there will be no practical benefit to the scan rate by "skipping".

Personally, I like the V1G2 scan rate, which is off the charts and reportedly able to scan all of the bands in about 0.01 second!!!

But either way, "ignoring" alerts from some frequencies, can reduce false alerts, but at the risk of "ignoring" a real threat if you are not both: (i) very careful; and totally and (ii) continuously up to date.
It's actually.... (Sorry 😬)

4ms - front AND back combined

Which is also 0.004sec

Or 250 scans front and back per second!

On a level of its own - 250 virtual images of the spectrum according to Mike and his interview with vortex, and the HPI RD patent.

This is why CFs are a reporting thing only for the V1G2.

Segmentation can help different detectors "speed up" by not spending time looking for freqs you're not interested in. It also helps more though, with removing Ka falses if you turn off the RDs Ka filter.

Attachments

• 3GHz Virtual Image.png
    3GHz Virtual Image.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Disco47

Roll Tide
Beginner User
Reaction score
I don't think newer digital detectors really benefit from dementation. The exception is segmenting to eliminate false alerts. Buy I'd be careful with that.

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I don't think newer digital detectors really benefit from dementation. The exception is segmenting to eliminate false alerts. Buy I'd be careful with that.
"I don't think newer digital detectors really benefit from dementation" that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. Can you elaborate why you feel that way?

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

I'm not trying to be rude, but your statement is factually wrong. As you work your way up levels you will see why. If you own an R series or a RL360c you can test this out from yourself as well with a radar gun by slowly turning on one segment a time to see how long the delay increases with each. With some units it is more noticeable than others. The M360c can be segmented, however they have designed that, as you say above, where it just acts to mute and has no performance benefit. The V1G2 is already lightning fast and needs no segmenting. There are new digital RD's on the market that do indeed benefit highly from being segmented.

Bloovy One

135,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I never dement my detectors.

We have clearly exhausted segmenting of detectors in the past though. There's a wealth of information on what is safe and what isn't.

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I never dement my detectors.

We have clearly exhausted segmenting of detectors in the past though. There's a wealth of information on what is safe and what isn't.
Of course. I'll see what I can find with a search.

Bloovy One

135,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I suggest you look here at these links. There's a great deal of info in the first post alone of that thread. :)

Simply put though; If I run segments, I run:
33.7 to 33.9
34.4 to 34.9
35.4 to 35.6

MASI

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
t's actually.... (Sorry 😬)

4ms - front AND back combined

Which is also 0.004sec

Or 250 scans front and back per second!

Thank you for providing that! (As an advanced user, you have access to things the rest of us don't).
Your information has only strengthened my point - that the V1G2 scan rate is so fast that lockouts (even if they effectively increased the scan rate) would not make any meaningful difference. Especially when you consider that the average human reaction time is around 0.25 seconds. In that time, the V1G2 has already made about 60 full scans!

Last edited:

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
As I live in the Atlanta area (Dragon eye as well) safely segmenting the RL360c would only omit a couple of frequencies, if I'm correct. Would it really make that big of a difference to segment it?
If segmenting Atlanta .... 1,2,4,5,6,8. Shoild do ya good. NORMALLY 24568 but Transporter found some Cobb Co transmitting on seg 1.

My .02 cents

Benzr

cihkal

♟️ WWG1WGA ⛈️
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you for providing that! (As an advanced user, you have access to things the rest of us don't).
Your information has only strengthened my point - that the V1G2 scan rate is so fast that lockouts (even if they effectively increased the scan rate) would not make any meaningful difference. Especially when you consider that the average human reaction time is around 0.25 seconds. In that time, the V1G2 has already made about 60 full scans!

I'm here for you, and all the good people of the forum!

🇺🇲

Ain't nothing as fast as the V1G2, nope... nah. It'll track.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200612-020303~2.png
    Screenshot_20200612-020303~2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

kparton

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm here for you, and all the good people of the forum!

🇺🇲

Ain't nothing as fast as the V1G2, nope... nah. It'll track.
To play devil's advocate, from what I see the V1G2 is the fastest, but is it the longest ranged?? *cough, R7, cough*

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
To play devil's advocate, from what I see the V1G2 is the fastest, but is it the longest ranged?? *cough, R7, cough*
On Ka, yes. On segments 2,5,8 it's superior in range to the R7.

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

The G2 has bested the R7 in testing. The RL360c, V1G2, R7 are all extremely close (ka).

cihkal

♟️ WWG1WGA ⛈️
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You may not have seen the post by SquirrelMaster where, in his testing, the V1G2 bested the R7 by A MILE in difficult, hilly terrain.

The V1G2 is definitely the fastest, make no mistake. Also works differently than everything else out there which is why that is.

Think spectrum analyzer 🤫

I've seen enough from others and my own daily use (essential worker), coupled with browsing VRs patents and general research papers... to not need a devil's advocate 👍

Not even considering the above, if some were better consumers they would wonder why it's taken Uniden this long to, hopefully, improve the BSM filter. It's not hard to make a RD go *bing* from really far out for any hint of K band 😂... aka the R series.

You know what's truly a legacy RD? Any that gain big benefits from turning off their Ka filter and implementing segmentation. Truly, think about it.

When you think of the V1G2, think of a loaf of bread and its individual slices [virtual images of the spectrum in the frequency domain at a specific point in time].

Hence why segmentation is not needed and how the V1G2 can track things like the CX-5. It would seem as if the V1G2 is capable of [CW] discrimination to me 😬, at least to some degree.

I see you're new here, keep up the research! 🇺🇲 Lot of good info if you dig around.

👇😜

Attachments

• CMEM09024FU1.pdf
    749.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 3GHz Virtual Image.png
    3GHz Virtual Image.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20200612-020303~2.png
    Screenshot_20200612-020303~2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20200920-131328~2.png
    Screenshot_20200920-131328~2.png