Got smashed with IO

Zoya11

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Cops are Doing it in oz too. They flick the detector on at the last minute. I picked up a cop do this in a school zone at the last minute. Picked him up 80metres away

Mayuri Krab

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I got done like this last month too...

104 in 90 zone, rural road some 300km from Perth, bloody road kept on changing between 90/100 every few kms and I must have missed the last sign change, rural patrol 4x4 showed up around a corner, next moment, V1 was going full blast and then flashing lights...

DEMON5

What's a PSL
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Where are you?
Post automatically merged:
Wellington and notice this when travelling up the lower and central north island.. They don't shoot the rabbit alot of the time then fire at me and it's a little too close for comfort. It's definitely a growing tend where they are very selective in their targets.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Wellington has always been heavily Policed, even during MOT days. I always thought it was to impress the Pollies as to how hard they're working. This is a new twist though.

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your ticket, that really sucks! Recently I was cursing a car in front of me for driving 2-3 MPH under the limit, prior to coming up behind him I was doing 20 over the PSL. As I hit the crest of a hill, a LEO flipped his I/O but because of the snail in front of me I was doing the limit. Whew!

nzradars

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Got hit with instant-on as well, Desert Road @ 118km a few days ago. If only the Stinger VIP was installed! At least then we'd have had a chance.

My first ever RADAR ticket, only other was laser five years ago before getting "better protection" at 2am on a Tuesday, Auckland central motorway.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Got hit with instant-on as well, Desert Road @ 118km a few days ago. If only the Stinger VIP was installed! At least then we'd have had a chance.
What were you running when you got hit with I/O ?

nzradars

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What were you running when you got hit with I/O ?
Uniden R7. I'd slowed down to 113 before I even LOOKED at the detector's GPS speed.

I was distracted. Speed doesn't kill, distraction does. If I wasn't distracted, I would have seen a car in the distance and would have been doing closer to 100 than 120, just in case.

Instant on is almost as quick as laser. It's hardly a fair sport. :(

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Man, that sucks.
I’ve def noticed an increase in I/O activity.
Particularly in the Waikato.
Same here in Rotorua, even cruising around town in relatively heavy traffic - it's quite funny and utterly pointless if you have a RD with reasonable detection range...

Vaughn Road (where my work is located) is probably the most dangerous road in town. It's quiet, wide, largely straight with only a few driveways and was recently reduced from a speed limit of 70 down to 50 (it feels ridiculous driving at 50 on this road). I see red Highway patrol guys cruising it frequently (using I/O about half the the time) or parked up (both constant and I/O), there was even a redflex camera and a highway a patrol parked around the bend from each other at the same time, it's crazy (handy for checking that your CMs work though lol). I've seen heaps of people pulled over with flashing lights behind them on that road... Including my boss who's recently migrated from the USA.

Come to Rotorua if you need to check your Ka band! lol.

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Noticed the same in the wairarapa, they have started using I/O heaps, I’ve had 2 close calls this week

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I keep trying Claire, but I seem to chase cops away when I go there.

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
You know there is a solution..... don't speed.

Oops, sorry, wrong forum.
For me it's not about speeding, with NZ moving to zero tolerance speed limit enforcement, the fact there are speedo errors and how easy it is to slip just over the limit while in the traffic flow, you'd want any opportunity to locate speed cameras and to correct your speed if needed, without incurring a speeding fine. :)

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yep, funny though. Like saying dodge Covid, don't breathe.

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I keep trying Claire, but I seem to chase cops away when I go there.
Lol, I do not know how you manage it! I typically get a Ka band detection within about 10 minutes of entering the 'city' limits, it's crazy. It is also a relatively rare trip too or from work (13 min drive across town) where I don't get a detection.

I think you could potentially market your traffic-cop repelling powers for a fairly lucrative sum. I'm sure many on this site would be pretty envious of your super power, it's one heck of an active countermeasure! ;)

Claire

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Sorry, My powers are only for good, they're not for sale. But for a small fee I'll run interference for you.
We went over SH36 to RVegas for brunch on Sunday, then back around the lake and through to Paengaroa. Not a beep anywhere.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnnyWishbone