GT-7 Quit in the middle of a trip

Easy Target

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This is the first time I have ever had a radar detector completely die on me.

I was driving on the highway and had a look up and see that the display is off, the lights on the smartcord are out and it is somewhat cool to the touch.

It was on a rural 2 lane so I didn't even have any blind spot monitors to remind me it was there.

I tried swapping to the regular power cord rather than my direct wire and still nothing. I plugged my redline into the same cord and all is good. Tried 2 other cords and the detector is simply dead.

Anyone else have this happen? Any idea at what I would be looking at for repair costs? Might just have to get an R3 and call it a day or splurge on the V1G2. Might have to finally let go of the Bel Brand name that has served me well since I got my license in 1993.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Those are two solid choices. I stepped from the R3 to a V1G2 and its nice!

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you're GT-7 crapped out on you like that.

I think either option will suit you well. Absolutely nothing touches the performance value of the R3 for $300 new (and often less used). It's pretty close to the V1G2 in range performance and has a little bit better reactivity on K band. I don't think the filtering is as bad as some on this forum make it out to be (and I run it in Highway mode), but there are days where I am stuck in traffic and get bombarded with falses. And if you need MRCD protection, the R3 gives you that. If you're on a budget and need top-shelf performance, the R3 is definitely the way to go.

If you are willing to spend the extra $200, the V1G2 is a great package. It gives you the arrows and noticeably better filtering, plus that little extra range performance that you may not notice 90% of the time, but you have the peace of mind. You also get the world of the apps, which are a whole different experience than a standalone detector (some are apprehensive, but many here swear by them). The kinks seem to have been worked out at this point. If I were going to spend money on another legacy detector, I would probably buy a V1G2.

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
This is the first time I have ever had a radar detector completely die on me.

I was driving on the highway and had a look up and see that the display is off, the lights on the smartcord are out and it is somewhat cool to the touch.

It was on a rural 2 lane so I didn't even have any blind spot monitors to remind me it was there.

I tried swapping to the regular power cord rather than my direct wire and still nothing. I plugged my redline into the same cord and all is good. Tried 2 other cords and the detector is simply dead.

Anyone else have this happen? Any idea at what I would be looking at for repair costs? Might just have to get an R3 and call it a day or splurge on the V1G2. Might have to finally let go of the Bel Brand name that has served me well since I got my license in 1993.

Sorry to hear about that. I think the standard repair charge by Cedar is $99 if you want a 3-month warranty, and $139 if you want the upgraded repair package that comes with a full 1-year warranty and Cedar will cover shipping if you have to send it back again.

Personally, upgrading to a R3 or V1G2 would be what I would do. I own both the R3 and V1G2, and they are both great detectors that are strong performers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy Target

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I decided to get it repaired as I can still fetch $250 CDN locally for it.
I just sold my Bel GX65 for $100 CDN and I'll put my redline up for sale as well and then decide whether to try the V1G2 or go all out and get an R360C.

Easy Target

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Had the GT-7 back from the mothership for a couple weeks now and I don't remember it being this good before I sent it back.

I can actually distinguish a Hyundai and a LEO now. I'll use this for my around town and populated area use and keep the redline for the open highway.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnanian