BMW ALP install help

Q ship

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hey guys looking for any help on doing a 5 head ALP install on a 2017 BMW 340i Xdrive. I'll be doing the install starting this week and would like any help or suggestions from others that have done an install on a BMW or other vehicles.

I am running 3 heads front with the center head being a TX head and 2 heads rear. New system with bluetooth module. I plan to mount the heads the same as Arcome here https://www.rdforum.org/threads/74393/ Since he has the same system and same basic car plus had good results in testing.

I plan to mount the control unit on the center console near my leg on the side or near the handbrake area for ease of use and low visibility. The ecu will be mounted under the head unit and HVAC controls as there is an open space there and a cover thats easy access for install and updates, checking connections etc... I hope to mount the GPS antenna behind the center driver control display. The multi color LED I plan to mount like Arcome did on the top back side of the steering column cover so that it reflects in the gauge cluster. Lastly I plan to use the android ALP app with the phone on a mount in easy view just to the right of the HVAC controls.

I hope I can use the positive connection from the 12v plug under the glove box but I'm not sure if that is switched power.

I also could use any help in figuring out a good way to run the 3 front sensor cables through the firewall. Any ideas or pics of route to run wires or a grommet already there?

In reading the install instructions it list using a green and blue wires on the power input plug to ALP ECU for using mute and relayed power. I assume I can just use the red for switched power and black for ground if I am not using those connections or functions? True?

This is all preliminary as I am planning the install but haven't started yet.

Thanks

Q ship

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Update:

I installed the ALP system for the most part today. I got all the sensors in their general location, the wires run through the firewall, and through the trunk with all of them run to the ECU. I got the GPS mounted and the wire run to the ECU and the bluetooth and LED all ran and plugged in. Basically everything is in place, connected and ready to register and program other than mounting the sensor heads properly in their final positions.

I used the 12v outlet under the glove box for power and ground.

I mounted the GPS antenna behind the center display on the center dash speaker grill.

The LED is loose for now but tucked up behind the steering wheel centered on the top of the steering column trim.

The ECU is mounted under the head unit where there is a small cubby. The wires are also tucked in there.

The bluetooth module is below the cup holder area under the console.

The controller is mounted right in front of the handbrake lever so out of sight from most angle except the driver and not obvious otherwise.

So far so good as the install went pretty smoothly. I broke 1 clip on the right grill but I plan to replace them with all gloss black grills as these have chrome surround. I'm beat but hopefully finish, register and take pictures tomorrow.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
awesome! looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I second that - pictures please!

cognetic

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I find mechanics yoga, device & wire management, trim tools, and nylon fisher rods make for interesting puzzle work & therapy... every car/truck I've owned gets some sort of enhanced features LOL

The 3 series BMW build... some trim tab grabs are becoming inherent... lots of places for routing cables. Hope you enjoyed your exercise and meditation opportunity =:cool:

- cognetic

Q ship

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well I mostly finished the install today. I need to mount the LED and control pad more positively and then do the firmware/software stuff. Quick question Is it do the factory reset then update the firmware then install the configuration? Is that the correct order to do the first time set up?

Here are some pics of the install. Let me know if the link doesn't work. https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZRJDFKXdkN5Pef9EA

I painted the grill surrounds semi gloss black as they were chrome when I started. I zip tied some of the wires up but will wait to do the final tape and zip tie all of them after I make sure everything is working correctly and may even wait until after it is tested in case any adjustments are needed.

In some pics you can see how I filed a slot in the sides of the grill bars for the TX sensor. This allows it to stay level and point straight. I only filed approx 1/16" on the rear of the grill bars as they are closer together at the rear than the front. The bars are close to 1/4" thick so plenty of material still there. I used my long and short levels plus the included pocket level to make sure the heads were level and square facing straight ahead. I used the included double sided tape as it was thinner and seamed to hold better than my 3M emblem and trim tape I planned to use. I ran the front head wires through the large grommet on the drivers side far left of the brake pedal right above the dead pedal. There were two molded holes that didn't go all the way through I expect were there for other options or aftermarket accessories like the ALP etc.

I ran the front head wires across the cover over the drivers foot well keeping them together and clear of the knee airbag into the cubby below the head unit where the ECU is for the ALP. The read heads I ran through one of the license plate lights by cutting off a corner and using a rat tail file to make for a nice hole for each wire. The rear wires I attached to the factory trunk wiring and then followed the factor harness to the back seat. There I ran the wires in the center under the carpet into the rear of the console then forward up to the cubby to plug into the ALP ECU.

The GPS was mounted on the center top dash speaker grill then the wire run straight down behind the head unit to the cubby and agian into the ALP ECU.

The remote LED I ran from on top of the steering column then under the head unit and into the ECU.

I tapped into the 12V cigarette lighter plug under the glove box then straight into the cubby. I only used the positive and negative wires and used posi taps to make the connections instead of the included vampire clip wire taps.

The bluetooth adapter is plugged into the ECU then sits under the cupholder area under the console. The caontrol pad wire then runs from there and exits thehandbrake boot surround where the control pad sits and will be double sided tapped right in front of the handbrake handle's button. This gives easy and quick access but keeps it mostly out of sight. Even better when I'm in the car as I can block it from view with an arm or leg.

I didn't get the hifi set up but plan to use the Android app and control pad. I also didn't connect the USB extension cable as the USB port on the ECU is right there when the cubby cover is popped off. Quick and easy to do

If anyone has any suggestions,comments or questions feel free to let me know.

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ditto. Well done with the interior. Very professional.
Post automatically merged:

Awesome job documenting the details. Others looking to do similar installs are always looking for those kinds of details so it's really helpful.

Last edited:

Q ship

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks. Since I completed the install I wrapped the wood interior trim with carbon fiber matte finish to reduce the glare and I like CF better than wood finish. I'll have to get some pics. I also plan to have 2 pieces of black plastic to glue in place and sandwich the front TX sensor in the grill once I get it tested and confirm everything is adjusted and working properly.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radar1972