NY Operation Hardhat

samq45

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
NY Troopers have been hiding out in Construction Zones Dressed as Construction Workers. I saw one the other day on I-87 with his uniform on and a hardhat with a safety vest.

In the past these campaigns were limited, but the governor's office has authorized several construction zones for them to enforce with this method until the end of the year.

Not sure why Troopers have to hide, makes them quite a bit less respectable when they have to lurk around like a burglar trying to get someone going 5 over the limit.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/go...ued-state-police-2020-under-operation-hardhat

Watch out for them in Construction Zones, where you really should not be speeding anyhow.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

samq45

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That was last years campaign that was supposed to be ended. Originally was to be limited to only a few construction zones that were considered "High Risk" - whatever that means. The public safety commissioner said this would not be a regular thing in 2019 - but now it has become a way to raise more revenue, which is badly needed.

The construction companies have complained about it - they feel it would be more effective for people to actually slow down if they saw a trooper car at the beginning of the construction zone - instead of hiding.

Now the operation is full on to raise revenue. Double Fines in Construction Zones.

We will see more tactics like this on a regular basis - the state is in dire financial difficulty and it continues to get worse. The estimate I saw this morning was over 50K State, City, Town, County and School Employees will need to be let go and there still will be major deficits to deal with.

Last edited:

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
This is just as good as the psa speeding billboards in NY showing a trooper with an LTI marksman...

samq45

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they have to take an OSHA 10 or 30 to get on the equipment?

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they have to take an OSHA 10 or 30 to get on the equipment?
If reported, The picture alone can be enough to get them in trouble...

samq45

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
If reported, The picture alone can be enough to get them in trouble...
I was sort of joking, but I know the rules are very strict. In order for me to even visit some of the Job sites I had to take a few hours of OSHA courses and for one had to be certified in CPR - and I am there for a few hours at most..

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
They could park a squad car at the entrance with an HOV lane mannequin.

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
NY Troopers have been hiding out in Construction Zones Dressed as Construction Workers. I saw one the other day on I-87 with his uniform on and a hardhat with a safety vest.

In the past these campaigns were limited, but the governor's office has authorized several construction zones for them to enforce with this method until the end of the year.

Not sure why Troopers have to hide, makes them quite a bit less respectable when they have to lurk around like a burglar trying to get someone going 5 over the limit.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/go...ued-state-police-2020-under-operation-hardhat

Watch out for them in Construction Zones, where you really should not be speeding anyhow.
NY State is broke and they will do anything to get your $$$. They ran empty trains & buses for weeks instead of cutting back service now their in the red for millions. Keep your detectors on and an eye in your rear view mirror.

jboe

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
NY State is broke and they will do anything to get your $$$. They ran empty trains & buses for weeks instead of cutting back service now their in the red for millions. Keep your detectors on and an eye in your rear view mirror.
The MTA *still* has MANNED token booths OVERNIGHT, from 1AM - 5AM when there is NO train service.

Literally paid to sleep.

ONLY NYC could have this level of mismanagement.

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The MTA *still* has MANNED token booths OVERNIGHT, from 1AM - 5AM when there is NO train service.

Literally paid to sleep.

ONLY NYC could have this level of mismanagement.
Yes and they want everyone to pay for their miss management. They want to raise the speed cam fine from $50 to 75 or 100$$. Keep your detectors on and an eye in your rear view mirror.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabby