Alp dropping support for Hw.1 and some Hw.2.

YeahthatGuy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
As you may be aware alp is dropping support for the very early Hw.1 and some Hw.2. I'm sure many may have questions just like myself so rather then everyone calling the distributor Monday morning asking the same questions I figured it might be worth while creating this post so we can keep on the same page.
Now I understand this is all developing news so I don't expect answers to any of my questions but if anyone including the distributor can add to this post it'll be greatly appreciated.

1. Is there a way we can find out YOP of our control units?

To be honest that's probably the main thing I want to know at the moment. I could ask weather the distributor will be offering upgrades at a discounted price but I'm sure we'll all find that out in the near future.

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think the easiest way to tell at the moment, is that if you download the latest update, and it doesn't update to 5.6.3, you've got one of the affected units, which won't go beyond the previous 5.5.8 firmware, and you've just downloaded 5.5.8 again.

I downloaded again yesterday for my 2 x HW.1 units (forgone conclusion), and the file hashes (CRC32) were exactly the same as the 5.5.8 firmware that I downloaded to my PC when 5.5.8 first came out.

I'm sure DGC will be busy in the morning :)

5.5.8 is good enough currently for anything in AU (inc Stalker XLR/RLR), with the exception if you're in VIC, and they have DragonEye Compact

YeahthatGuy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I think the easiest way to tell at the moment, is that if you download the latest update, and it doesn't update to 5.6.3, you've got one of the affected units, which won't go beyond the previous 5.5.8 firmware, and you've just downloaded 5.5.8 again.

I downloaded again yesterday for my 2 x HW.1 units (forgone conclusion), and the file hashes (CRC32) were exactly the same as the 5.5.8 firmware that I downloaded to my PC when 5.5.8 first came out.

I'm sure DGC will be busy in the morning :)

5.5.8 is good enough currently for anything in AU (inc Stalker XLR/RLR), with the exception if you're in VIC, and they have DragonEye Compact

Thanks for the reply winterbrew.

In regards to the update I'm a little confused. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I had tried to update my unit when the 5.6.3 first came out (which I didn't) and it failed then that would have been a give away that my unit fell into the earlier Hw.2. However looking at the thread in the Al page in regards to the 5.6.3 update on page 10 Tom put up a post saying they've put out a update for the older Hw.2 and then reading up on the thread for stopping of support it goes on to say this will be the last update for the older Hw.2.

Again correct me please but anyone with Hw.2 regardless of it being the newer or the earlier version will be able to update their unit to 5.6.3.

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
If you have your original box the easiest way to check is to look at the manufacture date on the box. If the date is earlier than July of 2015 it's update support is being discontinued.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

YeahthatGuy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
If you have your original box the easiest way to check is to look at the manufacture date on the box. If the date is earlier than July of 2015 it's update support is being discontinued.

Thank you for your reply and also the on going support. Honestly what you guys do is hands down amazing (sorry fan boy moment)

I think I have a few boxes laying around, I'll check tomorrow morning. Hopefully its the cpu boxes. But then again I have 4 cpu's and 12 sensor heads 😂😂 have that sinking feeling that its probably sensor boxes.

modsl55amg

"Jammin' 'Till Your GHz"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score

BRD/ BestRadarDetectors,

I have read all posts on this subject, including your post stating that you were able to convince corporate "into continuing updates on the old units since no notice was given". In that post you also stated that "Both HW2 should get this last update......this update will probably be its last".

I have not yet attempted to download the current f/w 5.6.3/8.8 to each one of my two Control Boxes. They are both HW2, with YOP of 12-2014 on one and YOP of 06-2015 on the other.

BRD, therefore, do I understand correctly that the current f/w of 5.6.3/8.8 should be able to be successfully downloaded on to both of my Control Boxes, and that f/w 5.6.3/8.8 will be the last and final f/w download that ALP corporate will ever release for my two specific Control Boxes?

Thank you.
Post automatically merged:

As you may be aware alp is dropping support for the very early Hw.1 and some Hw.2. I'm sure many may have questions just like myself so rather then everyone calling the distributor Monday morning asking the same questions I figured it might be worth while creating this post so we can keep on the same page.
Now I understand this is all developing news so I don't expect answers to any of my questions but if anyone including the distributor can add to this post it'll be greatly appreciated.

1. Is there a way we can find out YOP of our control units?

To be honest that's probably the main thing I want to know at the moment. I could ask weather the distributor will be offering upgrades at a discounted price but I'm sure we'll all find that out in the near future.

YeahthatGuy,

Hopefully you still have the boxes which your Control Unit came in. On the right side of the box there is a label which states:
The Control Unit number, e.g. AL PRIORITY - CONTROL UNIT Hw.2
The Control Unit's Serial Number
The year of production, e.g. YOP: 2014-12
There is also "REG N AME" which I assume means that it is registered for the North American market.

If you do not have the box which the ALP Control Unit came in, I am not aware of any other way to obtain the Control Box's YOP. If there is a way to do so, maybe another member may be able to help.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply winterbrew.

In regards to the update I'm a little confused. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I had tried to update my unit when the 5.6.3 first came out (which I didn't) and it failed then that would have been a give away that my unit fell into the earlier Hw.2. However looking at the thread in the Al page in regards to the 5.6.3 update on page 10 Tom put up a post saying they've put out a update for the older Hw.2 and then reading up on the thread for stopping of support it goes on to say this will be the last update for the older Hw.2.

Again correct me please but anyone with Hw.2 regardless of it being the newer or the earlier version will be able to update their unit to 5.6.3.

Yes, sorry you might be right there, that the older HW.2 will get one last update to 5.6.3, whilst the HW.1's will stay at 5.5.8

Dragons

Breathing fire
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Unless a state starts using a new gun, we're still covered for the foreseeable future anyhow, it's decently effective against Poliscan, but I suppose performance against S350's is less clear given other users results.

YeahthatGuy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
BRD/ BestRadarDetectors,

I have read all posts on this subject, including your post stating that you were able to convince corporate "into continuing updates on the old units since no notice was given". In that post you also stated that "Both HW2 should get this last update......this update will probably be its last".

I have not yet attempted to download the current f/w 5.6.3/8.8 to each one of my two Control Boxes. They are both HW2, with YOP of 12-2014 on one and YOP of 06-2015 on the other.

BRD, therefore, do I understand correctly that the current f/w of 5.6.3/8.8 should be able to be successfully downloaded on to both of my Control Boxes, and that f/w 5.6.3/8.8 will be the last and final f/w download that ALP corporate will ever release for my two specific Control Boxes?

Thank you.

YeahthatGuy,

Hopefully you still have the boxes which your Control Unit came in. On the right side of the box there is a label which states:
There is also "REG N AME" which I assume means that it is registered for the North American market.

If you do not have the box which the ALP Control Unit came in, I am not aware of any other way to obtain the Control Box's YOP. If there is a way to do so, maybe another member may be able to help.

Good Luck.

Thanks for all the information.
Just a had look and found the box of the first cpu I got. Mine is YOP 2016 10 with Aus for region. I bought my other cpu later on and the serial numbers reflect that so assuming they should be produced alot recently provided theres no curves balls in regards to serial numbers.

BRD/ BestRadarDetectors,

Thank you.

YeahthatGuy,

Good Luck.

modsl55amg

Your understanding is correct. From all the information provided in the main Alp page, both versions of the Hw.2 will get this 5.6.3 update. The update for the pre July 2015 unit has only be available for a few days now but as mentioned before this is the final update for the older units.

Last edited:

modsl55amg

"Jammin' 'Till Your GHz"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information.
Just a had look and found the box of the first cpu I got. Mine is YOP 2016 10 with Aus for region. I bought my other cpu later on and the serial numbers reflect that so assuming they should be produced alot recently provided theres no curves balls in regards to serial numbers.

modsl55amg

Your understanding is correct. From all the information provided in the main Alp page, both versions of the Hw.2 will get this 5.6.3 update. The update for the pre July 2015 unit has only be available for a few days now but as mentioned before this is the final update for the older units.

YeahthatGuy,

Thanks for your two replies.

Per your first Control Unit marked YOP 2016-10, I would assume it was manufactured in October of 2016. And, if your second Control Unit was produced after your first Control Unit, I would think that both units are well within the time frame in which Control Units can still be updated with the currently released f/w, as well as future f/w, until ALP decides to no longer support them.

I will try to download the new f/w release on my car which is not driven very much, so that if there is a problem, I will still have the ALP system operational on my main car, until I figure out the problem with the first download, if there should be a problem. Thanks again!

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just got this one, but wasn't holding out any hope as both my CPU's are HW.1;
ALP563 - Copy.JPG

Downloaded again, checked the file hashes (CRC32) with my previous 5.5.8, and it is the same file (5.5.8) - not suprised, as both my CPU's are 2014 purchase

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggo