V1 gen 2 Question

gbriggs82

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have a question i drive a Ford explore 2019
And I have my v1 gen2 mirror mounted mirror tapped when I put my car in reverse it shuts off until I put in drive are Neutral it comes back why is that I thought maybe because it’s a safety feature on my car I have back up camera so maybe it wants you to focus on backing up I have no clue

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
You would have to ask your Ford dealer about that. The rear camera does not need power all the time only when the car is in reverse so it will switch over to the rear when needed.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Auto-dimming rear-view mirrors are shut off while in reverse. The easiest way to do that is to cut the power to them. You have your detector on that circuit. :) (Even if you don't have an auto-dimming mirror installed)

gbriggs82

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Does mirror taping mess with the performance of the detector versus using the cigarette lighter socket

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
It can in some cases. I've read of a handful of people that are finding that the voltage at their mirror is around 10 volts instead of 13.8 to 14.4.
The Gen2 can operate at voltages from 6 to 35 volts, but a mirror-tap might not be providing enough amps at enough volts to satisfy it's requirements. The Gen2 runs at 2.8 watts at idle and 5.2 at full alert. (Those numbers are at 13.8 volts internally I believe)

You don't want you detector starved for power during alerts.

Others have no problems though. Personally, I always hardwire my detectors to the fuse box. It's really not as difficult as it may seem and there are videos these days to show people how easy it is. :)
It's one of those things where realizing that all that generally holds on an A-pillar cover these days is one bolt or screw or even just pressure clips.
Pull it off, run the cable down the pillar in front of the side-curtain airbag and you're 80% done already!

Last edited:

Up All Night

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
finding that the voltage at their mirror is around 10 volts instead of 13.8 to 14.4.
The Gen2 can operate at voltages from 6 to 35 volts, but a mirror-tap might not be providing enough amps at enough volts to satisfy it's requirements. The Gen2 runs at 2.8 watts at idle and 5.2 at full alert. (Those numbers are at 13.8 volts internally I believe)
You don't want you detector starved for power during alerts.
The APPs will display the voltage at the detector. Low voltage could be an indicator of low current.
Goto Harbor Freight or Home Depot and get an inexpensive volt meter. Don’t need an expensive one. For what you’re doing, any meter will be sufficient.
Posted from my iPhone using the RDF Mobile App! 8E8DE17B-E601-4455-8136-C9C662AFC452.jpeg

Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The APPs will display the voltage at the detector. Low voltage could be an indicator of low current.
Goto Harbor Freight or Home Depot and get an inexpensive volt meter. Don’t need an expensive one. For what you’re doing, any meter will be sufficient.
Posted from my iPhone using the RDF Mobile App! View attachment 159287
I actually have that multimeter from HF. Got it for free when buying something else. It's not too bad for just measuring voltage.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

I would not depend on app readings for voltage. I've been running V1 apps for over 5 years and there's not enough sampling to see frequent voltage changes.

I agree that a inexpensive multimeter is invaluable when working with vehicle electronics.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tonyz3