Which RD for Ontario?

lpz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm looking at choosing different RD for use in Ontario - mostly in the city so I would like GPS filtering, BSM, and all the other false alerts to be cancelled out if possible. I'd also like for it to be very RDD immune.

I like the V1G2 but it feels to me that it won't do well in city driving unless I have the app running (which I probably would prefer as I like to run waze as a secondary option). Another option is Radenso Pro M. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

rd4117

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
From what I've read - I'd go with the Radenso in Canada!

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
It sure seems like the Pro M is the right tool for this. Good BSM, MRCT/D, RDD immune, and great customer service (the team is on here all the time).

BMW4FUN

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
If your budget permits and you can wait until the end of the year, I'd hold out for Theia, by Radenso.
That's what I'm doing. If you can't then the Pro M will be a good choice, the new Redline 360 is another option (but very expensive for a legacy detector).
I'm currently running a Redline Original (have had it for many years), it's outdated, but still does the trick for now (very chatty in the city though, as to be expected with this old detector).

wolfpacal

Advanced User
Reaction score
V1G2 with JBV1 is rock solid. Redline 360C is too big and bulky for it to be visibly stealth. Get a visor holder whichever way you go. A RD can be RDD immune, but not to a LEO's sharp eye.

lpz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for your inputs everyone!

@BMW4FUN - I actually used to own a Magnum STI. I really liked it for what it was but I just want something more up-to-date and less chatty in city driving. I got rid of mine because of false alerts from BSM/RADAR systems in modern vehicles.

Can anyone tell me what benefits I would get picking one over the other with V1G2 versus Radenso Pro M apart from the very lengthy purchasing process for the V1?

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
No MRCT/D on the V1. My understanding is that is a big deal for your area.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Pro-M, Redline 360c, Redline EX,

Pretty much in that order until I can test the R360c myself.

V1G2 could be an option... but you’ve already stated that you’d rather not run an app. Beside it has no MRCT/MRCD detection as of yet.

The other 3 do and are stealth. The Pro-M being the smallest. The R360c being the newest and the best range to normal radar and has arrows. It’s also the most expensive

lpz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
To clarify, is MRCT/MRCD used in Ontario? (I do ON-QC Road trips at times). Really just in it for security.

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Gotta be 100% stealth in Ontario...not only illegal there but they confiscate them too... :p

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
This thread may help...

stnky1

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
MRCD/MRCT not used in Ontario (yet...). The new photo radar cameras in the GTA and elsewhere are all Redflex. I'm also still using my STi Magnum as it's 100% stealth but I only use it on the way up to the cottage so city driving is not an issue. When driving around in the city or on my way to work I leave my RD at home and rely on Waze/Highway Radar combination as there is a greater chance of being hit with Lidar which an RD won't save you from...

mikeoxlong

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Loved my STi Magnum but it became too chatty on the 400 series highways. Moved to a Uniden R3 until the V1G2 came out.

I run my V1G2 in A mode and let V1Driver handle the muting. On the way up and back to the cottage last weekend, I saw 4 speed traps. Only one was running radar and the rest must have been running lidar but Waze alerted me to their presence.

KarryChanc

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Uniden R7 has done great things for me. It's stealth and has some of the best range on the market if you're willing to pay for it.

There's a lot of controversy on this forum regarding RDD immunity and I was even worried at first...I can tell you I've passed multiple cops alongside the road now with no issues and I bought mine brand new a month ago. Every spectre test I've found is pretty old from Q2 2019 so I trust newer models are immune

I frequently drive the QEW, 400, 118, etc..

wolfpacal

Advanced User
Reaction score
Uniden R7 has done great things for me. It's stealth and has some of the best range on the market if you're willing to pay for it.

There's a lot of controversy on this forum regarding RDD immunity and I was even worried at first...I can tell you I've passed multiple cops alongside the road now with no issues and I bought mine brand new a month ago. Every spectre test I've found is pretty old from Q2 2019 so I trust newer models are immune

I frequently drive the QEW, 400, 118, etc..
I would have bought an R7 back about a year ago, but the Spectre scares me. I don't believe the R7 is actually stealth to the Spectre III or IV, and the Elite. I hope you get to keep it.

KarryChanc

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I would have bought an R7 back about a year ago, but the Spectre scares me. I don't believe the R7 is actually stealth to the Spectre III or IV, and the Elite. I hope you get to keep it.

I'm taking a risk for sure. If I had a means of testing for anyone interested i'd love to! Unfortunately spectres are hard to get one's hands on and will set me back at least $100USD.

I bought a v1g2 at the same time for the wife. Unfortunately it's been over a month and it's still back-ordered, plus I'm reshipping from New Hampshire. Will share my thoughts on the performance of both once I get my hands on it and may one day sell my R7 if I ever get my hands on a spectre ;P

wolfpacal

Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm taking a risk for sure. If I had a means of testing for anyone interested i'd love to! Unfortunately spectres are hard to get one's hands on and will set me back at least $100USD.

I bought a v1g2 at the same time for the wife. Unfortunately it's been over a month and it's still back-ordered, plus I'm reshipping from New Hampshire. Will share my thoughts on the performance of both once I get my hands on it and may one day sell my R7 if I ever get my hands on a spectre ;P
I believe Vortex did a video, or maybe more than one video of the R7 against different models of Spectre's. The R7 was detectable from a noticeable distance. I'll try and pull the video up later.

lpz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was able to pick up a Pro M here in Toronto for a good price. Hoping it's good enough for the time being until I can find a TMG to install on my vehicle.
IMG_20200916_102212.jpg

Forts

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I too recently moved from an STi Magnum to a Pro M. Happy with it so far but (naturally) have had next to nothing as far as encounters to judge by. One thing I really like about it is it's size.... it's tiny! Makes it much

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j0hnStam0s