Thinking of running a V1G2 12 thousand miles comparison vrs R7.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
With terrain being the great equalizer they should run pretty close to each other in your area. In the flatlands or real open areas out west I would expect quite a bit of separation.
I agree. I think I'll break out my Genesis 2 later today and set up a test and hit them with some off axis 35.5 and see what happens. The action has really dried up here lately and the fact that I really want to be hit with some shots guarantees that it won't happen for at least a month!

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree. I think I'll break out my Genesis 2 later today and set up a test and hit them with some off axis 35.5 and see what happens. The action has really dried up here lately and the fact that I really want to be hit with some shots guarantees that it won't happen for at least a month!
I was thinking of ideas for testing a couple days ago. With the V1 Gen 2 as good as it is off axis I was thinking setting up an overhill test with a V1 Gen 2 mounted vertically would be interesting.

MASI

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I, for one, would love to hear about your side by side compairison and expirences.

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I, for one, would love to hear about your side by side compairison and expirences.
Check out post number 40 this thread where I shared the side by side comparison. Enjoy

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I ran my Redline-O and V1G2 against my Genesis 2 35.5 gun earlier today and they did pretty much what I thought. First of all, there was no difference in the results running them together and apart, which I already figured. The V1G2 won everytime, which was also no surprise. They are pretty damn close on "normal" alerts, but on forward facing and extreme off axis the V1G2 is incredible winning by as much as 8 seconds against what I still consider one of the best detectors of all time! I ran them both together and apart at least 20 runs each. The V1G2 is a machine alerting at exactly the same spots on my course which is actually about 3 courses in one. First part is leaving even with the test car and driving away from it, testing the detectors from behind. Of course you know how that turned out! The V1G2 killed the Redline-O, which it should with this insane rear antenna! Then I turned around and headed back towards my gun which was positioned off axis and around a fairly sharp curve. The V1G2 took this by around 2 seconds everytime. Then I drove straight passed my test car to see the forward facing from the rear, which was also no surprise, the V1G2's rear antenna again. Coming back from the other direction towards the back of the car was a heads up fight pitting the Redline-O's front antenna against the V1G2's against forward facing 35.5. The V1G2 won this as well by 2 or more seconds everytime. Just for the hell of it, I turned on a side street that had crazy off axis and the V1G2 won that by 15 seconds! BTW, this Redline-O has always either won or tied every test that @VariableWave and I have run it on! It also used to monkey stomp my V1G1 every day for years. This V1G2 is simply the best damn detector I've ever seen! The V1G2 also is still ghosting for no reason, so it lost that one but it does seem to be better with this new firmware, at least against C/O 35.5.

Last edited:

samq45

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Same here with the V1G2 after latest update....When run with the R360C every 10 miles or so the rear horn would alert to the R360C....Did not matter the distance....Was your alert coming from rear horn as well?
Yes, sometimes the alerts are every 3 minutes.

I could run them together before the update and had very little falsing between them but some of the alerts from the R360c were much less than normal. The V1 did not seem to be affected as much as the R360c is.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I also see 1-2 rear Ka falses on the V1 being triggered by the RL360c if you try and run them together. It happens reliably when I first start the car and then periodically while I drive. A little surprising consider the RL360c is otherwise RDD immune, but it looks like even stealth doesn't prevent interference within the cabin.

The R7 had less of an issue, but at times with the Fixed Ka Speed signs I could see it was affected by a little bit - and range was reduced slightly every once in a while on those signs.

Also running these together made the BSM alerts a little worse.
It's interesting that you say that about the R7 BSM filtering getting hampered when run next to a V1. I tried doing RL360c and R7 and the BSM filtering on the R7 was pretty awful. The RL and V1 BSM filtering is better, but it was a pretty stark difference and so I've gone back to running one detector at a time and relying on lots of seat time to try and gauge BSM filtering differences.

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I ran my Redline-O and V1G2 against my Genesis 2 35.5 gun earlier today and they did pretty much what I thought. First of all, there was no difference in the results running them together and apart, which I already figured. The V1G2 won everytime, which was also no surprise. They are pretty damn close on "normal" alerts, but on forward facing and extreme off axis the V1G2 is incredible winning by as much as 8 seconds against what I still consider one of the best detectors of all time! I ran them both together and apart at least 20 runs each. The V1G2 is a machine alerting at exactly the same spots on my course which is actually about 3 courses in one. First part is leaving even with the test car and driving away from it, testing the detectors from behind. Of course you know how that turned out! The V1G2 killed the Redline-O, which it should with this insane rear antenna! Then I turned around and headed back towards my gun which was positioned off axis and around a fairly sharp curve. The V1G2 took this by around 2 seconds everytime. Then I drove straight passed my test car to see the forward facing from the rear, which was also no surprise, the V1G2's rear antenna again. Coming back from the other direction towards the back of the car was a heads up fight pitting the Redline-O's front antenna against the V1G2's against forward facing 35.5. The V1G2 won this as well by 2 or more seconds everytime. Just for the hell of it, I turned on a side street that had crazy off axis and the V1G2 won that by 15 seconds! BTW, this Redline-O has always either won or tied every test that @VariableWave and I have run it on! It also used to monkey stomp my V1G1 every day for years. This V1G2 is simply the best damn detector I've ever seen! The V1G2 also is still ghosting for no reason, so it lost that one but it does seem to be better with this new firmware, at least against C/O 35.5.
The off axis is awesome on the V1G2. We need to compare how it performs mounted vertically vs horizontal. I suspect it is insane on overhill performance mounted Vertically.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow! Catching that laser scatter that far back was pretty crazy. I wonder how much it helps to be up high as well as being a long distance away with a lot of beam divergence? That was probably only the third encounter I've ever seen on video that could have resulted in an actual scatter save. Color me impressed!

I received my G2 back from VR Saturday for the faceplate repair and they had returned it to factory settings which meant that they turned laser detection back on. I had it off due to all the false alerts I was getting. Saturday evening I met up with DarkPenguin and we tested my new ALP install. That's when I found out that laser detection was on.....LOL Anyway, it always eventually alerted and some point after my ALPs but sometimes it was quite a while after. It even alerted from the rear a few times which was pretty cool. Never have had that happen with any other detectors while testing.

My car is a lot smaller and lower of course and we were much closer than your encounter. Your encounter seems pretty ideal in the vein of a lidar scatter save and even though I haven't had anything near as confidence-inspiring I'm going to adjust my skepticism meter down a few notches as far as the V1's ability to plausibly save someone from lidar as long as they weren't the target.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow! Catching that laser scatter that far back was pretty crazy. I wonder how much it helps to be up high as well as being a long distance away with a lot of beam divergence? That was probably only the third encounter I've ever seen on video that could have resulted in an actual scatter save. Color me impressed!

I received my G2 back from VR Saturday for the faceplate repair and they had returned it to factory settings which meant that they turned laser detection back on. I had it off due to all the false alerts I was getting. Saturday evening I met up with DarkPenguin and we tested my new ALP install. That's when I found out that laser detection was on.....LOL Anyway, it always eventually alerted and some point after my ALPs but sometimes it was quite a while after. It even alerted from the rear a few times which was pretty cool. Never have had that happen with any other detectors while testing.

My car is a lot smaller and lower of course and we were much closer than your encounter. Your encounter seems pretty ideal in the vein of a lidar scatter save and even though I haven't had anything near as confidence-inspiring I'm going to adjust my skepticism meter down a few notches as far as the V1's ability to plausibly save someone from lidar as long as they weren't the target.
While I'd never count on my V1G2 for a laser save, it alerts right along with my TMG's from the front and rear during our many laser tests. It even alerts first on some of them! I'm not surprised by @Freebird 's laser alerts after seeing how mine does against it.

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got shot this morning and LEO left his 35.5 C/O on so I had plenty of warning. Gotta love when they do that. Notice the two 35.471's right before the laser shot. Press view attachment 159416.

View attachment 159416

Screenshot_20200914-122413.png

Last edited:

F15

No radar/lidar tickets, 25+ years
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Throw you guys a bone from Arkansawwww.

So how often have you seen that particular technique used in that general area?
I ask as a ‘totally uninterested bystander’ who happens to be driving through that area tomorrow morning. Fortunately he was using C/O and there was plenty of advance warning.
I do wonder about Waze because the reports I saw from MEM to NLR were not accurate or at least I had to mark ‘not there’ as the trooper had relocated.

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
So how often have you seen that particular technique used in that general area?
I ask as a ‘totally uninterested bystander’ who happens to be driving through that area tomorrow morning. Fortunately he was using C/O and there was plenty of advance warning.
I do wonder about Waze because the reports I saw from MEM to NLR were not accurate or at least I had to mark ‘not there’ as the trooper had relocated.
Honestly I don't know because I don't get through that area often enough. We do have some members of the area, maybe they can respond.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fc1kitchen