Thinking of running a V1G2 12 thousand miles comparison vrs R7.

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
We might not learn anything that we don't already know from this comparison. We have already learned a lot about how they perform against each other on courses in Texas and Washington.

By running a long comparison, I was going to see if the V1 consistently out performs the R7 in ALL Terrain.

For those that have been around on the old forum, you might recall a similar 12 thousand mile comparison between the Original V1 3.864 and the M3 STI Driver I did.

This is how we discovered the Superior performance of the M3 vrs the Original V1 in hilly terrain.

Bloovy One

135,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Quick note:
Segmenting/Custom Frequencies on a Gen2 does not slow it down...

To be fair, I'd suggest you match the hardcoded segment values of the R7 instead.

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Quick note:
Segmenting/Custom Frequencies on a Gen2 does not slow it down...

To be fair, I'd suggest you match the hardcoded segment values of the R7 instead.
How do most users run the R7 and Gen2? I think we should run each how our members run theirs so my results are more relevant.

Probably not going to make any difference in results and we are probably splitting hairs anyway lol

Last edited:

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I run my R7 segmented with 2,4,5,6,8 and run my V1G2 without any segmentation. I’m not sure I would see any issues with false Ka but I think the R7 benefits from segmentation where the G2 does not.

I would not worry about K unless you want to see which one makes more noise. I think the R7 will win that one. Not that its bad, just that the G2 has made improvements that Uniden has not responded to yet. I see they have a firmware update on the way that might make it a closer race.

I think the test would be interesting. Go for it.

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I run my R7 segmented with 2,4,5,6,8 and run my V1G2 without any segmentation. I’m not sure I would see any issues with false Ka but I think the R7 benefits from segmentation where the G2 does not.

I would not worry about K unless you want to see which one makes more noise. I think the R7 will win that one. Not that its bad, just that the G2 has made improvements that Uniden has not responded to yet. I see they have a firmware update on the way that might make it a closer race.

I think the test would be interesting. Go for it.
I was thinking about this last night and running K at this point will be a waste of time since a new firmware for the R7 is coming out soon with hopefully better BSM falsing resistance etc.
I'm not sure my sanity could take it running both of them in highway and a mode anyway.

I've already run them that way about a thousand miles and I can tell you every single Honda BSM 24.160 was alerted to by both.

Bloovy One

135,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
How do most users run the R7 and Gen2? I think we should run each how our members run theirs so my results are more relevant.
There are so many variations of what members run depending on where they run it.

If the roles were reversed;
Gen2 running only 2, 5, 8 and R7 running full Ka; it wouldn't be using the "scientific method" either.

Run them with the exact same segments or both running full Ka to eliminate that variable.
The R7 only scans 2,300 MHz of Ka while the Gen2 scans 2,600 MHz of Ka FWIW.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes sir. Pretty good hiding spot by that bear too. I graded that one V1 win by half a second.
My stopwatch says more like a third of a second....lol

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
My stopwatch says more like a third of a second....lol
I'll take your word on it. Very close on this one. Already seeing a clear difference in performance between the two, but they are very closely matched. I will give a break down later of what I have observed.

samq45

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Does your V1G2 alert to your R7?

My V1 did not alert to the R7 or R360C until the latest firmware upgrade for the V1. After that I cannot run them together in the cabin as the V1 will alert every minute or so to the R360c and maybe about every 10 - 15 minutes to the R7 - No matter where I place them. Not complaining however, I get why this happens.

I am also running an Stir + with the ALP (occasionally a netradar instead), so that might have a Lot to do with what I am seeing also with three LO signals.

The V1G2 with Just the Stir Plus works fine, but the Plus gets destroyed in every encounter except I/O. I am always running the V1 in A mode and when I run it in

The interference I have seen between the V1 and R360C is as bad as any 2 detectors I have used together and I have used a lot of combinations. The V1 just alerts to the R360C constantly, but the R360C alerts would be diminished - occasionally by 40-60 percent - to the extent that the plus alerted first. I had one encounter where the Plus and G2 were alerting to a LEO about 1/2 a mile away and the R360c never alerted as I turned. Almost certainly interference, I could see the LEO.

The R7 had less of an issue, but at times with the Fixed Ka Speed signs I could see it was affected by a little bit - and range was reduced slightly every once in a while on those signs.

Also running these together made the BSM alerts a little worse.

Good Luck with your experience and testing, you do learn a lot of things by running them together and I have the benefit of going by these 6 stalker speed signs on the average of 4x a week.

My conclusion was that the V1G2 was the best for me and my wife took the R360c and we let the R3 and R7s stay as backups. Not only does the V1 have the best range (off axis and behind especially) but its the most consistent - when the weather, leaves and humidity are similar, it alerts in pretty much the exact same spot every time. My wife even knows what tree she needs to press the mute button a split sec before it alerts.

I run my V1G2 in A mode with no custom sweeps - R7 and R360c are K on, K Block on and Ka with 2,4,5,6,7,8

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Does your V1G2 alert to your R7?

My V1 did not alert to the R7 or R360C until the latest firmware upgrade for the V1. After that I cannot run them together in the cabin as the V1 will alert every minute or so to the R360c and maybe about every 10 - 15 minutes to the R7 - No matter where I place them. Not complaining however, I get why this happens.

I am also running an Stir + with the ALP (occasionally a netradar instead), so that might have a Lot to do with what I am seeing also with three LO signals.

The V1G2 with Just the Stir Plus works fine, but the Plus gets destroyed in every encounter except I/O. I am always running the V1 in A mode and when I run it in

The interference I have seen between the V1 and R360C is as bad as any 2 detectors I have used together and I have used a lot of combinations. The V1 just alerts to the R360C constantly, but the R360C alerts would be diminished - occasionally by 40-60 percent - to the extent that the plus alerted first. I had one encounter where the Plus and G2 were alerting to a LEO about 1/2 a mile away and the R360c never alerted as I turned. Almost certainly interference, I could see the LEO.

The R7 had less of an issue, but at times with the Fixed Ka Speed signs I could see it was affected by a little bit - and range was reduced slightly every once in a while on those signs.

Also running these together made the BSM alerts a little worse.

Good Luck with your experience and testing, you do learn a lot of things by running them together and I have the benefit of going by these 6 stalker speed signs on the average of 4x a week.

My conclusion was that the V1G2 was the best for me and my wife took the R360c and we let the R3 and R7s stay as backups. Not only does the V1 have the best range (off axis and behind especially) but its the most consistent - when the weather, leaves and humidity are similar, it alerts in pretty much the exact same spot every time. My wife even knows what tree she needs to press the mute button a split sec before it alerts.

I run my V1G2 in A mode with no custom sweeps - R7 and R360c are K on, K Block on and Ka with 2,4,5,6,7,8
I ran my V1G2 with one of my ghetto arrows setups for a couple of months next to my R1 spaced not even 2 feet apart and never had even a hint of interference, not that I noticed anyway, but I haven't tried them together since getting it back from V1 after being repaired for the no start issue. They of course sent it back with the new firmware. Looks like I'll have to try them again and see what happens! The V1G2 was beating my R1 by around a second on most encounters and just nipping my Redline-O which was in the back glass on most rear alerts. On off axis alerts however, the V1G2 spanked them both especially against 35.5!

samq45

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I ran my V1G2 with one of my ghetto arrows setups for a couple of months next to my R1 spaced not even 2 feet apart and never had even a hint of interference, not that I noticed anyway, but I haven't tried them together since getting it back from V1 after being repaired for the no start issue. They of course sent it back with the new firmware. Looks like I'll have to try them again and see what happens! The V1G2 was beating my R1 by around a second on most encounters and just nipping my Redline-O which was in the back glass on most rear alerts. On off axis alerts however, the V1G2 spanked them both especially against 35.5!
The good news is that they are all pretty good, its hard to get a dud with the top tier offerings - unlike a few years ago with the Ex....

