Are radardetector repair shops?

ZeeBabar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
My Uniden R3 is having an issue that may be minor but the only solution seems to be to mail it to Uniden, wait God knows how long for it to be repaired and returned.

When I have a minor problem with my cell phone, repair places are all over town. I wonder if there are radar detector shops around.

My problem is that there is no lighting indicating anything on the screen. When my R-3 senses radar, I get the sound warnings and I can figure it out but I miss not being able to see the screen indicating k or ka, etc. No, the mute, brightness button do nothing.
You

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Not that I know of, though any small electronics shop may be willing to take a stab at it. If you're lucky, something just became disconnected and it's a simple fix. If not, the screen may be fried and it will have to go to Uniden anyway. Since I'm guessing it's out of warranty, personally, I'd just take it apart and have a look-see. If something is unhooked it should be easy to see, if not, it'll be around $80 with a trip to Uniden.

ICULookin

Road Terror- ICU watching
Beginner User
Reaction score
IIMHO -Id send it to Uniden and pay the $80. Your average electronics repair center wont have a clue how to troubleshoot a radar detector, and even if they did, their labor rate will exceed that of the ASC. Trust me to have a warranty from Uniden is superior than a local warranty of a shop that doesn't do this type of repair for a living on a pro level. I'm a retired engineer for JVC electronics and know a little about consumer electronics repair and consumer and Pro warranty. Just my .02 worth.

MASI

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Start with the simple:

1) check to make sure you actually have 12 volts at your source, i.e. cig. lighter outlet or other source if you are direct wired.
2) check the fuse inside of the lighter adapter cord running to the detector.
3) try a different RD power cord.

If none of these work, you likely have an internal problem and you can think about replacing or repairing it. But if you want someone that knows what they are doing to repair it, send it back to the factory.

Choose Life

35.5 hater R3 Day One User
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
The screens on these have always been its Achilles heel
Although do not have a problem with the two I have
There is also great variance on radar detection among units
As much as 33% I believe from personal and observed testing
The best single antenna ws mount right now imo still
The radar detection I've seen from it I didn't believe was possible and always hoped for

Although you have a better chance of seeing what type of lidar gun is in the officer's hands then it actually detecting laser

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're sure it's not a setting issue, your best bet is to send it into Uniden for $80.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
most shop rates would immediately go over the $80 to have a fresh unit in your hands.

FastStevie

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Outer Podunk Mississippi (Gulfport Suburbs)
There are always some dude

(you got a Cecil, yea except my Cecil is named Jimmy and he fixed my refrigerator .... and my dog for $40).

that will go exploring without even knowing how to take the darn thing apart properly but you can fix it with some duct tape, who will probe and poke and might get lucky.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fc1kitchen