For those that have blend/mirror mounts, adjust with caution!

grhomes

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Be careful when adjusting.

Had the pleasure of receiving my V1G2 after sending in for an upgrade back in July. So I'm adjusting my RD and I hear a cracking noise... The mirror falls off the windshield, taking glass with it. Now my next move is likely replacing the entire windshield.

This is why we can't have nice things

Will post pics when I can. Be safe out there!

Fenris Wolf

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm guessing the metal piece that's attached to the glass came off.

Here is the fix. It works, I've used it.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
I know Blendmounts are not all the same, but both of mine require an Allen Key for any and all adjustments. In other words, I have to loosen Allen screws, position the mount/RD, then tighten the Allen screws with an Allen Key. I am not putting the least amount of pressure on my windshield or my RVM mount IE making adjustments does not apply pressure to anything.

With both my mounts, it is impossible to make ANY adjustments by adjusting my RD. And even if I were to try, I know all I would have done was loosen the mount the improper way so I would get 20 or 30 miles down the road and have the RD swing down to a completely useless position. How do I know this, because I adjusted the position of my V1G2 the proper way but forgot to tighten the passenger side Allen screw back down after I finished on the driver side. Thirty minutes later I have to pull into a gas station so I can place it back where I want it and lock down both Allen screws and it hasn't moved since.

To my knowledge and definitely in the case of my two models, one is NOT to make ANY adjustments by pushing on the RD. Even the slightest adjustment should be done by loosening then retightening Allen screws! At least with my two mounts, there is absolutely no friction component to making adjustments, it all done by adjusting Allen screws.

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Be careful when adjusting.

Had the pleasure of receiving my V1G2 after sending in for an upgrade back in July. So I'm adjusting my RD and I hear a cracking noise... The mirror falls off the windshield, taking glass with it. Now my next move is likely replacing the entire windshield.

This is why we can't have nice things

Will post pics when I can. Be safe out there!
I drive an Audi A5. It took a year but my RVM fell off from the weight of the Blendmount and Redline detector. The windshield is ok and I had the mirror re-attached but I might be using the suction cup mount when the much heavier RL 360c arrives.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I drive an Audi A5. It took a year but my RVM fell off from the weight of the Blendmount and Redline detector. The windshield is ok and I had the mirror re-attached but I might be using the suction cup mount when the much heavier RL 360c arrives.

That sounds like a factory issue of a badly installed RVM mount or bad batch of adhesive. Not my vehicle but I would not think a Redline and BlendMount would be enough weight to cause a properly installed RVM mount to come down.

The amount of stuff hanging off my RVM mount would make your head spin and I have been driving off-road for 15 years and all my stuff is still hanging on tight. Some of that washboard stuff I have to drive on feels like my teeth are going to come out. The stuff under the elastic straps on my visors vibrates out and falls on the floor when I drive on those washboard roads. RVM mount and all the stuff hanging there stays put. One of the reasons I got the Blendmount was because the V1G1 bounced all over the place using the suction cup mount when driving over the washboard roads.

rd4117

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Certainly not the first time I've heard of this happening - that coupled with preferring to mount RD's as high up as possible has kept the standard suction cup mounts in my cars

bluehemi

oh 👃
Advanced User
Reaction score
I no longer use my blend mount due to other reasons but this is the first I heard of something like this. I use a perm mount above the mirror

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That sounds like a factory issue of a badly installed RVM mount or bad batch of adhesive. Not my vehicle but I would not think a Redline and BlendMount would be enough weight to cause a properly installed RVM mount to come down.

The amount of stuff hanging off my RVM mount would make your head spin and I have been driving off-road for 15 years and all my stuff is still hanging on tight. Some of that washboard stuff I have to drive on feels like my teeth are going to come out. The stuff under the elastic straps on my visors vibrates out and falls on the floor when I drive on those washboard roads. RVM mount and all the stuff hanging there stays put. One of the reasons I got the Blendmount was because the V1G1 bounced all over the place using the suction cup mount when driving over the washboard roads.

There's only one way to attach the Belenmount and the adhesive isn't the issue, the RVM can be removed by twisting it off the part which is attached to the windshield with adhesive. What holds the mirror to the adhesive attached part, are three prongs which became bent, this loosened it and caused it to fall. Also, the RVM is very difficult to adjust and doing so puts pressure on those prongs. It's a common feature of Audi's.

Last edited:

JayyyR

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
One of the reasons why I prefer a permanent 3M mount close as possible to headliner. Primarily I love the stealth aspect and being able to make it dissapear with a flip of the visor.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
There's only one way to attach the Belenmount and the adhesive isn't the issue, the RVM can be removed by twisting it off the part which is attached to the windshield with adhesive. What holds the mirror to the adhesive attached part, are three prongs which became bent, this loosened it and caused it to fall. Also, the RVM is very difficult to adjust and doing so puts pressure on those prongs. It's a common feature of Audi's.

Other then poor install and bad adhesive, I should have also added terrible engineering! How long have we had VHB attached RVMs? I am almost sure my father's 1978 Impala had a VHB windshield mounted RVM. Yet Audi has to over think it, great!

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Other then poor install and bad adhesive, I should have also added terrible engineering! How long have we had VHB attached RVMs? I am almost sure my father's 1978 Impala had a VHB windshield mounted RVM. Yet Audi has to over think it, great!

Its an A series after all, I'll bet their R8 has a better quality RVM.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabby