Theia - New Feature Request

GrandAmster

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Love what Theia is promising!

With high confidence alerts, would like Theia to interface with my adaptive cruise or collision breaking safey systems and just automatically reduce my vehicles speed in a second please!
since I expect it to be fairly good at pinpointing threat location from signal strength, speed resume after the threat has passed would be awesome, but I can wait for an update on that one.

Thanks team!!

FoxStang

Sly fox, dumb bunny.
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am certain Radenso would not attempt a feature like that. Beyond the myriad of different collision avoidance systems across all the different manufacturers and the technical hurdles associated with developing the interface protocols from a technical standpoint (if even feasible given the safety restrictions that I would assume are programmed into those systems), and the resources that would take from Radenso’s developers, that would be an incredible amount of legal exposure.

Additionally, How could Theia safely account for environmental variables such as another vehicle following too close? Driver attention is required to interpret the information from a driver assistance device like a radar detector, and intelligently decide how to make use of that information while maintaining consideration of all other circumstances. What you are suggesting would basically require a fully autonomous vehicle powered by a far more sophisticated AI system to realize in a safe way, in which case a speeding ticket would be a moot concern since responsibility for the operation of the vehicle will have been shifted away from the human(s) inside.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
This has already been brought up. Not happening.

For a group of people who like driving our cars, we sure keep sounding like pro-autonomous enthusiasts.

A radar detector is a tool in your driving kit. It should alert you to your surroundings but never interfere.

Makemeasammich

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The OP seems like a troll and the post is most likely sarcasm.
Post automatically merged:

I can smell sarcasm anywhere...I practically invented it.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
I was flying home last night on my wonderful empty highways (147 overall average)

Some guy decided he wanted to keep up, but not only that, follow behind me roughly 15 feet behind me at ~165km/hr.

I switched lanes multiple times and he would just mirror me. Quite frustrating, but also quite dangerous. If I had to JTK @ 100kph I would have to seriously throw anchor. Hed probably end up in my backseat.

GrandAmster

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Love what Theia is promising!

With high confidence alerts, would like Theia to interface with my adaptive cruise or collision breaking safey systems and just automatically reduce my vehicles speed in a second please!
since I expect it to be fairly good at pinpointing threat location from signal strength, speed resume after the threat has passed would be awesome, but I can wait for an update on that one.

Thanks team!!
I was flying home last night on my wonderful empty highways (147 overall average)

Some guy decided he wanted to keep up, but not only that, follow behind me roughly 15 feet behind me at ~165km/hr.

I switched lanes multiple times and he would just mirror me. Quite frustrating, but also quite dangerous. If I had to JTK @ 100kph I would have to seriously throw anchor. Hed probably end up in my backseat.
No not sarcasm, although not really something I would seriously expect either. More of a daydream idea. Lawsuit? No different than any other emergency auto braking service already out there.

integration issues? Yes agreed that would be a tough nut to crack. Car manufacturers would probably have to support that integration, not Radenso. But if it becomes the defacto detector standard, who knows what the future may hold.

it would be a feature I’d look for on my 2023 or 2024 vehicle!

I admit I am pro automation but also want manual control. When driving through Saskatchewan I could easily go for nap and wake up when the roads get more interesting!

fishing66

Advanced User
Reaction score
My Theia Feature Request: The ability to auto-delete Theia Feature Request threads.

biolink

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The first time it misses and brakes for a CRV you'll be screaming at Radenso. You'll also create a new Theia Impact Theory when that happens. Remember the stories of Tesla drivers trusting the self drive features and slamming into people on the highway?

MikePA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Remember the stories of Tesla drivers trusting the self drive features and slamming into people on the highway?
I am not aware of any Tesla driver who actually followed all the self driving instructions who got into accidents. It was the Darwin Award Winners who slammed into people and objects while they were watching a movie.

biolink

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I am not aware of any Tesla driver who actually followed all the self driving instructions who got into accidents. It was the Darwin Award Winners who slammed into people and objects while they were watching a movie.
There are a few Darwin Award Winners with RDs too. My point is there is too much at risk to trust a little black box to to what companies like Uber and Waymo are doing.

And I never said any of that happened following rules. Isn't the point of an RD to break a rule?

I think we will sooner see car makers disable cruise above the PSL.

Last edited:

goblin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Wasn't this question asked almost word for word a while back ?
And a big, emphatic nope. Not a good idea.

MikePA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Wasn't this question asked almost word for word a while back ?
There hasn't been a new question about Theia for months. These forums are such a wealth of information. It is unfortunate some people do not read them before asking a question. I know, I know. I might as well be asking for the sun rise in the west.

Why anyone would want Radenso, or any other RD manufacturer, to spend dollars figuring out how to interact with other vehicle control systems is hard to comprehend, not to mention the liability involved.

Last edited:

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Why anyone would want Radenso, or any other RD manufacturer, to spend dollars figuring out how to interact with other vehicle control systems is hard to comprehend, not to mention the liability involved.
It would be neat to see it integrated into the digital displays in gauche clusters. I recall someone doing that for Mercedes vehicles. I imagine if that version of the idea is worth doing, it would have to be for the high dollar remote version one day first. Maybe eventually that kind of thing would trickle down...

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score

That's seriously stupid and dangerous. I'd either 1) slow way down and force him to pass me or 2) speed way up and leave him behind. Would pick between these based on how much of a hurry I was in, road conditions, the current speed and what car I was driving.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
That's seriously stupid and dangerous. I'd either 1) slow way down and force him to pass me or 2) speed way up and leave him behind. Would pick between these based on how much of a hurry I was in, road conditions, the current speed and what car I was driving.
That's exactly what went through my mind. What kind of idiot tailgates at those speeds.

billvp

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's what I do, I slow down and get a good look to make sure it's not a cop - then blast a quick run up to 150mph+ and they are left in the dust.

It doesn't occur too often, but I think it's some idiot who kind of wants to race / compare car speeds but isn't brave enough to get right next to you.

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
I have another feature request for Theia. Can it have the ability to interfere with the radar cruise control in the car behind you and force their car to panic brake on the highway? Good tailgater solution. Plus I don't see any potential liability issues with this feature.

That's what I do, I slow down and get a good look to make sure it's not a cop - then blast a quick run up to 150mph+ and they are left in the dust.
Not all of us have cars that can do 150 mph but if you do then that's certainly a good example of 2).

jumperthumper

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Back. In the Wack. E of Vancouver. W of rest
ability to interfere with the radar cruise control in the car behind you and force their car to panic brake on the highway? Good tailgater solution. Plus I don't see any potential liability issues with this feature.

Better have another look

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fc1kitchen