Info Photo Radar Info (MultaRadar, Gatso, Mesta Fusion, Redflex, etc.)

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
We have those in the lower mainland added to red light camera locations so its public where they are. However we are not really sure what they, my R7 with MRCD/CT on, and other local members RD’s nothing alerts to them...
I remember that the government stated that many of the current RLC had the ability to use the existing hardware to measure speed on green, so I assume by using the road sensors.
Where i'm confused is seeing new camera systems going up replacing existing or whole new systems. So the above statement not true in all locations?

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Not sure if replacing or new....road sensors rings a bell..

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
This is a great idea. Had to comment so I can go back

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Add Toronto to the survey.
Can anyone ID systems used there?
This article shows a Redflex.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Anyone know what these are?

IMG_20200911_121027.jpg

Is this a SafeSpeed, and if so, does it use radar? We tried to do data collection on this in Chicago today but had extreme difficulty picking up a signal.

Last edited:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Jon at Radenso - Looks like you called it.

See the video looping in the background here: https://safespeedllc.com/solutions/

I found some more information hidden behind the button titled "How it works" on their homepage.

SafeSpeed’s wireless magnetic sensor system coupled with cutting edge algorithms accurately detect red light violations in both good and bad weather, 24 hours a day.

An optional pairing with a cutting edge 3D Radar unit adds the ability to detect speeding violations.

When SafeSpeed’s processes all of its data, whether from magnetic sensors or radar, the system captures all violations and attaches appropriate high resolution images, and video.

It would seem that the RADAR is not required for deployment, and is optional.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Thanks.

Any frequency information would be useful, whether it's RADAR or how it communicates with the magnetic sensors. These are definitely a minority of cameras in Chicago compared to MRCT and Redflex, but I still want to know everything we can about them.
Post automatically merged:

One thing I will share with you guys that really surprised me. We found New Richmond, OH has old Gatsometer cameras running at 23.7ghz. Way out of spec but still issuing tickets. The waveform is actually fairly similar to MRCT, but the channel spacing is different and the pulse duration is different.

Last edited:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In the photo you posted, there appears to be a label on the bottom of the small square box up high on the lamp pole. I suspect that box is a radio antenna of some kind, be it RADAR, or a wireless data bridge. I'd suggest seeing if you can take a high quality photo camera with a good zoom optic on it, and seeing if you are able to zoom in on the label(s).

I haven't found anything via FCCID.io associated with SafeSpeed LLC. I suspect they are simply using equipment supplied by another manufacturer. If so, we'd have to know what manufacturer is providing their RADAR antenna to begin narrowing the search for specific equipment IDs.

I'd also like to know more about these wireless magnetic antennas, which they seem to indicate are NOT using RADAR, implied by the mention that they can optionally be paired with RADAR, or otherwise used standalone.

One thing I will share with you guys that really surprised me. We found New Richmond, OH has old Gatsometer cameras running at 23.7ghz. Way out of spec but still issuing tickets. The waveform is actually fairly similar to MRCT, but the channel spacing is different and the pulse duration is different.

If the itch needs to be scratched, here's an organization that may be interested in hearing about those particular Gatsometers ;)

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score

dyn0mitemat

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Dragoncams are all over NE Ohio, Youngstown and surrounding cities, as well as up near Cleveland, down to at least East Liverpool

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Are the RedFlex Nk6-s mk4 in Chicago running off inductive loops?

We had zero problem recording Xerox and MRCT, but the ATS Axis, Redflex, and SafeSpeed seem to lack K band emissions.

The Xerox cameras are a unique signature and not simply re-used MRCT, though our detectors confuse it for MRCT sometimes.

Can anyone let me know where in the USA there are Redflex fixed cams running radar and not inductive loops?

Last edited:

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Arizona?

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The only Redflex RLC left in Az are in the town where I live, and they use the loops. I pick up MRCT on my R’’s from a good distance, but that’s from their co-located speed radar. All the other towns with RLC in Az contract with ATS, or whatever they’re calling themselves now (Verra Mobility?).

hiddencam

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Can anyone let me know where in the USA there are Redflex fixed cams running radar and not inductive loops?
Here's a Redflex unit running in Union City, TN I came across in December last year (https://goo.gl/maps/fb3ziTRmkrHMYVAu8).
They also run one in front of the car dealership at 2022 W Reelfoot Ave, Union City, TN 38261
Only about a 5 hr drive from your office!! :)

This article dated April 17, 2019 says, "speed vans will continue to operate in Union City for at least two more years as Union City City Council voted 4-3 to extend the contract with Redflex."

Here's the Google street view of the one in front of the car dealership haha

Screenshot 2020-09-12 at 5.41.22 PM.png

Last edited:

poolmon

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Several Poliscan Lasers in Frederick MD have been replaced by similar sized boxes but they no longer emit a signal detectable to my RD (which includes MRCD). I ended up having to communicate with the local PD and they just identified them as "Jenoptik Auto Patrol" Units certified by the FCC (not FDA . . . laser). Below is a photo of these new cameras replacing Poliscans along with some additional operational info below the photo:

Jenoptik.JPG
Traffic Patrol.JPG

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Great info. I will have to get out there to take a recording of it. 3d radar cameras are getting more and more popular and current radar detectors don't pick them up. Chicago has some newer Axis 360 and SafeSpeed cameras which are the same way. Initially I thought they weren't putting out any K band energy at all, but they actually put out a FMCW signal that is hugely wideband. They are very different waveforms than MRCT/MRCD which is just a multi-tone "pulsed" signal.

3d radar cameras we have seen do a FMCW excursion, park and emit a multi-tone pulsed signal, then do a FMCW sweep back. MRCT is not really FMCW since it's staying in 3 channels. That's why the crude MRCT match filters in current radar detectors don't ping on these.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Man, I had no idea there were so many different systems out there! Thanks for putting in the time and energy @Jon at Radenso into making sure Theia can pick these up! It looks like this may be another big advantage in addition to the no BSM falses.

poolmon

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Here is some detail on how the "Jenoptik AutoPatrol" 3D Radar Cameras are maintained:

"Prior to operation each day, the system performs a system self-test. This self-test performs an electronic tuning
fork test to produce a specific frequency and returns an associated speed value. Only if the return value meets
the acceptance criteria to show that the system is operating correctly will the system enter measure mode.
Unless a self-test is successful, the system will not enter measure mode and no violations will be captured.
Additional information stored as metadata within each image includes coordinates of the vehicle position at
the time of capture. This information is extracted and utilized through a secondary speed verification process
to provide yet another means to validate offender speed and position based on the two images obtained and
image analytics. In addition to the internal system checks and the manufacturer calibration certification, the
3D radar system is subject to routine and independent calibration check of the speeds produced by the system
at least annually by a qualified technician.

Each day the computer which controls the fixed speed safety camera system is rebooted. The reboot is
initiated each day and each time the computer is rebooted an internal check is performed on all operations of
each fixed speed safety camera system, including the clocks, sensors, camera and speed calculating hardware
and software, in order to verify that all operations are functioning correctly. When the internal check detects a
problem with one of the operations on a given fixed speed safety camera system, then that particular fixed
speed safety camera system is inactivated and a request for service is relayed to ATS support personnel. This
means that violations cannot be issued until any internal problem is fixed.

Speed validation tests are regularly performed on each installed and operable AutoPatrol 3D radar
fixed speed safety camera system. The test is conducted by having a LIDAR Operator obtain true measurements of up to five vehicles per lane in the ascending and/or descending direction. The speed of the vehicle is captured by the LIDAR Operator and then relayed via cellular to an ATS Technician. The ATS Technician then compares the vehicle speed measured by the AutoPatrol 3D radar fixed speed safety camera system to the speed measured by the LIDAR Operator to ensure the accuracy of the AutoPatrol 3D radar fixed speed safety camera system. ATS maintains the results of each test in a Validation Report."

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jln