Questions about ALP hardware and setup

ranjha

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Posted this elsewhere but figured it was more relevant to this thread section. I purchased an ALP setup used from someone and have the following questions before I go ahead with the install.

1.) One one of the RX heads, there’s a little rubber strip that’s starting to peel off, is this bad? Is that waterproofing? Will the sensor short out in the rain now?

2.) Do I have to use the external speaker (this cube is huge) with the HiFi controller? If not, where does the sound come out from if the external speaker isn’t used?

3.) Do I have to use an LED light? It wasn’t included it seems, but I also wasn’t planning on using it either. Voice alerts is more than enough for me + the LED on the controller.

4.) Can I just wrap all the sensors with some waterproof sealing tape (and maybe around the wire where it connects to the sensor) and be good for rain/pressure washes?

5.) Where should I be mounting the GPS? Is it waterproof? Can it be outside? Will it generally be long enough to sit next to a tollway transponder by the rear view mirror on the windshield inside?

157457.jpg

odiddy

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Did you buy these used? That looks like the double sided mount tape that’s peeling and not the device seal

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
1.) One one of the RX heads, there’s a little rubber strip that’s starting to peel off, is this bad? Is that waterproofing? Will the sensor short out in the rain now?
- Get some Silicon tape and fix it up just in case.

2.) Do I have to use the external speaker (this cube is huge) with the HiFi controller? If not, where does the sound come out from if the external speaker isn’t used?
- Yes, unless you have your alerts coming to your phone via Bluetooth.

3.) Do I have to use an LED light? It wasn’t included it seems, but I also wasn’t planning on using it either. Voice alerts is more than enough for me + the LED on the controller.
- I would say it is a good way to tell what state your ALP is in. I personally would regard it as must have. Though, as above if you had a bluetooth connection to a phone, you could do without the led light.

4.) Can I just wrap all the sensors with some waterproof sealing tape (and maybe around the wire where it connects to the sensor) and be good for rain/pressure washes?
- Pass, something for the seasoned folk to answer

5.) Where should I be mounting the GPS? Is it waterproof? Can it be outside? Will it generally be long enough to sit next to a tollway transponder by the rear view mirror on the windshield inside?
- Inside.

ranjha

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Did you buy these used? That looks like the double sided mount tape that’s peeling and not the device seal
It's definitely the seal. Sorry for the bad angle.
Post automatically merged:

- I would say it is a good way to tell what state your ALP is in. I personally would regard it as must have. Though, as above if you had a bluetooth connection to a phone, you could do without the led light.
Thanks for all the info! Just to confirm though, bluetooth is not required to be able to do away with the LED, you're just suggesting is as a comparable replacement. But everything should work properly without Bluetooth and without an LED?

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
But everything should work properly without Bluetooth and without an LED?

Apologies, I retract my earlier requirement for speaker/LED or bluetooth - assuming you have the hifi set. You should be fine without the external LED. So if you place the alp hifi module easily visible to you, you should be able to see the lights which shows which state your ALP is in. See the video below to see how the Speaker can be hidden.

Old Video - but shows the hifi module in action -

Last edited:

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’d suggest keeping the LED.
Put it somewhere by your instrument cluster where it can catch your eyes.

It can be extremely helpful for things as front or rear shots. If the widows up, or the music is turned up.... the visual alert will help.

norteno

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have a hardware question about the ALP too. Does it come with the external LED as part of the kit or is it an add on item?

jcp

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The HiFi edition comes with the external LED and sspeaker.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k6ssey