Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That's a fantastic idea! Love it.

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Very creative. I think it’s clean yet easy to install as well as move it to another car when the time comes. Well done!

matt8119

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Just got my car back from the shop and was able to test fit my prints. Very happy with quality and price of the Jaws ASA Prints:
Would you be willing to share your RX sensor mount 3d files? I have no idea how to use cad software and the slim "barely there" designs you designed, would work perfectly for my application!

Thanks

Matt

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Front and back ALP License Plate mounts for my Kia Stinger are here, everything has been printed and test fit, but it has not been tested against any real threats.

The back bracket tucks the sensors up under the lip of the trunk. The front bracket is made thick to keep the TX flush with the front of the plate, and it mimics the curve of the upper grill. It drops the RX sensors down and slightly behind the plate, into the lower grill.

matt8119

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Front and back ALP License Plate mounts for my Kia Stinger are here, everything has been printed and test fit, but it has not been tested against any real threats.

The back bracket tucks the sensors up under the lip of the trunk. The front bracket is made thick to keep the TX flush with the front of the plate, and it mimics the curve of the upper grill. It drops the RX sensors down and slightly behind the plate, into the lower grill.

Thanks for sending the link for those 3d files. I was talking about the extra thin mounts. Like in the pictures you posted. Here.
2020-11-27 16_33_27-IMG_7650.JPG _- Photos.jpg

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@matt8119 I'm not familiar with that specific style, but you could probably try taking the STLs from Flonase's post and cutting them in half with meshmixer before printing.

R J

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
I didn't see any option for ASA material from Jaws. Is it perhaps under a different named material?

matt8119

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Just got my car back from the shop and was able to test fit my prints. Very happy with quality and price of the Jaws ASA Prints:
Your slim RX sensor mounts are look great and exactly what I was hoping to use for my install. I don't have much room for mounting my rear sensors... Would you be open to sharing these 3D files??

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Personally, I've been going for PETG + Plastidip for my parts. ASA has been a pain to work with, but I suppose if your paying for someone else to do it, it doesn't matter.

PETG does technically absorb water, but as long as it isn't submerged water absorption shouldn't be an issue.

ASA is probably technically the "best".

JaySC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this @Flonase! I'll be printing off some front mounts shortly as I'm getting ready to tackle my install. Still searching for a good rear plate mount. I found that adjustable setup (with the little plugs/holes) but now can't for the life of me find it again.

@SwapFile, your Stinger mounts look awesome! If you happen to want to design me something very similar with the right angles for my car please let me know! I'm always happy to compensate, buy beer, etc.

It seems like I could try to rig something with shims to get the right angle, but finding a simple 2xRX rear plate mount seems harder than expected. Any advice, links, input welcome!

Grumpy Finn

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thank You, exactly what I was looking for

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Given space constraints and the cable routing for my install (it's a big bundle of wire with 6 heads!) I didn't find the ALP control box holders to be very useful.

I had better luck zip tie-ing the CPU/GPS/BT units in place as I went, and also spreading out the units. GPS tucked high under the dash, BT closer to the driver. It also became very important to strategically position extra cable. I mounted the heads first, then the CPU, and then picked a spot along the cable run to loop and hide the excess cable. I need to do an install write-up this weekend.

It looks like the print has some bowing, you might want to double check that everything still fits, worst case print it oversize and use some padding.

Depending on the type of resin, SLA can handle the temp inside a car, and under the dash you shouldn't have to worry about UV stability.

Edit: Double check the resin used, and make sure it won't melt inside a hot summer car.

Last edited:

89q2hiu54warefs

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Given space constraints and the cable routing for my install (it's a big bundle of wire with 6 heads!) I didn't find the ALP control box holders to be very useful.

I had better luck zip tie-ing the CPU/GPS/BT units in place as I went, and also spreading out the units. GPS tucked high under the dash, BT closer to the driver. It also became very important to strategically position extra cable. I mounted the heads first, then the CPU, and then picked a spot along the cable run to loop and hide the excess cable. I need to do an install write-up this weekend.

It looks like the print has some bowing, you might want to double check that everything still fits, worst case print it oversize and use some padding.

Depending on the type of resin, SLA can handle the temp inside a car, and under the dash you shouldn't have to worry about UV stability.

Edit: Double check the resin used, and make sure it won't melt inside a hot summer car.
He used SLA for this print, specifically this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M8J8PCX/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
SLA is the type of printer, resin is the liquid used, some is more friendly to high car temps than others.

It can get nasty pretty fast, even in northen states.

1615908346639.png

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
What you want to look for is the glass transition or deformation temperature which is often much lower.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I made a LED mount with diffuser as part of my JVB1 phone proclip mount. The photos don't capture it very well, but it evenly distributes the light, and works well in combination with the ALP automatic led brightness setting.

Proclips don't come with Dash charging cables, so I had to 3d print a cable holder anyway, this one just adds on the LED.

The design might not print very well for others, the diffuser is press fit with tight tolerances, I had to tweak it a few times. You may need to scale it up or down to fit.

I've been very pleased with the ALP system and it's included parts and documentation, only suggestion I would have is to maybe throw a 20 cent panel mount diffuser in the box, but I suppose every install is different enough it might not be worth it.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danimajado