Android Auto, Waze, and GPS (including JBV1)

tjl5709

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Just thought I might share this here.

I've had an issue with Waze losing the GPS location on my phone. It mostly occurs when my phone is plugged into my receiver in the car which activates android auto, but it has happened when I use the phone alone in other vehicles.

I now have it occurring as well with JBV1 when I'm running my V1G2.

I can correct the issue if I cycle the location (gps) icon in settings, but it can be a pain as android auto slows everything down when manually operating the phone. Others have to sometimes reboot.

I was trying to set up a tasker macro, and then looked into Macrodroid. This is not a feasible option for me. To cycle the gps in a macro is only an option if the phone is rooted. I have enough trouble keeping my current phone/tablet/PC running smoothly. I don't need another headache attempting to root. So, I continued to look for other options to manage this issue.

I found something that seems to be working.

I loaded an app called GPS Locker. It is like other GPS fixer apps, but it has an additional benefit. In the settings, you can create a quick launch icon and align it with Waze (and/or JBV1) (or other programs) The icon looks like the original icon, but it has a small GPS Lock emblem attached. It works good enough that I purchased to prime version.

When I activate the icon, GPS Locker Prime starts, it gets the GPS signal locked in, then starts Waze (or JBV1). I have not had an issue since starting the apps this way. I have both Waze and JBV1 icons setup on my home screen.

For the JBV1 users, I shut off the auto start function and turned on the auto connect. This way, I get the gps locked in, JBV1 then starts, and then it auto connects to the V1G2 without having to click the connect icon in the app. It is about as clean and seamless a fix as I can make it.

For the record, my phone is a Note 8.

NVR2FST

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

BMWBig6

Premium Lifetime
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
For the JBV1 users, I shut off the auto start function and turned on the auto connect. This way, I get the gps locked in...

When you say you "get the gps locked in" do you mean you manually press the GPS locking app you just installed? (It doesn't auto-load or stay resident in the background?)

thekaz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have the same phone (Note 8) with the same exact problem. It was occurring on Google Maps to the point where I'd have to restart the route guidance. I'm fairly new to Waze, but last night I had an issue where the GPS "froze" my car in place for around a minute. The problem seemed to fix itself, but it gave me ideas that the two could be connected. It never used to happen on Google Maps, but I think with a recent update the GPS functionality changed.

tjl5709

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
When you say you "get the gps locked in" do you mean you manually press the GPS locking app you just installed? (It doesn't auto-load or stay resident in the background?)
You open the GPS locker app and go to the setup menu.
There is a line item called " Add the quick launch shortcut"
This will open another menu that allows you to select a program. Select waze, or JBV1 or what ever.
It creates a new icon on your phone.
When you select this new icon, it starts GPS locker, locks your GPS signal, then launches the app you selected. GPS locker runs in the background.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just thought I might share this here.

I've had an issue with Waze losing the GPS location on my phone. It mostly occurs when my phone is plugged into my receiver in the car which activates android auto, but it has happened when I use the phone alone in other vehicles.

I now have it occurring as well with JBV1 when I'm running my V1G2.

I can correct the issue if I cycle the location (gps) icon in settings, but it can be a pain as android auto slows everything down when manually operating the phone. Others have to sometimes reboot.

I was trying to set up a tasker macro, and then looked into Macrodroid. This is not a feasible option for me. To cycle the gps in a macro is only an option if the phone is rooted. I have enough trouble keeping my current phone/tablet/PC running smoothly. I don't need another headache attempting to root. So, I continued to look for other options to manage this issue.

I found something that seems to be working.

I loaded an app called GPS Locker. It is like other GPS fixer apps, but it has an additional benefit. In the settings, you can create a quick launch icon and align it with Waze (and/or JBV1) (or other programs) The icon looks like the original icon, but it has a small GPS Lock emblem attached. It works good enough that I purchased to prime version.

When I activate the icon, GPS Locker Prime starts, it gets the GPS signal locked in, then starts Waze (or JBV1). I have not had an issue since starting the apps this way. I have both Waze and JBV1 icons setup on my home screen.

For the JBV1 users, I shut off the auto start function and turned on the auto connect. This way, I get the gps locked in, JBV1 then starts, and then it auto connects to the V1G2 without having to click the connect icon in the app. It is about as clean and seamless a fix as I can make it.

For the record, my phone is a Note 8.
Is this still working for you? I am having GPS issues on my Galaxy S8.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbl470