Settings Questions

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Some questions I can't seem to figure out. ( I'm using JBV1 in standalone mode.). Impressive array of options FWIW. Really love it so far.

1) Do I understand correctly that if a device does not have an ambient light sensor then there is no other way to automatically switch themes such as by time of day?

2) Using the manual on screen button to switch between map themes, is there a way to limit the choices so one could just switch between day and night and not have to go though the satellite and topo views?

3) Is there a way to resize the alert banner width to be smaller like the alert overlay? I find in landscape a few banners begins to cover too much of the map.

4) Are RLC and SpCam alerts directional? I regularly pass some and I only get an alert from one direction even though they are on both sides of the road. Maybe the database is wrong but so far it's this way for the few I have passed both ways.

5) Even though I have 'Same Road' checked off I get SpCam alerts by proximity without regard to road or direction of travel. RLCs are no issue. What am I missing here?

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
1) Yes
2) No
3) No
4) Downloaded RLC and SC locations are not directional, but user-marked locations can be
5) RLC and SC are treated in exactly the same way, and there's a fail-safe mechanism to alert to locations within a cone ahead in case a road match could not be made

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
1) Yes
2) No
3) No
4) Downloaded RLC and SC locations are not directional, but user-marked locations can be
5) RLC and SC are treated in exactly the same way, and there's a fail-safe mechanism to alert to locations within a cone ahead in case a road match could not be made
Thanks for the reply.

4) Hmmm. I am using the downloaded databases. I can't explain why I consistently do not get RLC and SpCam alerts in one direction at this location. I see the icon on the screen at the right locations too. Any suggestions?

5) Does this failsafe cone always apply or only if it can't determine what road you're on? If it always applies I suspect this is the issue. I guess I will have to play with this failsafe setting.

In one instance i'm picking up these alerts as I drive on the highway for a surface street SpCam. In another instance I a few streets over and getting the alert.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
4) Hmmm. I am using the downloaded databases. I can't explain why I consistently do not get RLC and SpCam alerts in one direction at this location. I see the icon on the screen at the right locations too. Any suggestions?

5) Does this failsafe cone always apply or only if it can't determine what road you're on? If it always applies I suspect this is the issue. I guess I will have to play with this failsafe setting.

In one instance i'm picking up these alerts as I drive on the highway for a surface street SpCam. In another instance I a few streets over and getting the alert.
There aren't really any adjustments you can make, other than alert range. If you can post a map of the road, with approximate locations of the RLC and SC, and the directions of travel for alerted and not alerted, I'll have a look at it.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
FWIW. I entered a fake camera into the database for testing purposes, I would get alerts on several different streets when ever the car was pointed towards the location and was within range. I have SRO enabled

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
FWIW. I entered a fake camera into the database for testing purposes, I would get alerts on several different streets when ever the car was pointed towards the location and was within range. I have SRO enabled
I ran out to that area again to test it and as the highway turns toward the location of the SpCam on the surface street I get the alert. If I get off at that exit the car is turning away from that camera and the alert goes away until I then turn onto the street toward the camera. Same thing around downtown but it's worse with the density of cameras. Everywhere I turn its alerting to adjacent street cameras. Not sure I feel comfortable reducing the alert distance much more either. I wish it was an either / or setting where if it looses your location it defaults to the approach angle criteria.
Post automatically merged:

Here is the map.
Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 10.05.33 PM.jpg

Last edited:

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
There are two database locations for speed cams on W Cold Spring Ln. One is for EB traffic, located just west of your location labeled "DB location of SpCam." The other one is for WB traffic, located right about where your location labeled "Actual location of SpCam" is. There's one RLC cam location sitting right in the middle of the intersection of W Cold Spring Ln and Falls Rd (that's how POI-Factory marks them; they don't mark the actual camera locations).

Driving south down I-83, you're getting that "DB" speed cam alert because of the failsafe approach angle. I'm going to tighten those parameters up a good bit and add an option to disable the failsafe altogether when both the current road and the alert location road(s) are known.

I can't explain yet why you're not getting the alerts when driving west on W Cold Spring Ln. If you have the time and you're interested in helping to make my algorithm better, it would be a tremendous help if you could use a GPS tracker to record the following drives at this map location:

1) SB on I-83 from 1 or 2 miles north of W Cold Spring Ln to just south of it
2) EB on W Cold Spring Ln from west of I-83 to Falls Rd
3) WB on W Cold Spring Ln from east of Falls Rd to I-83

Those recordings I can play back in Android Studio's emulator to simulate your driving. KML format is preferred, but I can use GPX format if that's what you can do.

Thanks,
JB

Last edited:

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I would be happy to help. I will try and get these GPS tracks today or tomorrow.

There are two database locations for speed cams on W Cold Spring Ln. One is for EB traffic, located just west of your location labeled "DB location of SpCam." The other one is for WB traffic, located right about where your location labeled "Actual location of SpCam" is.
Yep, the EB camera location is wrong. They are both where the WB one is.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ok, I PM'd you the GPS files in KML format as requested. Let me know if there is anything else you need. I also reported the incorrect camera position. Thanks for that info.

I'm going to tighten those parameters up a good bit and add an option to disable the failsafe altogether when both the current road and the alert location road(s) are known.
Thank you for doing this. Having the option is going to help a lot.

3) Is there a way to resize the alert banner width to be smaller like the alert overlay? I find in landscape a few banners begins to cover too much of the map.
Consider this one a feature request to consider. I love how the overlays look and the size is nice and compact. If this rough size were an option with the alerts stacking up on one side of the screen, it would not block the view of what's ahead on the map when in landscape mode.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Consider this one a feature request to consider. I love how the overlays look and the size is nice and compact. If this rough size were an option with the alerts stacking up on one side of the screen, it would not block the view of what's ahead on the map when in landscape mode.
I can't make them small enough to still read and not block the map. Consider using the option to limit how many rows are displayed.

Settings > Display > Alert Table > Other Alerts (bottom of settings screen)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shrikantsoni