uniden from 1990s

biolink

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Does anyone remember a uniden scanner from the1990s that alerted when a patrol car was near by? It did not detect radar but a signal that the car emitted. I always wondered if they actually worked.

Last edited:

Token

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Could you be referring to the Beartracker function of Uniden scanners?

The Beartracker worked (and still does) by monitoring known short range signals from police cars. I think the first Uniden with this feature was the BCT7 in the mid 90's. Other people had been doing it for a while, but I think this was the first commercially advertised system with this specific goal. This was a known monitoring technique since at least as far back as the 70's.

For example, the CHP has an "extender" in every vehicle. Because of the conditions the CHP operates under, often in remote locations with marginal radio coverage, the hand held (HT) radios used may not be able to talk to control / dispatch under many conditions when the much higher powered, and better antenna equipped, mobile in the vehicle can. So the extender links the HT, via the car mounted radio, to dispatch. The paths go HT>patrol vehicle>dispatch and in the other direction dispatch>patrol vehicle>HT. The vehicle is a local repeater for the officers HT. If you monitor the link from the vehicle to the HT then you know anytime you hear a signal a vehicle is close. Anytime either dispatch called anyone, or the officer called dispatch, a signal on this freq was present, so it can be pretty active. More importantly, it is relatively low powered with confined coverage, so you know it is not too far away.

While not universal, many states have systems similar to this. And Uniden coined the term Beartracker for their technology that looked for these specific signals. It was really just a set of channels programmed with these frequencies and given priority status for the scanner.

Originally the CHP vehicles drove around with this low powered transmitter working all the time. So even if an officer was not outside the vehicle if you heard a signal that meant a car was not far away. Then (after monitoring it became popular) they modified the system so it only came on when an officer was not in the seat.

T!

Last edited:

biolink

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes thats exactly what I'm talking about. I didnt know it was still a thing. I'll check it out. Thanks for the good info.

ljh505

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Could you be referring to the Beartracker function of Uniden scanners?
The Beartracker worked (and still does) by monitoring known short range signals from police cars. I think the first Uniden with this feature was the BCT7 in the mid 90's.
BCT2 was the original model if I'm recalling correctly.

The latest relase in the lineup, the Uniden BearTracker 885, is a combo CB/scanner aimed at the long-haul trucking market. It uses an exterrnal GPS receiver to monitor your current location, loads the scanner side from a SD card georeferenced frequency database, then alerts when a signal appears on the input channels of the local law enforcement systems (repeaters, trunking systems, etc.). You unplug the SD card from the radio and update the database via computer weekly.

Last edited:

Klown

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Wonder of something like this could be integrated into Theia with it extra antenna input?

chaz517

ctpalmtrees.com
Advanced User
Reaction score
Damnit, now I literally have to buy this today haha. Looks awesome !
Post automatically merged:

Just bought it haha. $349 on ebay, can't wait to add this to the arsenal.

Last edited:

jestric

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
If you like the Uniden BearTracker 885 you would probably love the Uniden SDS200 Advanced X Base/Mobile Digital Trunking Scanner.

spinner55

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
When the county used low power UHF portables to link to their VHF system they worked fine. But here in IL - all the LEO's (around here at least) have gone to the IL StarCom21 system. A state wide - hybrid 700/800 mhz trunking system and got rid of their UHF linked portables. Plus to make matters worst - they are 100% digital encrypted now. (city / county) Last I heard the state police (ISP) is still in the open except for their undercover comms.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radar1972