Nissan GT-R ALP Front and Rear 2 Rx + 1 Tx Placement

Spindrift

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I come to the RDF well of wisdom to drink the sage advice within. I am planning a 6 head ALP install on a GT-R and want to run my proposed set up by the community. Below are dimensioned shots of the layouts I am thinking (didn't feel like taking the car out of the garage to get the rear shot, hence the stock photo):

1599590438458.png

R_D1 =Ground to bottom ledge
R_D2 = Ground to top ledge
R_D3 = Rx center to center measurement
R_D4 = Rx center to outer taillight center
R_D5 = Tx center to outer taillight center (layout 1)
R_D6 = Tx center to outer taillight center (layout 2)

The trunk pop button lives in the center of the top ledge, hence the second layout for the Tx head. Also, here is a top down view of the rear to show the profile as I believe the extreme curvature could drive placement and off angle performance:

1599590793003.png

For the front, the placements look as follows:

1599590837467.png

F_D1 =Ground to bottom ledge
F_D2 = Ground to top ledge
F_D3 = Rx center to center measurement (Layout 1)
F_D4 = Rx center to center measurement (Layout 2)
F_D5 = Rx center to outer headlight center (Layout 2)
F_D6 = Rx center to outer headlight center (Layout 1)
F_D1 = Tx center to Rx center (layout 2)

Again here is a top down and side view to provide some context to the front end curvature and the protrusions around the area:
20200908_132021.jpg

1599591112502.png

As always, any and all advice is appreciated. I will be performing the installation myself and intend to document the process for a build thread when the time comes. Of course, the cleanest install in the world means nothing if not tested so once done, the car will be vetted with @thebravo and the rest of the folks in SoFlo!

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Spindrift

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and great car!

Be sure to check out this thread: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/73042/

Vortex,

Thank you for the kind words and vectoring me to that install, I thought my google-fu was good but not good enough apparently! Thank you as well for all the information and time you put into this community, you have definitely been a driver in my decision to dip into the CM world!
Post automatically merged:

Beat me to it.
Smason,

Thank you for the response as well!

LuckyXII

Drive it like you stole it!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sweet ride! Hoping to get myself a GTR one day!

Last edited:

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome. Oh man, my dream car! Do another RDF search, Jon at Radenso has a GT-R with a stealthy ALP setup.

Spindrift

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I love the DBA styling, but I'm on a cba Budget :(

In all honestly, they are pretty much the same underneath mechanically speaking. Even more so when you throw a tune on them! I wouldn't hesitate to grab one. the '09-mid '10 had some dodgey transmission seals, but the late '10 and up are good to go. The DBA will be slightly more refined, but the CBAs are great cars as well!

Sweet side! Hoping to get myself a GTR one day!

Thank you for the kind words! The older ones are coming down everyday, I wouldn't hesitate to grab one when you can!

Welcome. Oh man, my dream car! Do another RDF search, Jon at Radenso has a GT-R with a stealthy ALP setup.

Jon's ride was one of the inspirations for my build, however I'm not going to throw $11k into the system (per Vortex's video)! Always dig the DIY approach a bit more!

Last edited:

Spindrift

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Ha ha, ya suggested Jon’s just for placement ideas...

Copy all. I based the layouts on his car, I was not sure if having the rear Tx sensor that close to the Rx sensors would be an issue as I think he runs Rx only in the rear. I guess it would be interesting to see if Jon's front Tx has any issues being mounted below the 20" minimum distance.

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have not looked a Jon’s install for a while but recall he used perplex to hide some heads for a stealthy look...

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score

Jon has a VW Golf R, not a Nissan GT-R

Spindrift

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have not looked a Jon’s install for a while but recall he used perplex to hide some heads for a stealthy look...

I'd really like to incorporate perspex covers with adjustable 3D printed housings to the build. Those clean installs seems an area ripe for some DIY love...COVID makes people to crazy things sometimes!

Jon has a VW Golf R, not a Nissan GT-R

But does his Golf R have arrows? /s

Last edited:

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The minimum recommended distance Rx to tx is 7 inches I believe, though I think a few folks with mustangs have gone a little smart without issue. And we are glad to test you at the south florida testing group :)

Spindrift

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The minimum recommended distance Rx to tx is 7 inches I believe, though I think a few folks with mustangs have gone a little smart without issue. And we are glad to test you at the south florida testing group :)

Bravo,

Thank you for the SA, sounds like the rear set up will be GTG. Hopefully I can have something sorted for the winter meet up!

projectrob

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@Spindrift - can you please post pictures of where the various sensors ended up being installed? Any lessons learned? Looking to do the same thing on my GTR...

Spindrift

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Is the back end of the GTR too wide for 1Rx/1Tx?
With the Tx not having any Rx capability, I think there could be a blind spot if you rely on only one Rx sensor. This coming from someone wholly unqualified to give any real world advise on the capabilities of the system as my isn't even installed yet so bear that in mind.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcmillionare