I can pack one cord in the V1 case ....

danpass

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

.... which one should I use? The coiled or the telephone cable?

I grabbed my case last weekend and jumped into a non-RD equipped car.

V1 case
V1 gen 1
V1 visor mount
V1 coiled cord
V1 dual port power adapter

(My suction cup is BlendMounted in my car)

Setup in the vehicle was smooth. This was actually my first time, EVER, using the visor mount lol.

The coiled cord is where it got .... awkward.

I ended up stretching the cord across the top of the visor to the side window and down to power.

But having it hang around .... yeah, awkward.

So I got to thinking about my permanent mount setup where I use the long telephone cable in which I spent a bit of time and pulling trim.

I won’t be going that far in a rental car, for example, but it will mean more setup time than with the coiled cord, in running the telephone cable; a tuck here, a pinch there, but is it worth it?

As you can tell I haven’t tried that out yet lol. I’m curious about those of you who use the telephone cable as a temporary, travel, solution.

-

alee

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just remember the middle two pins are reversed in the telephone wire. A straight RJ-11 will not work. Otherwise, works fine. I used that for hardwiring.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
To add info: A real "bell-standard" telephone cord is what is needed. In these, the colors reverse from one end to another. All phone cords used to be like these. Cheap knockoff cords aren't always wired properly.

I would always go with a flat cord. Even if it's hanging down, it's less noticeable than a coiled cord. Flat cords can also be wedged temporarily in crevices where coiled cords won't fit.

Delta9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
For those that are visual ... here is a photo of the stock V1 cable with the "colors reversed" as mentioned by @Bloovy One

This is what whatever phone cord you buy should look like for it to work proeprly.

Attachments

• IMG_6824.jpg
    IMG_6824.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 39

Kimberdan

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
For those that are visual ... here is a photo of the stock V1 cable with the "colors reversed" as mentioned by @Bloovy One

This is what whatever phone cord you buy should look like for it to work proeprly.

I have to argue, I have purchased (just phone cord) from Target, Home Depot and Lowe’s and none of them worked..
So when I hear member say ( a cord is a
Cord) it’s not.. for some reason the only cords that ever worked for me where the ones from V1 and the open ended roll of line..
Now looking at the colors? They are actually reversed on the other end.. idk why or how lol but it is..
My thing is why or what is with with cords that are different that would make them useless...
1 other thing from Valentine Research that was said to me is that you DONT want to go over the factory length but if you have to then not to go over 10’.. I learned this the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks

for all the fish
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've have purchased 4 wire cables from local hardware stores and walmart. As soon as I get in the car, I test it. I have returned cords that did not work, but then again, I have also bought quite a few that had no issues too. Once I had a reliable cord that worked with ALL OF MY V1 accessories attached (dont go too long on TOTAL cord length between all accessories), I would then trim it and create a custom length to fit my need for routing in the car. First time it affected me when I tried adding the V1RA. Long cord caused issues! I thought it was the RA until I tried simple short cords.

AND YES, I had a setup that worked great, but couldnt push configs to the V1! I thought I bricked my V1. Once I trimmed the cords to adequate lengths, I found that I was able to power on reliably and load updates. V1, V1CD, V1RA, V1LE and standalone Mute.

Last edited:

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have worked with telephone wiring professionally for 25+ years.

The bell-standard 4 conductor cables (where the polarity reverses) work every time and can easily be 20-25 feet with a quality cable.

So many of the big box stores are selling 2-conductor, non-reversing, small guage cables.

biolink

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This thread had me rethinking my chord choice. Like @Bloovy One I've always used the std 4 wire chords and they always work. I also always use flat for easy tucking.

Delta9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My thing is why or what is with with cords that are different that would make them useless...

Much like the RJ45 ports (ethernet) in newer computers, when computers still came with them, the industry has started to put smart switching into the ethernet port / computer to make the cable work whether or not it is the right cable. For instance, you used to have to use a special cross over cable to go directly computer to computer via an ethernet cable. Using a cross-over cable allowed for this connection directly computer to computer without a switch/hub in between them.

I suspect, without any actual proof of this, that the phones these days are equipped in the same way so that the handset cable is interchangeable with the phone cable. Which likely explains why the V1 has issue with the wrong cable type. It's easy enough to take a look at the cable colors and make sure they are a mirror of each other before you purchase them (or soon after buying).

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
When the polarity was backwards on a phone back in the 70's (rotary dial) the bell would ring a little while dialing.
All phones will still work with the polarity reversed.

Whenever we did a cable run for a phone, we observed the polarity rules anyway because we didn't know what might come up later.

Following the official standard is the way to go. Valentine follows the standard too.

danpass

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have another trip coming up. I’ll try out the extra V1 flat cable that I have.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmaverik