So grateful for @ferius! Could you please color code alert bubbles?

RadarNodar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
First of all I want to express my gratitude to @ferius for such an incredible job with the Highway Radar App!

HIghway Radar is basically the radar app of my dreams and I'm really picky about features and the UI. I drive a Tesla Model S and as much as I love the car, there is no Android Auto integration so I have been running Daze on my phone. Unfortunately, Daze on my phone is such a miserable brain-dead app with a "designed by committee" idiotic dumbed down user interface with hardly any customization options available.

My biggest issue with Daze has been that I just want it to run in the background and let me know of ALL police and speed camera alerts but Daze fails so miserably at this when not actively navigating somewhere. My other big pet peeve is that it does not warn you of speed cameras unless you are driving above the speed limit with no way to ALWAYS alert for speed cameras. What an awful decision because you could be going the speed limit, accelerate a bit to pass someone or make a lane change and get a ticket because you received no alert prior to the brief bit of acceleration above the limit.

I love how Highway Radar offers what I've always wanted. Basically run in the background and alert me to ALL police and speed cameras ALWAYS regardless of the speed I'm driving and alert me just the way I want to receive the alerts with volume, frequency, and duration control. What an amazing app! I'm a software developer and this is exactly the app I would have created if I wanted to build my own app for myself. Thank you for the amazing work!

As I use this app, I have a few suggestions and I hope @ferius will be open to some of these suggestions. Please know that I am thrilled and grateful for all your hard work :)

So far my biggest issues with the app has to do with the map presentation:

• Could we please have an option for "North points up" option for the map? This is how I always read maps and it helps me instantly orient myself with the direction I am going and it also would then match with the "north up" may on the car's navigation display.
  • Could we have a speed dependent zoom option? When I'm driving 20-40 mph in busy urban settings there are speed cameras and alerts all over the place so it would be really useful to see a clear and large zoomed in may display that clearly shows what is ahead for the next 1-2 miles. At the same time when you are driving 60-80mph on a highway it is more helpful to see a zoomed out view of the map so I can clearly see what is ahead for about the next 5+ miles.
  • I love all the "info bubbles" that show threats and concerns but when I glance down on map, the text is so hard to read and the type of alert is so difficult to discern. For example, if you are driving in busy urban traffic and glance down at the map below, you see the 4 alert squared but it's hard to tell the alerts apart and instantly pick out the type and severity of the alert.
Screenshot_20200911-133119_Highway Radar (Small).jpg

May I suggest an interface similar to the one below? It takes just a second to glance at the map below to know the locations of police, a car stranded on the road, an object on the road, and an accident. A white background with black text also makes it super easy to read the distance and a slightly gray background separates the space for when the alert was posted.

I really hope you will consider implementing something like this so you can instantly understand the alerts on the map while driving.

Updated_Infobubbles_Screenshot_20200911-133119_Highway Radar (Small).jpg

I have a suggestion for the color codes for the info bubbles:
  • Black for objects on the road or potholes.
  • Brown for animals or roadkill.
  • Blue for vehicles on the road or shoulder.
  • Red for police.
  • Orange for accidents.
If we can use the same color coded alerts for the "Arrows View" it would be awesome so you can instantly glance at the arrow notifications and know what to expect without having to spend extra time discerning each type of arrow alert.

Thanks again for the wonderful app and I hope you will consider my request :)

Alert Bubbles (Small).JPG

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the post, it is really a great pleasure receving such a feedback. And it is even better receiving constructing feedback along with some awesome proposals!

Could we please have an option for "North points up" option for the map? This is how I always read maps and it helps me instantly orient myself with the direction I am going and it also would then match with the "north up" may on the car's navigation display.
Sure, already added to my backlog.

1600219101120.png

Could we have a speed dependent zoom option? When I'm driving 20-40 mph in busy urban settings there are speed cameras and alerts all over the place so it would be really useful to see a clear and large zoomed in may display that clearly shows what is ahead for the next 1-2 miles. At the same time when you are driving 60-80mph on a highway it is more helpful to see a zoomed out view of the map so I can clearly see what is ahead for about the next 5+ miles.
It already works for auto-zoom. However, currently auto-zoom only zooms on map labels.
Extending speed-dependent zoom to all contitions makes a lot of sense, but might take some time. I hope I'll be able to do that by the end of October. I don't have that much time to spend on the app now.

I love all the "info bubbles" that show threats and concerns but when I glance down on map, the text is so hard to read and the type of alert is so difficult to discern. For example, if you are driving in busy urban traffic and glance down at the map below, you see the 4 alert squared but it's hard to tell the alerts apart and instantly pick out the type and severity of the alert.

May I suggest an interface similar to the one below? It takes just a second to glance at the map below to know the locations of police, a car stranded on the road, an object on the road, and an accident. A white background with black text also makes it super easy to read the distance and a slightly gray background separates the space for when the alert was posted.

I really hope you will consider implementing something like this so you can instantly understand the alerts on the map while driving.

I have a suggestion for the color codes for the info bubbles:
  • Black for objects on the road or potholes.
  • Brown for animals or roadkill.
  • Blue for vehicles on the road or shoulder.
  • Red for police.
  • Orange for accidents.
If we can use the same color coded alerts for the "Arrows View" it would be awesome so you can instantly glance at the arrow notifications and know what to expect without having to spend extra time discerning each type of arrow alert.

This is the part I like the most. I really really like your design proposal, and I'll definitely implement that.
Probably, I'll keep the existing colors, but otherwise this looks really great! Thanks!

Currently I have the following colors:
  • Black for police
  • Blue for aircraft
  • Orange for hazards and accidents
  • Violet for cameras
  • Red reserved for Laser, Ka and MRCD band (future Theia integration)
  • Yellow reserved for K and X bands (future Theia integration)

RadarNodar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks so much for taking the time to go over the few suggestions! Totally understand about your time constraints! Hopefully you can have a paid option in some way so we can all support you :)

I think Auto Zoom should basically be more temporal and based more on what is ahead in about the next 5-10 minutes of city driving and about the next 10-20 minutes of driving for highway traffic, when things are more spread out. I guess if you use "average speed" over a minute or two of driving it will have the same temporal properties. Some way to fine tune this individually would be awesome as some people might prefer more aggressive zooming in and others may prefer a more zoomed out view for each of city and highway driving.

Thanks so much for implementing the alert bubbles with clear colors and crisp easy to read text on a white background. I think this approach allows you to figure out what's ahead in really just half a second because as soon as you glance at the map, your brain will internalize Black and violet colors.

May we please have an option to combine red and yellow by making them both red? When I drive, I personally would not care if it is Ka or K. I'll just keep an eye on my speed in both cases. This way I'll know to just keep an eye out for Black, Violet, and Red for all practical purposes.

For the violet cameras, could we please have an option to exclude red light cameras altogether? I never ever run red lights so it does not matter to me even if there is a red light camera at every intersection. Also Tesla just released a software update that can automatically stop the car for red lights (I've also turned on an option where the car will alert me if it thinks I might run a red light) :p:D

I can't wait to see your info bubble update with the colors and ceasy to read text! Would be awesome if you can use the same color and format for the arrows view as well.

Thanks again for all your hard work. I develop software and user interfaces so if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McSleepy