What mode do you use on your gen 2?

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I run A mode and only have JBV1 running for frequency voice and meter and heat maps. I don't use any type of muting or lockouts and I've driven with it like this since March and love it! We've been on several road trips up and down the east coast through some big cities and it worked great. I've played around with l and L, but I always end up going back to A mode.

KY2019GTMUSTANG

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Big L with JBV1 and switching to little L @80mph. From reading the replies, I may need to lower that little L threshold quite a bit.

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
(A) - has proven to be very good with very minimal false alerts - see now reason to run any higher filtering where I live/drive.

Saleen556

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Where does one go in V1 driver to change modes at a certain speed?

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The jury is still out for me. I started using JBV1 to automatically switch to l over 30 and L under 30. Another great bit of programming is that if you do this and you reach up and manually enter L when you're above 30 the G2 maintains that. My problem is that when I'm actually in Fun City (Houston) where I haven't seen K band used in years I prefer L and G2 is very quiet. In the small surrounding towns that seem hungry for politically free revenue I do encounter K band. When G2 first arrived I ran L all the time since MV sent it that way, said it was his preference, and I mostly ran G1 that way. Then I saw some unsettling testing results here, thank you very much. The problem is that in l I'm getting plenty of visual alerts and it's the human condition that I sorta start to ignore them yet I recognize the danger in that. L mode was still very adept at knocking off real police radar in those venues using it. Maybe that's because no one is using low powered K that I know of down there.

Now on a road trip I think it'll be A or little l.

VideosFromNH

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I run 'A' mode with JBV1 doing the learning/lockouts. Stationary X and K are eventually muted.
I also like the occasional chirp since it confirms that detector is up and running.

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Where does one go in V1 driver to change modes at a certain speed?

V1 Driver doesn't provide for changing modes at various speeds. It does have "Savvy" built in that you can use to mute all alerts when you are traveling below the speed you choose to set it at; I set it at 30 mph.

Saleen556

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
V1 Driver doesn't provide for changing modes at various speeds. It does have "Savvy" built in that you can use to mute all alerts when you are traveling below the speed you choose to set it at; I set it at 30 mph.
Okay. Thank i was aware of this. Thought someone mentioned you could switch modes as well.

camkuhns

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Currently I use A mode but that may change as me and the wife have more long distance trips planned.

hifibrucep

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I use JBV1 and have it on the Advanced Logic mode under 35MPH and then automatically switch to Logic "little l" mode above 35MPH. If I am driving in rural areas or on the highway I change to A mode and keep K verifier on all the time. This works great for me and the V1G2 stays pretty quiet.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
I use JBV1 and have it on the Advanced Logic mode under 35MPH and then automatically switch to Logic "little l" mode above 35MPH. If I am driving in rural areas or on the highway I change to A mode and keep K verifier on all the time. This works great for me and the V1G2 stays pretty quiet.

What are you trying to accomplish? Keeping it has quiet as possible or being safe yet quiet when possible? So depending on what one is after would determine the Mode. Personally, I don't see any reason to run little L IE either run big L or A. And under 35 MHP why would one want alerted to anything and everything because again, one is under 35 MPH why would you even need to know unless one is doing 35MPH in a 5 MPH school zone.

The reason I ask is I couldn't run it that way. I run Big L under 50 (IE I am most likely in a town/city or semi-residential area) and A mode for anything over 50 MPH. Of course I stay well over all the time (except in towns) so I need all the warning I can get. I will brake for BSM versus risk a ticket (because if I didn't, I would have lost my driving privileges by now).

How to set Analyzer Modes:
With power on in the absence of an alert, press-and-hold the Control Button repeatedly to step through the three available Analyzer Modes.
A - In All-Bogeys mode , all bogeys will be reported at the Initial Volume as soon as they are detected. Use your judgment to decide whether or not they are threats.
l - In Logic mode , X- and K-band bogeys assessed to be too weak to be threats will be reported at the Muted Volume. If and when they become threats, the audio warning will increase to the Initial Volume.
L - In Advanced Logic mode , X- and K-band bogeys the Analyzer determines are not threatening will not be reported at all. Threats will be reported at Initial Volume. This mode is particularly useful in metro areas. One exception: to be failsafe, the Analyzer will always pass extremely strong alerts along to you for your judgment.
NOTE: In Logic mode and Advanced Logic mode , you are deferring to an algorithm that will assess the threat level and report accordingly.

WildOne

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I use A mode all the time. After all the years, I have a pretty good filter. I'd rather hear everything and filter out what I don't care about than trust the unit to decide for me. Little "l" would be my next choice if it really bothered me, but under no circumstance would I ever run full L!

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The primary difference between A and small L is the volume of some alerts. (Full volume vs a set lower volume for low-priority stuff.)

I run my Gen2 in nearly factory mode with Laser off and usually with X-band off. (Main volume at 6 and mute volume at 4) I let JBV1 manage modes between Advanced Logic below PSL and Logic above PSL.
I never use All Bogies mode. My license isn't anywhere near in jeopardy at 50-60K a year.

Watch, I'll get some sort of pacing ticket today on the 7 hour trip I'm leaving for in a minute... :p

Porsche997

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Depends where I drive. In PA where they use low power K guns I keep it in A, everywhere else where K is used I use big L
Low power K? that would concern me. I've discovered it takes Gen 2 much longer to alarm on instant-on K band than my Gen 1. If they're quick to take the radar gun back to stand-by, there will be no alarm at all, from my testing. It takes almost 3 seconds to get an alert, even in A mode.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If your only threat is K cams, you can't run any less than A. The alerts are very weak even it that.

Vested Llama

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Low power K? that would concern me. I've discovered it takes Gen 2 much longer to alarm on instant-on K band than my Gen 1. If they're quick to take the radar gun back to stand-by, there will be no alarm at all, from my testing. It takes almost 3 seconds to get an alert, even in A mode.

Something is wrong with your detector then. :(

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itzik