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
The good news is that they are all pretty good, its hard to get a dud with the top tier offerings - unlike a few years ago with the Ex....
You're right! There are still some things I miss about my R1's, the I/O ramp and the alert tone! I run number 9 for my Ka alert tone on all of my R1's. The off axis and over hill alerts of the V1G2 are just incredible along with the range! If V1 ever fixes the I/O, kill zone ramp it will really be amazing!

Last edited:

samq45

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Interference is very hard to detect, but when it is major - you know something is "off". I started running 2 detectors together regularly back in 2008 when the O was released. Very rarely even the O and the Sti/Magnum/Redline would have some interference and I could get the M3 dash mounts to alert to the plus, and to each other (again very rare)

The best way that I have seen and am 90% confident its interference is it repeated runs against those fixed 34.7 speed signs. It is somewhat of a controlled environment and even then it was sometimes hard to note interference. I can also see interference between the EX and R7, through delayed alerts on both. I have not run the R360c and R7 together - my wife wants one of those for the arrows and she does not prefer the V1G2 (no speed limit, softer tones or changing colors). After my V1G2 started alerting to my R360C, I figured the V1G2 with the Plus was plenty for layered protection.

I know we are not supposed to be running more than one, but its part of the fun to do these things.

With that said, nothing is official when you are running multiple detectors, its just for fun and anyone reading this thread should instead refer to the testing with each detector run by its lonesome.

Last edited:

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
@samq45 you clearly understand and know interference when you see it. Years of running units together and you can tell when something isn't right. Great explanation of what you experienced. I experienced interference between these two also. I was able to change mounting location around and eliminate the obvious, but I think they are always interfering some when run together.

milkman

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've run these a few days now and here's my observations. I only scored encounters with nothing blocking either detector. If I had any encounters when following another truck, it got tossed out. First the easy.

Laser. 13 laser alerts from the V1, all Georgia scatter and direct hits. Uniden R7 never alerted.

ka mostly 34.7. I had 93 encounters. I graded based on terrain and seconds between alerts. My V1 is more sensitive on 34.7 than my R7. Several times I would be at a red light with no obstructions and the V1 would begin alerting one bar 34.7 and my R7 silent. Shortly after pulling away from the light, R7 would join in alerting.

Flat straight road, constant on. V1 alerts first 90% of the time, but only by a small amount. .5 second to 1.5 seconds. The R7 did alert first a few times but never more than 1 second before V1 began alerting. One encounter on 34.7 was interesting. The V1 alerted first, then J out and the R7 took over the rest of the encounter while the V1 remained silent and the R7 ramped up as the LEO passed by.

Rolling selective I/O. 99% of the encounters both alert in stereo.
The other 1% the R7 missed the shot. This could be deadly if the LEO is very selective.

Off axis, V1 alerts first 95% of the time. Normally by 1-2 seconds, but I had a few encounters with the V1 alerting 4-5 seconds before the R7. R7 did alert first a couple times but not more than 1 second before V1 began alerting.

Over hill was very interesting. V1 consistently beats R7 by 1 to 2 seconds in most encounters. This is with each unit mounted exactly same height.

Move V1 up a foot higher than R7 or move R7 up a foot higher than V1 and it amounts to 2 to 5 second advantage to the highest unit. Every over hill encounter when one unit was mounted higher than the other, the higher unit alerted first.

Ka falsing, I didn't keep score because it was clear. Uniden never falsed on Ka, V1 did several times a day mainly on low 34 and some 33.8.

K band comparison was postponed until new R7 firmware update.

Conclusion. My V1G2 performs slightly better on 34.7 than my R7. The Laser performance of the V1G2 is mind blowing for an RD. Combined with JBV1 and it's a killer set up. I prefer my V1G2 to my R7. Does that mean I won't use my R7. Of course not. All of my detectors get a few thousand miles a month. Just depends on what I feel like running on any given day!

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnnyWishbone