Excessive bogey Count

HamSolo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Does anyone else’s vlg2 display too many bogies at once sometimes, for example it will show 9 threats of Ka frequency when their is only 2 in the area ?

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes, this is a known issue called "ghosting".

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Mine does it every time. My V1 Gen 1 never had this issue.
If that's what you are experiencing, you might benefit from Custom Frequencies. Have you explained your situation in another thread somewhere?

mreservices

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Yes, but honesty been crazy with work so I haven’t come back to the site lately. I will review and try that, however when mine shows multiple bogies, they are the same frequency. When I check the logs, there are not multiple freq...just 1.

mreservices

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It’s the latest. I purchased about 1.5 months ago and it shipped with the newest version. I am hoping that there will be a firmware out to resolve.
Post automatically merged:

Here is an example from today. 1 frequency but multiple Bogey front then rear. Am I missing something?

Screenshot_20200914-110444_JBV1.jpg

Screenshot_20200914-110452_JBV1.jpg

20200914_144423.jpg

It was the 11:04 encounter.

Screenshot_20200914-110608_JBV1.jpg

Screenshot_20200914-110624_JBV1.jpg

Screenshot_20200914-110634_JBV1.jpg

Screenshot_20200914-110643_JBV1.jpg

Post automatically merged:

And this was a smaller count. I see 5-9 all the time from 1 bogey on the same frequency. Had in the teens several times but not for a while. Is there a way to do a factory reset of the V1 Gen2?

Last edited:

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Those are not multiple bogey hits. The black "3" or "5" over the arrow in the screenshots above shows the number of bars. (Numerically so that you can look at one spot on the screen for a quick overview.) Arrow for direction, number for strength.
In the logs, you are seeing "timeslices" of one signal. Each time the V1 reports it's signal, that is logged so that you can see the progression of the encounter.

The red "1" to the top left is your bogey counter.

Last edited:

mreservices

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Sorry, yes, you are correct. Brain fart. Let me look back through some more logs. I know I had some with multiple bogies. Sorry for the stupidity there....been a long day.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
No problem. :) Multiple bogeys do happen frequently.

mreservices

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I will go through tonight because I did see a weird one within the past month or so. It was KA and it had a bunch of bogeys but they were all .001 off from each other. For example, it was 33.665, 33.664, 33.663, 33.662, 33.661, 33.660, 33.599 etc.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I get the multiple bogies too. Its not all the time but there are times when it just starts counting until it hits 9 then settles down again. I might see two patrol cars driving together when it happens but not 9. Annoying, a bit anyhow, but not a deal breaker. So long as it tells me about the 1 I can wait for an update but agree it can be an annoyance.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
You might look at this thread. (Just for the basic concepts.)

Without seeing it directly, I can't say this is what's happening, but the Gen1 did this:
With my Gen1 over a year ago (as I recall) I showed that with TMF2 off, the sweeping range of my BSMs would appear as multiple signals and load up my screen with slightly different frequencies. (Even though I was only detecting two BSM emitters.) I could replicate 7-10 alerts this way frequently.

It's sort of like how CRT screens work, or movies work. The persistence of a user-facing alert that beeps and shows light is much longer than a horn-facing signal has to be to generate the alert. You could have a radar signal that appears at 24.195 for a fraction of a second and that will generate an alert that you will see for a few seconds.
With many BSM signals the frequency cycles repeatedly. For example:
24.201, etc.
Once it gets to it's upper limit, it goes back to 24.195 and does it all again. This can happen many times a second so what you get is strobe-light type of snapshots of what that signal was doing at that sample moment. The next sample will show something a little different, etc.
Lots of samples are displayed for a few seconds each even though they only lasted a fraction of those seconds. Each sample that is different than the existing alerts will generate a new alert.

Taking that a step further into territory where the frequencies are not variable; Getting a signal where the frequency varies a little (or many samples of frequencies) from two nearby emitters might be demonstrating the constructive and destructive interference that occurs from slightly different set frequencies and all of the multipath reflections that might occur.

In any case, VR is aware of what is called SHBC (Suspiciously High Bogey Counts) and has been working on it. Firmware v4.1019 is better than v4.1018 was and v4.1020 should be along fairly soon.

Last edited:

grhomes

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Guess I can join the SHBC club. Have Squirrelmaster's BT display running so no JBV1 log, but the picture says it all. Went to 4 bogeys two blocks before then got it to 9. Never saw any leos but I know the local PD was one block over, so who knows... 🙃

PXL_20200925_220910414.MP.jpg

cihkal

Let there be light!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
You might look at this thread. (Just for the basic concepts.)

Without seeing it directly, I can't say this is what's happening, but the Gen1 did this:
With my Gen1 over a year ago (as I recall) I showed that with TMF2 off, the sweeping range of my BSMs would appear as multiple signals and load up my screen with slightly different frequencies. (Even though I was only detecting two BSM emitters.) I could replicate 7-10 alerts this way frequently.

It's sort of like how CRT screens work, or movies work. The persistence of a user-facing alert that beeps and shows light is much longer than a horn-facing signal has to be to generate the alert. You could have a radar signal that appears at 24.195 for a fraction of a second and that will generate an alert that you will see for a few seconds.
With many BSM signals the frequency cycles repeatedly. For example:
24.201, etc.
Once it gets to it's upper limit, it goes back to 24.195 and does it all again. This can happen many times a second so what you get is strobe-light type of snapshots of what that signal was doing at that sample moment. The next sample will show something a little different, etc.
Lots of samples are displayed for a few seconds each even though they only lasted a fraction of those seconds. Each sample that is different than the existing alerts will generate a new alert.

Taking that a step further into territory where the frequencies are not variable; Getting a signal where the frequency varies a little (or many samples of frequencies) from two nearby emitters might be demonstrating the constructive and destructive interference that occurs from slightly different set frequencies and all of the multipath reflections that might occur.

In any case, VR is aware of what is called SHBC (Suspiciously High Bogey Counts) and has been working on it. Firmware v4.1019 is better than v4.1018 was and v4.1020 should be along fairly soon.
Here's a visual example to go along with that 👍

You see the difference between a CW and FMCW signal on a receiver design like the V1G2, generally speaking!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200920-131328~2.png
    Screenshot_20200920-131328~2.png
    561.5 KB · Views: 36

DrHow

Going “Plaid” (Tesla S). RDT refugee
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ok,

These are a couple examples of false Ka band reading that went nuts like some kind of FM Ka. I do not get this Chaos with any other brand I run. NONE. This is one sample of many over past weeks.

I also have pages of JBV1 logs of showing FM shifting variable K band popping up for eternal amounts of time.

Especially when real Ka band alert hits, and then “Mikey preference“ kicks in and defeats any K verifier actions, and all the cars surrounding me FM multi freq BSMs Show up. Mikey preference has been reported he wants to have “all alerts” show up once a real one burns through. If this is true, a total mess.

whatever they did to my G2 with FW .019, and new board, make this stuff unbearable when it shows up. VR will be getting a call next week. They should be happy to accept my JBV1 logs and figure out what is causing this. They can my G2s back for complete autopsy. Oh, and BSM “verifier” performance in general is not as good as .018 (and prior) FW.

“Houston Mike, we have a problem“. It needs to be solved. And not in VR “two weeks” reverse dog years.

otherwise G2 is the best out there.

below, notice segments of 2 (mandatory on G2), 4-5-6, 8. No other detector brand gets falses like this on same Ka segments.

98B4F48C-FD76-4184-B7EA-31061BFC0459.jpeg
377452FE-8A36-4061-BA75-B376D3222A3E.jpeg

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ok,

These are a couple examples of false Ka band reading that went nuts like some kind of FM Ka. I do not get this Chaos with any other brand I run. NONE. This is one sample of many over past weeks.

I also have pages of JBV1 logs of showing FM shifting variable K band popping up for eternal amounts of time.

Especially when real Ka band alert hits, and then “Mikey preference“ kicks in and defeats any K verifier actions, and all the cars surrounding me FM multi freq BSMs Show up. Mikey preference has been reported he wants to have “all alerts” show up once a real one burns through. If this is true, a total mess.

whatever they did to my G2 with FW .019, and new board, make this stuff unbearable when it shows up. VR will be getting a call next week. They should be happy to accept my JBV1 logs and figure out what is causing this. They can my G2s back for complete autopsy. Oh, and BSM “verifier” performance in general is not as good as .018 (and prior) FW.

“Houston Mike, we have a problem“. It needs to be solved. And not in VR “two weeks” reverse dog years.

otherwise G2 is the best out there.

below, notice segments of 2 (mandatory on G2), 4-5-6, 8. No other detector brand gets falses like this on same Ka segments.

View attachment 160327 View attachment 160329
I have no idea why, but for the last few weeks my V1G2 is doing much better with this. My problem with multiple bogeys was almost always during 34.7 alerts. It happened more when I got shot in the rear antenna. It was nothing to get 12 or more on my JBV1! Lately however, It's a lot better and most alerts I'm getting only one or two. I don't know why but I'll take it!

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It's a rare thing for me. It happens but not enough to bother me. It can be weeks to months till it happens again for me.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandy745