Purchase V1G2 or Redline 360c?

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The Max, RedLine ,R3 &7 also pick up license plate readers as Ka and they do it from a very good distance 1/4 to 1/2 mile away I have notice this for a long time, I don't think anyone has talked about that on this form. Just another reason why top of the line detector are worth the extra $$$. The R3 is the best bargain out their for under $300.
I have all of those detectors and have not noticed one of them picking up License Plate Reader as Ka. I see a lot of the fixed pole mounted ones and on LEO vehicles - especially near the border. I drove by 2 cars last week with readers and the drivers were talking to each other - but only the V1 was running and no Ka until I drove back and only one car was left doing enforcement.

On Occasion the Max and OG Redline/Magnum would alert to the fixed mounted ones near the Canadian border as laser, but none of my newer detectors do. I have yet to see a detector alert to Ka, but maybe I thought it was their actual radar and not the reader.

Could there be different versions of plate readers where some alert and some do not? I know there is ANPR and ALPR, but I dong know how many MFGs of there their could be.

Since they are light, I am not sure how that would set of Ka in the detectors, is it some kind of Harmonic like we see with some Dash Cams?

The next time I see one I will use a few different detectors. I see them all the time.

I think it would be pretty cool if they did alert and could tell us a plate scanner was nearby. There would be a lot of interest for them on the reservation near the border if they did. Some of them have Res Plates and swap them out in various locations to prevent being tracked.

Last edited:

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have all of those detectors and have not noticed one of them picking up License Plate Reader as Ka. I see a lot of the fixed pole mounted ones and on LEO vehicles - especially near the border. I drove by 2 cars last week with readers and the drivers were talking to each other - but only the V1 was running and no Ka until I drove back and only one car was left doing enforcement.

On Occasion the Max and OG Redline/Magnum would alert to the fixed mounted ones near the Canadian border as laser, but none of my newer detectors do. I have yet to see a detector alert to Ka, but maybe I thought it was their actual radar and not the reader.

Could there be different versions of plate readers where some alert and some do not? I know there is ANPR and ALPR, but I dong know how many MFGs of there their could be.

Since they are light, I am not sure how that would set of Ka in the detectors, is it some kind of Harmonic like we see with some Dash Cams?

The next time I see one I will use a few different detectors. I see them all the time.

I think it would be pretty cool if they did alert and could tell us a plate scanner was nearby. There would be a lot of interest for them on the reservation near the border if they did. Some of them have Res Plates and swap them out in various locations to prevent being tracked.
They may not have had them turned on. In Staten Is. they sit eastbound on the exway usually on a Saturdat morning, traffic is lighter just before the big hill. My detectors go crazy full blast Ka and stay that way until I'm a good distance past them, the arrows flip as I go by and you can see the readers on the trunk of the police car. He may be using radar or both of the unites at the same time I don't know but it's happened to me a few times.

Stanley1125

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Back on post #43, the OP said that he decided to go with the Radenso ProM.

The information shared since then has been valuable, but what @Heywood shared was especially pertinent because his tests showed that the RL360C doesn’t detect MRCD/CT.
The redline picks up MRCD great in NY it out performed the R7 up until the update of 133 which I did update before going to NY last week and it performed way better and at one point beat out my Redline 360c by a block I did try and upload the Videos I had I don't know if they uploaded to the forum or not please let me know if they did or if there is a way I can email them to vortex and let him put them up for everyone to see
Post automatically merged:

Back on post #43, the OP said that he decided to go with the Radenso ProM.

The information shared since then has been valuable, but what @Heywood shared was especially pertinent because his tests showed that the RL360C doesn’t detect MRCD/CT.
I couldn't upload the videos on here but if you go to @Vortex Facebook page from 6 days ago about the R7 update I uploaded 2 videos showing the R7 and the Redline 360c both alerting to MRCD they are the same speed camera and both alerted about the same spot i had shut the Redline off and turned the R7 on and turned around to see if it picked up the camera and it did at almost the same spot

Last edited:

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Both the RedLine & R7 pick up the low power K band radar very well. I find the R7 to hardly ever fault to MRCD/CT the RedLine falts but nothing you can't live with. Also the V1G2 is useless against this I don't want to relie on a phone app to protect me. I will not use it in NY for this reason.

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
They may not have had them turned on. In Staten Is. they sit eastbound on the exway usually on a Saturdat morning, traffic is lighter just before the big hill. My detectors go crazy full blast Ka and stay that way until I'm a good distance past them, the arrows flip as I go by and you can see the readers on the trunk of the police car. He may be using radar or both of the unites at the same time I don't know but it's happened to me a few times.
I very much doubt they turned them off, Its a national security issue, and there were some security concerns there recently after 2 individuals were kidnapped by a drug cartel and brought across the border to be held in Canada.

What about all the other times I come across a Homeland Security vehicle with ANPR (with no radar) and do not get a Ka alert, sometimes going through the border or a checkpoint 100 miles away where they are capturing all the plates.

Occom's Razor - Would it not make the most sense that the LEOs are running Ka band in their vehicles, and no alert actually came from the ANPR? The alert from a ways away also would indicate that it was an actual radar unit you were picking up. If these things actually alerted Ka on detectors, I would have imagined someone would have found out and used it to their advantage.

Perhaps some other members can chime in with their experience.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
How can an optical device transmit on Ka band? Or K.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
X man