Highway Radar vs JBV1 Standalone?

stnky1

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I currently run Highway Radar and it's great. So I'm looking at JBV1 in standalone mode (I don't have a V1) and I'm wondering if there are any advantages (other than personal preference) for switching. Is there something that one app does particularly well over the other? From what I have read the functionality is very similar.

SilenceDogoodNinja

driven by data
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
For me, they are both very similar. If you have a TMG laser system, then JBV1 has integration for that as well. I personally switch between them when not using my V1G2, but both are great either way.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you aren't using JBV1 for any of it's other awesome integration functionality with a V1 or TMG, then I'm not sure there are any large advantages. I think it would be mostly user preference at that point. I run it standalone instead of HR but that's because I'm used to it and run it with a G2 or TMG as often as not.

I imagine that HR would be simpler and lighter for those that don't need integration with V1 or TMG.

stnky1

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Great! Thank you both for responding.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have a hybrid setup. I have been using JBV1. I like Highway Radar as well but own a V1 so I lean that direction. The way I use JBV1 is like standalone but since I have a V1 I see the frequency displayed on screen as well. I dont use the muting functions of JBV1 at the moment, just the services you get standalone plus the freq viewing/logging features. Like the others, I think it comes down to your preference.

Bloovy One

138,000+ miles with JBV1!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
JBV1 shows weather maps and CSA dots in addition to Highway Radar's heatmaps.
Also, JBV1 shows alerts from camera databases.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
JBV1 shows weather maps and CSA dots in addition to Highway Radar's heatmaps.
Also, JBV1 shows alerts from camera databases.

Good points. HR can do weather, but not also heatmaps at the same time. I wonder why. JBV1’s CSA dota are more clear that HR’s. I do like the HR alert list overlay that can sit atop Google Maps or something though. Does HR do the screen flasher? I like that feature with JBV1.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I don't spend enough time with Highway Radar to know. (But I do donate a couple of bucks a month to Ferius for his heatmaps!)

I don't remember a screen flashing feature. :)

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I don't spend enough time with Highway Radar to know. (But I do donate a couple of bucks a month to Ferius for his heatmaps!)

I don't remember a screen flashing feature. :)

I gotta admit I don’t spend enough time with his app either, but I’m looking forward to playing with it more this week. :) I like it as a simpler alternative to JBV1 for non-V1 users.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
No, there is no screen flasher. I thought that it only makes sens for sudden radar alerts though.
However, it might be a good idea to add to notify of new reports straight ahead.

Weather, heatmaps, and traffic jams don't work together to avoid overcluttering the display. Instead I made switching between them very fast and easy.
I think, I can make them work together (though I will be a bit ugly IMO). I just didn't think there is a need for that kind of stuff.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm
No, there is no screen flasher. I thought that it only makes sens for sudden radar alerts though.
However, it might be a good idea to add to notify of new reports straight ahead.

Weather, heatmaps, and traffic jams don't work together to avoid overcluttering the display. Instead I made switching between them very fast and easy.
I think, I can make them work together (though I will be a bit ugly IMO). I just didn't think there is a need for that kind of stuff.
I dont think they all work together well either, not at the same time, but having the option would be nice. I prefer one layer at a time and its normally the heat maps but I could see weather overlaid top of one of the other two at times.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
BTW, For those that are interested in helping out two of our developers:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Okay so a few thoughts about this after running both. (and oops, apparently you're not supposed to do that...)

JBV1 two 35.5 alerts and CSA alert, and Highway Radar CAS alert overlay, over Google Maps.png

Both apps worked great overlaying onto Google Maps and doing a better job than Waze at alerting to CSA's. They'd give me longer alert distances, more audible info about the alert, and filter out alerts (falses) where the officer is less likely to be there.

I'm definitely more comfortable with JBV1 since I've been using it longer. Its alerts do a great job of getting my attention visually. It can flash the screen as I approach and give me bright red or blue overlays right on top of Google Maps. It worked great and I really liked it.

I liked how HR can do a good job of continuing to alert you as you get closer. I also really liked its CSA list overlay so I can see at a glance if there's a bunch of officers around or if things are pretty empty around me.

Highway Radar showing multiple CSA alerts on overlay over Google Maps.png

I found it confusing that HR's audio alerts (the beeper) didn't always happen. I see now that it uses low speed muting (PSL +5) for the beeper. I thought it was solely for alerting for high priority alerts, not just when I'm driving faster.

I see that the beeper requires 4 dots for the threat level or more and I'm not entirely sure what the criteria is for the threat levels.

Last edited:

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I found it confusing that HR's audio alerts (the beeper) didn't always happen. I see now that it uses low speed muting (PSL +5) for the beeper. I thought it was solely for alerting for high priority alerts, not just when I'm driving faster.

I see that the beeper requires 4 dots for the threat level or more and I'm not entirely sure what the criteria is for the threat levels.

BTW, PSL+5 and 4 dots minimum aren't default settings. I've set them to you when we did testing last time :)

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
BTW, PSL+5 and 4 dots minimum aren't default settings. I've set them to you when we did testing last time :)

haha I was curious! Speaking of which, could you elaborate please (perhaps in another thread if that's appropriate) about what each threat level means? For example, what's the difference between 2 or 3 or 4 dots?

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
1 dot. :p

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
haha I was curious! Speaking of which, could you elaborate please (perhaps in another thread if that's appropriate) about what each threat level means? For example, what's the difference between 2 or 3 or 4 dots?

For police reports they depend on distance to the threat. For aircraft they depend on the minimum fly time for the aircraft to see you (basically, flying directly towards you).

Also, for police alerts, you can check this post, it gives more in-depth explanation and shows how you can tweak those dots. https://www.rdforum.org/threads/102737/post-1503972

jestric

Change my mind
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
...Both apps worked great overlaying onto Google Maps and doing a better job than Waze at alerting to CSA's....

I really need to get smarter on HwR.

@Vortex & @ferius, how do you get HwR to overlay onto Google Maps??? It sounds like a great feature.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
write2tusharr