New R1 owner question

PlannerOne

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I incorrectly posted a question about my new R1 in the "Introduce Yourself" forum so I'm reposting here.

Hello all. I recently found this forum when I decided to get more serious about my driver toolkit. Based on information in this forum and from Vortex site, I purchased a Uniden R1 (at least until Theia is released and reviewed). I visor mount my unit with a modified clip from another brand.

My question is regarding the "Eagle Eye" sensor on top of the unit. From information in this forum, I do realize the placebo effect of laser detection in a radar detector. This sensor claims 360 degrees of protection. I am assuming this means laser detection. But there was a post from another user who indicated they removed this sensor from their unit to reduce false signals received from the rear, but still received signals.

So does that mean this sensor that was removed is not the only receiver of laser light?

I'm asking because since I visor mount my unit, this sensor is obscured in the sun visor, with no line of sight.

I'm trying to determine if I am giving up all laser detection by doing this, or does the R1 have laser detection located somewhere else? (or, where are the laser light detectors located on the R1?)

wayne77

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I had the R3 (same as the R1 with gps added) and now the R7 and I've never even heard of eagle eye. Honestly, I would consider you have zero laser detection no matter what. A radar detector isn't going to help you when it comes to laser and any that say they do, is marketing fluff imho. The only protection from laser is to invest in some jammers.

PlannerOne

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The reference was made on page 6 and 7 of the owner's manual, with a description "element: Eagle Eye" "What it does-provides a 360 degree monitoring status"
I don't know what Uniden was supposed to infer by this description and function.
I was just looking for some additional info on my new purchase since another user has submitted a post that to reduce false signals this sensor was removed, but still receives signals. (??) This prompted my inquiry only into the location of the laser sensors to better understand the R1, with full understanding of their ineffectiveness per the information on this forum.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The reference was made on page 6 and 7 of the owner's manual, with a description "element: Eagle Eye" "What it does-provides a 360 degree monitoring status"
I don't know what Uniden was supposed to infer by this description and function.
I was just looking for some additional info on my new purchase since another user has submitted a post that to reduce false signals this sensor was removed, but still receives signals. (??) This prompted my inquiry only into the location of the laser sensors to better understand the R1, with full understanding of their ineffectiveness per the information on this forum.
He didn't remove the sensor. The Eagle Eye is just what you might call a "light pipe" that directs laser from the rear to the sensor for the front. Generally, it's not very effective.

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would not worry about blocking the sensor on top of the R1. That is a light pipe and you lose a lot of signal through that. The light pipe is theoretically used to detect laser from the rear. Laser from the front is taken care of by that round lens you see on the front of the R1 near the horn. I have picked up ISP laser with it and lidar guns used at test events.

The only rear laser sensor that I have seen pick up anything is on the V1. They do not use a light pipe but a rear facing sensor located in the display.

GTO_04

Last edited:

leprof

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hello,
The problem with the UNIDEN R3 and R7 is that red light alerts and fixed speed cameras are not indicated in France so if I take a UNIDEN it will necessarily be the R1.
I also need a very effective detector against lasers because in France there are so many !!!
All the tests I read, which are carried out by vortex, are mainly on radar bands in his country but it would also be interesting to have tests for European frequencies ;-)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tonyz3