Question around first batch of Theia

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@CobawLT2010 Just how many settings and options must you have enabled to get a semi-quiet ride, because “Muted” isn’t really a quiet ride if you’re still getting a visual alert to something that’s not police radar? And even with all that turned On and filtered out, you’re still presented with falses. Theia won’t be filtering shit... it simply won’t tell you all the non-police crap is out there because guess what? You don’t need to know it’s out there. You won’t have to “evaluate” your approach to a car or passing a car or make those situational decisions yourself as you get a possible BSM false. Your brake pads will thank you. Lol
Hey to each their own... I've been dealing with falses since beginning my RD journey... Honestly, detectors have always falsed and Ive adapted to learn what is real vs not. I have always been in the camp of information is knowledge... So I'd rather see the screen light up and show me even if it isn't a threat... I know I'm going to be the weird person in the camp that turns on the feature to show BSM's and doors... Hopefully there is a mute option for that... I will also be the weird one to turn on unverified mode if Theia can't determine a signal...

I have quite a bit of settings to dull Kband falses... As I stated 30mph quiet ride is one of those... I have the k band filter on... I don't believe I have the block feature on... TSF is on... Set to 100%. But then again you don't get that on the 950 at all and I find it to be liveable. Trust me falses were worse with the V1 before junk filter... MUCH MUCH worse... Hell now there's a V1 that is probably the quietest detector out ATM.
Post automatically merged:

You all act like the R3 is like running an S7 in today's world... If you want to see falses and constant bombardment run one of those today... Lol

Last edited:

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
@CobawLT2010 I hear ya man. I think a lot of it also has to deal with each person’s environment and their route they drive. I for one pretty much travel the same area over and over and I know the specific spots I expect my V1 to false at. Anything outside of these areas and I know it’s either legit or a possible fault. Hell, I enough habits of situational areas of speed or not that I can even guess with pretty good certainty where one might be if he’s not C/O. The big kicker is for people who drive in areas that are so polluted by falses that their detector is basically useless. You can only do so much with app muting and conditional settings, but in the end they’re all bandaids for the big problem. Frankly it’s annoying that no company has done more to fix the issue, all they do is just release the same junk year after year in repackaged cases and boxes and call it a new detector for $500 or more and people buy into that shit like it’s something new.

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I can also figure out if it's a BSM
And now you won’t have to anymore. Just because you are confident you can mostly differentiate a BSM blip from a distant I/O most of the time doesn’t mean everyone can, that you should have to, that the detector isn’t chatty on K, or that you’re correct.

If Theia lives up to the promise, it will keep down the annoying chatter from falses and the resulting annoying chatter from passengers ;)

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
What's funny is that a Passport was $300 back in '88 and I think those '88 dollars had a lot more buying power than a thousand 2020 dollars. My house costs about 7 times more. A new Mustang is about 4 times more.
Not to hijack your post, but I felt the need to be a pedant here. $300 in '88 dollars is roughly equivalent to $660 in '20 dollars. Real estate prices and automobile MSRPs do not increase proportionally to the CPI, for various reasons.

CarefulDriver

Wiping dust of R1
Beginner User
Reaction score
@Jon at Radenso can you tell us when you are going to publish the testing/demo videos? It would not expose the release date in any way.

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes, when you set the detector's K band filtering to be so aggressive that it has the same efficacy as disabling the band.
Be very careful my friend. You’re going to hurt some feelings when you write stuff like that. It’s irrelevant that you’re right. :)

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes, when you set the detector's K band filtering to be so aggressive that it has the same efficacy as disabling the band.
That's something I meant to bring up before. All of today's detectors suffer from slow reactivity to K due to their approach to filtering. Some you can adjust (R series), some you can't (V1G2). But it's always a trade off between reactivity/range and quietness to falses. It's been a while since I experimented with it, but if I don't disable all filtering, TSF, etc, on my R3, and I run it in Highway (or Advanced 100%, same result) it's really good on K-band. Which also meant I got tons of falses because it was reacting to way more than just legit threats.

Everyone has a tolerance level for falses. The ideal is to have zero falses and 100% reactivity and range. No detector comes anywhere near close to that today. Theia is supposed to. We'll see.

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've become somewhat accustomed to the K (and occasional Ka) falsing that's gotten worse and worse since since the last century. On the rare trips that my RD's were silent I would worry they weren't working right. My brain needed the equivalent of water torture.
This should not be what we call normal. I really hope Theia is the real deal. Our RD's should be useful tools, not some perverse distraction while we try to focus on driving.

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

First, the CPI is bogus in my opinion. Its goal isn't to accurately reflect the purchasing power of the dollar. With items such as digital cameras and TVs on the list.... Everyone needs shelter, food, and most need a car or truck. The real cost of living expense increases are not reflected in the CPI. Try buying anything real: Copper wiring, lumber, food, housing, daycare, a dental crown, a new driveway, etc and tell me your dollar buys half what it did in '88.

I'm half in agreement with you on "same efficacy as disabling the band." My personal experience and this is only with G2 is that it isn't the same at all. I've had numerous K band saves in L mode. But that must be qualified: None of them were against low power K and only two were against I/O and it wasn't particularly selective. My number one concern with the G2 is either being desensitized by all the false flashing in l or missing an I/O ahead in L. @CobawLT2010 is right- I too have been dealing with falsing since the '80s but it just wasn't to the same extreme. I get it, he doesn't have the same level of K band trouble where he primarily drives. I also can usually tell what's BSm and what isn't. Still find it annoying.

I want Theia primarily for solving the K band problem but also for the increased SA it promises. It also promises to solve the only other concern I have with G2 and that is detecting FM threats. No, I don't have them where I live but I travel a lot. Finally, I feel the personal need to support a small company with the stones to design, build, and market this product so far advanced over anything previously available. Support from customers is the only way any business can advance the state of the art. Jon risked the company. I'll risk that grand.

CobawLT2010

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Funny when I still get plenty of warning on a legit K band hit... I wouldn't consider that to be "aggressive".

Tests also show my settings are not aggressive and will net a save and are not a huge detriment to range. Yes there is a slight tradeoff but not as significant as it once was. It's not like I'm in advanced with 20% sensitivity set... TSF/TMF and k-filter on is what most people should be running IMO... This is probably why some of you think the R3/R1/R7 line are so poor at filtering... if you have these filters off.

Last edited:

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Funny when I still get plenty of warning on a legit K band hit... I wouldn't consider that to be "aggressive".

Tests also show my settings are not aggressive and will net a save and are not a huge detriment to range. Yes there is a slight tradeoff but not as significant as it once was. It's not like I'm in advanced with 20% sensitivity set... TSF/TMF and k-filter on is what most people should be running IMO... This is probably why some of you think the R3/R1/R7 line are so poor at filtering... if you have these filters off.
TSF can miss K I/O shots and is not suitable for people who drive in rural environments where K I/O is used, especially rolling I/O.

CobawLT2010

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
TSF can miss K I/O shots and is not suitable for people who drive in rural environments where K I/O is used, especially rolling I/O.
Funny... I’ve never missed a shot when I get them... even with TSF on... if my dash cam were still working I’d have plenty of cases where I could show you... that right there is misinformation. They are trained to obtain a tracking history... if they don’t get that they don’t give a ticket... the po by me doesn’t just turn on their units all Willy nilly either... when they do I usually find them down the road with a customer...

Not much of a delay... trust me they keep their guns on longer than this... if not then your dealing with QT... and that doesn’t exist where I am... and if they’re trained correctly... where you live too...

Last edited:

DeerHunter

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just curious, how would you know about the shots you may have missed?

Q ship

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I don't have them where I live but I travel a lot. Finally, I feel the personal need to support a small company with the stones to design, build, and market this product so far advanced over anything previously available. Support from customers is the only way any business can advance the state of the art.

This is my reasoning too. Anytime I travel outside my normal area I have to spend more effort and it has more effect on my driving to determine or attempt to determine if a signal is a BSM,or other false alert or if it is real. Auto or manual lock outs don't help, filtering can reduce but not eliminate all alerts. Theia if it works as we all hope it will makes filtering and lockouts a moot point regardless of where we travel near home or far away. Every alert can be acted upon because there won't be so many unknown alerts.

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
@Jon at Radenso can you tell us when you are going to publish the testing/demo videos? It would not expose the release date in any way.

We never give exact dates for firmware, videos and products because if for some reason something happens and it is delayed, everyone comes after us with pitch forks here complaining.

We have some awesome stuff to show everyone and once it is all ready, we’ll let everyone know.

Borntoride2020

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
We never give exact dates for firmware, videos and products because if for some reason something happens and it is delayed, everyone comes after us with pitch forks here complaining.

We have some awesome stuff to show everyone and once it is all ready, we’ll let everyone know.
It’s close! Haha

CobawLT2010

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just curious, how would you know about the shots you may have missed?
I’ve done my testing... have you?

I have a python KA gun and know a friend I can borrow a K band antenna from as well... Not to mention test benches where I work...

as the video shows... very little delay...
Post automatically merged:

Lawl... I can’t wait to see the people with pitchforks complaining about the back order...

Last edited:

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Someone will find something to whine about no matter what you guys do. I expect most will look unreasonable by the subjective standards of the regulars on RDF. I can already hear "a RD at this price should perform better at ______!" With Radenso's guarantee there will be no excuse for it but that won't stop them. Many here have the confidence in Radenso to order upon release and I expect you'll be treated fairly by most of the tough customers at RDF.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tdelkins40