uniden from 1990s

MichaelC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Bear tracker warning system for Europe ?

DrHow

Going Plaid+ (Tesla S). RDT refugee
Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Let us know what you think of the 885. I thought about buying it when Uniden first announced it but completely forgot about it after that. I'd definitely pick one up if it shows some potential.
Will do! I will first set up on house to see how it works sitting still when LEO are cruising close by. Been some time since I had big CB like device (RCI 2970 and 2950 owner) set in a vehicle. The 885 is not tiny. will be PIA. Especially since “CB” is not as effective as it once was. I will say this, the 2970 on 10m, few years ago when sun spot cycle was good, had huge range out in the boonies west of Mississippi River. Some cases was picking up South America. If it “accidentally” went over to 11m with a balanced antenna, range on SSB was excellent. Trucks back then use SSB on 11m (CB). Many had linear amps. With 100W on the 2970, did not need linear. :)

Delivery says Thursday.. Should be able to do unboxing in a week after that.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear how well this works too. :)

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

DrHow

Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear how well this works too. :)
3855DB2D-5264-433D-BD2F-06C027CBF8DE.jpeg

It is here.... Will get to this in next couple weeks.

@GTO_04, want to help with this science project? Should he pretty straight forward. test for defects, update, run on street. we can compare with the SDS100/GPS while mobile, and fixed with your SDS200. Hey, we ought to do some FW update my R3 vs. Your hottie R1, my R7 on new Vortex YouTube approved FW too. A “Uniden spring break”. :)

spinner55

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
There seems to be a common misconception that all police everywhere are going digital and encrypted, and that is just not so. I don't know if there are any hard numbers on percentages of in the clear vs encrypted, but I would guess far less than half of the police forces in the nation are digital, and less yet are encrypted. While there has indeed been a shift towards encryption, and that sucks, it is far from universal.

Digital does not, automatically, mean encrypted. There are many digital systems that are not encrypted, or have limited encrypted channels / groups, for example digital but not encrypted for dispatch, and encrypted for tactical channels.

Many large municipalities are still in the clear, such as the Los Angeles City Police which is P25 digital, but largely in the clear. Los Angeles county Sheriff transmissions are still analog FM. And while Vegas PD is indeed all digital and all encrypted, that does not mean there are not useful things to be heard on a scanner, such as the Nevada DPS / Highway Patrol.

T!
The entire state of Illinois (LE) is switching or has switched to the Motorola Statewide StarCom system. Which is the statewide 700/800 mhz. trucking repeater system. Our local police is and soon the Stephenson county will be 100% encrypted. All of Winnebago Sheriff and Rockford Police is 100% encrypted. The state of Wisconsin uses a hybrid statewide VHF and 700/800 digital system. I know Milwaukee is using Harris radio system. Harris uses a proprietary digital system - thus no scanners decode it.

DrHow

Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Decoding the voice is different than detecting the signal close by. The 885 docs suggest detection, regardless of encryption or not. With encryption, no ability to listen in on voice. IF accurate born out by testing, detection and alerting of nearby LEO, regardless of encryption or not) is my goal with this device. We will see.

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The entire state of Illinois (LE) is switching or has switched to the Motorola Statewide StarCom system. Which is the statewide 700/800 mhz. trucking repeater system. Our local police is and soon the Stephenson county will be 100% encrypted. All of Winnebago Sheriff and Rockford Police is 100% encrypted. The state of Wisconsin uses a hybrid statewide VHF and 700/800 digital system. I know Milwaukee is using Harris radio system. Harris uses a proprietary digital system - thus no scanners decode it.
Illinois is in the process of switching to VHF mobile extenders. Dual band VHF/800 MHz radios are making this possible. They had issues with the 700 MHz mobile extenders. ISP is still mostly in the clear. Most new Harris radio systems are P25. The older Harris Open Sky and EDACS systems are no longer being supported and are going away. My county EDACs system (Indiana) was abandoned back in 2015 because of very poor coverage. Too many times the deputies and local PDs had to use their cell phones because the radio system did not work.

Ironically my old 396XT still works very well with the Illinois Starcom 21 system even though many of the sites are simulcast.

Much of Wisconsin is still using VHF with its WISCOM system. Some of the larger counties like Dane, Milwaukee, and Waukesha are using their own 800 MHz P25 trunked radio systems. VHF P25 systems sound very good compared to the 800 MHz systems. I give Wisconsin credit for having the wisdom to use VHF for coverage of large geographic ares.

GTO_04

MichaelC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks ! I emailed them but it looks like these are a thousand euros each. Any cheaper alternatives or something you can buy in the USA and recalibrate?

spinner55

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Illinois is in the process of switching to VHF mobile extenders. Dual band VHF/800 MHz radios are making this possible. They had issues with the 700 MHz mobile extenders. ISP is still mostly in the clear. Most new Harris radio systems are P25. The older Harris Open Sky and EDACS systems are no longer being supported and are going away. My county EDACs system (Indiana) was abandoned back in 2015 because of very poor coverage. Too many times the deputies and local PDs had to use their cell phones because the radio system did not work.

Ironically my old 396XT still works very well with the Illinois Starcom 21 system even though many of the sites are simulcast.

Much of Wisconsin is still using VHF with its WISCOM system. Some of the larger counties like Dane, Milwaukee, and Waukesha are using their own 800 MHz P25 trunked radio systems. VHF P25 systems sound very good compared to the 800 MHz systems. I give Wisconsin credit for having the wisdom to use VHF for coverage of large geographic ares.

GTO_04
Hello Sir,

Yes - I knew of one 800 system in northern Wisconsin that worked terrible. Between all the iron and pine trees (per motorola tech) they had terrible coverage. Like the way their new VHF trunking system works up there. Take care spin

Last edited:

ljh505

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
If it issues an audio alert when it picks up a nearby encrypted talk group on a mobile (input) frequency that would be useful IMHO. It would be acting like a "cop detector."
Hence the marketing name "BearTracker" for these types of units dating back to the 1990s, vs. the normal Uniden scanner marketing name "BearCat" which dates back even earlier. Two different types of products. The BearTracker 885 (and earlier models using older analog technology) is marketed to the professional "Over the Road" (OTR) driver, who is not allowed to operate a radar detector in a commercial vehicle.

If you're a pro driver, you don't care so much about decrypting the encrypted voice on a talk group, you just want an alert to know if a LEO is active nearby so you don't do something stupid like try to pass another truck on a downhill. If a LEO is active on the input of a 700 MHz or 800 MHz digital trunking system and you're close enough to detect that, then a simple warning light and beep is useful info. The GPS receiver and trunking system database on the SD card allow the radio to automatically monitor the trunking system inputs near your current location.

Last edited:

DrHow

Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Let us know what you think of the 885. I thought about buying it when Uniden first announced it but completely forgot about it after that. I'd definitely pick one up if it shows some potential.
Updated SD card for latest frequencies aligned with the GPS. GPS Module seems to work well. So far, impressed. It does pick up nearby LEO, alerts (based on static and localized driving test) Encrypted or not. LEO audio scanner (hear them talk) works as advertised. CB/NWS features work excellent. FYI

Z06fan

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Updated SD card for latest frequencies aligned with the GPS. GPS Module seems to work well. So far, impressed. It does pick up nearby LEO, alerts (based on static and localized driving test) Encrypted or not. LEO audio scanner (hear them talk) works as advertised. CB/NWS features work excellent. FYI
That's a positive start. Thanks very much for the update and please keep us posted.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cajuncwby30