Looking for Jack recommendations

oktavf

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Harbor freight? Amazon? Don't need a huge jack so something decent maybe small or medium sized? Number of pumps not important but small SUV compatible for the woman's needs! ;)

Posted from my LM-V350 using the RDF Mobile App!

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
What are you looking for? Jack stands? Floor jack? Something to store in the vehicle for changing a flat tire on the side of the road?

Regardless, avoid Harbor Freight. Good for some things, but nothing you’d trust your life to.

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
What are you looking for? Jack stands? Floor jack? Something to store in the vehicle for changing a flat tire on the side of the road?

Regardless, avoid Harbor Freight. Good for some things, but nothing you’d trust your life to.
HF jacks are fine. You don't trust your life to a jack. Don't buy HF jack stands though.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't trust your life to a jack.
Hahaha you might not, but so many people do! To some extent you have to trust it while you position your jack stands. But definitely do not get HF jack stands.

Google turned up what seems to be a reasonably non-stupid set of floor jack recommendations, in case it helps:

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
HF jack. For an SUV a 3 ton. I have the 1.5ton alum racing low profile jack

thesilverbullet

Clemson Tigers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
HF jacks stands had a recall and the replacements were recalled

Post automatically merged:

i bought this low profile model for my s2k & g37. it works great and for a good price.

safety wise i would never rely on any jack. i always use jack stands and would be more concerned about the quality of the jacks stands i use. i would never put any body part in harms way without jack stands.

Last edited:

oktavf

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Floor jack thanks! :)

SWB

Blue Taco
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Always get a little bigger than you need. HF aluminum double pump jacks are decent.

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Hahaha you might not, but so many people do! To some extent you have to trust it while you position your jack stands.
To a certain extent, but definitely do not get under the car while positioning your jackstands. Don't get under the car until two stands AND the jack are securely in place. As well as a wheel if you're going to be removing it anyway.

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I recommend Gentleman. Jack's version of Rye is also decent. Even black label is decent these days but the Single Barrel 100 proof stuff is a little medicinal.

omgboost

Left Lane Hog
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Harbor freight jacks are fine. I have a 3 ton one for my SUVs and they work well. Have done brake jobs and suspension jobs, no issue. Some of their jacks are the same exact one that Snap on sells. I will echo everyone else in that you need Jack stands and don't get the harbor freight Jack stands.

oktavf

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Harbor freight jacks are fine. I have a 3 ton one for my SUVs and they work well. Have done brake jobs and suspension jobs, no issue. Some of their jacks are the same exact one that Snap on sells. I will echo everyone else in that you need Jack stands and don't get the harbor freight Jack stands.
Never trusted Jack stands anyways so i usually shove the removed tire and or thick wood pieces under the frame! ;)

aim4squirrels

Coming soon...
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Make sure the jack you choose has enough lift for the SUV.

I have a craftsman 3 ton with a 15" lift that gets under the Challenger great, but it won't lift high enough to get the wife's SUV tire off the ground. I have to use her scissor jack that came with the car to lift it then the jack stand. It's a whipping.

If I don't have to remove the tire, I use these:

Phantom Z3

The new kid on the block...
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yea, never had issues with HF jacks except that they're big. Used to carry one in my trunk which definitely came in handy but made my ride height squat an inch or so and made my mpg a bit worse.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shrikantsoni