Discontinuing support for HW1 and some early HW2 CPU's (Approx 5+ Years Old)

thefrog1394

Cruise Control PSL+9
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Please see this link on the ALPUpdate.com website: https://alpupdate.com/News

They were only able to update old HW2's from July 2015 through Early 2016 with the last update. Please take advantage of the update offer we currently have.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Does this mean that July 2015 through Early 2016 build is a different threshold? Are these devices only getting a single additional update or will they be supported indefinitely?

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Took me a few min. to find the other Thread.....
Looks like this will be your last update if your Control Box ser. # starts w/ a "4" !
https://www.rdforum.org/threads/103304/page-2#post-1491117 Post #33

Unfortunately its not as clear as that since AntiLaser does not use consecutive serial numbers. There are HW2 units manufactured as late as 2017 with serial numbers that start with a 4.

All I know for sure is what I keep saying is that any unit manufactured before 7/2015 needs to be updated. I am also getting 30+ requests to check peoples serial numbers for their Date of Purchase.. If you purchased it before 7/2015 you definitely have a unit that needs to be replaced to continue firmware updates. I am also getting tired of being the middleman... Heck you all can go to https://www.alpriority.com/contact/ and ask AntiLaser all your questions. I have already done what I could with the upgrade program we put in effect for our customers.

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Unfortunately its not as clear as that since AntiLaser does not use consecutive serial numbers. There are HW2 units manufactured as late as 2017 with serial numbers that start with a 4.

All I know for sure is what I keep saying is that any unit manufactured before 7/2015 needs to be updated. I am also getting 30+ requests to check peoples serial numbers for their Date of Purchase.. If you purchased it before 7/2015 you definitely have a unit that needs to be replaced to continue firmware updates. I am also getting tired of being the middleman... Heck you all can go to https://www.alpriority.com/contact/ and ask AntiLaser all your questions. I have already done what I could with the upgrade program we put in effect for our customers.
:ughh:

meismyname

SysOp
SysOp
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@BestRadarDetectors I know this probably isn't said enough, but thanks for everything you do for your customers. I know you didn't have to provide an upgrade program, and could have sold new CPUs at full price as other distributers have done, but the fact that you pushed for lower pricing shows how much you care. Thanks for that.

Qui-Gon

PSL +15
Advanced User
Reaction score
All I know for sure is what I keep saying is that any unit manufactured before 7/2015 needs to be updated. I am also getting 30+ requests to check peoples serial numbers for their Date of Purchase.. If you purchased it before 7/2015 you definitely have a unit that needs to be replaced to continue firmware updates. I am also getting tired of being the middleman...

@BestRadarDetectors, I am one of those 30+, and if I have in any way made you angry I am truly sorry. Like I posted earlier on, I did find that I purchased my unit from you in April 2014, and the S/N starts with 2. Looks like I am going to have to upgrade in the near future if I want to remain current. 7 years of faithful service from my CPU - unheard of in this game. Thank you for doing all that you do for us and this community! I am and shall remain a faithful ALP customer 4 life!

oktavf

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

mr2turbo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
From the other post here is my info. I think I cleared it okay as its post July even though its a 4 series. Will have to confirm with ALP but...

"Confirmed CPU box is YOP 2015-09 serial # 47241XX. "

This is super interesting. I dont have a confirmed manufacture date for my control box, but my serial us 479XXXX. However, I haven't been the lucky one to be able to download the newest fw. Stuck on 5.5.8. :-(

Holla

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
At the end of the day guys--us with the older CPU's will have to update very soon, and no better time to do it is NOW with the incentive form BRD with his prices, you cannot lose on this deal!! Me, Im waiting to last call from BRD and purchase the new unit!!

TOM---Awesome service and support, ALP all day for life--Keep it up!!

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I got mine in the mail today, HW4. Hooked it up, loaded files, did factory reset and now good to go. Updated to 5.6.3 right away. Whole system starts and loads a lot faster than the old one. Not happy about the Canadian pricing, but, WTF can we do?

Nice to know it boots up faster. I might make a vid showing the difference between HW2 and HW4

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My 488xx.. wouldn't update, have new hw4 on the way. I am not complaining at all, the peace of mind I have had with my Alp's have been priceless. Thanks again Tom for taking care of us, you rock!

jkz

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
on my CPU box it says Hw.3 iwith Serial number 4624797 does this trade in thing apply for hw3? id like to send this one pay the difference and have the newest one, sorta like future proofing myself or will i have to trade some one that has a hw1 or hw2 then send that one in ?

Attachments

• alp cpu.jpg
    alp cpu.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 22

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
on my CPU box it says Hw.3 iwith Serial number 4624797 does this trade in thing apply for hw3? id like to send this one pay the difference and have the newest one, sorta like future proofing myself or will i have to trade some one that has a hw1 or hw2 then send that one in ?
I have zero doubt Tom will take care of you, hw3 didn't really exist but yet it did, if that makes sense. Send it in I am sureTom will treat you right!

aim4squirrels

Coming soon.....
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If I'm recalling the story correctly, hardware 3 version was a label misprint. They were actually hardware 2 designs of a specific manufacturing run of the cpu, but there were no internal differences between it and hardware version 2. As Tom had earlier indicated anyone on hardware 2 can upgrade even if they have a unit that isn't going unsupported, you should be able to take advantage of the upgrade and get up to the HW4 version.

thanks

for all the fish
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
If I'm recalling the story correctly, hardware 3 version was a label misprint. They were actually hardware 2 designs of a specific manufacturing run of the cpu, but there were no internal differences between it and hardware version 2. As Tom had earlier indicated anyone on hardware 2 can upgrade even if they have a unit that isn't going unsupported, you should be able to take advantage of the upgrade and get up to the HW4 version.
Well as we see now, there must have been some didferences between the early and later HW2’s which are able to continue with firmware updates.

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
HW3 was the switchover from early HW2 to the newer HW2. It was originally labeled HW3 on one production run before they were relabeled back to HW2. If you decide to upgrade just use the HW2 model.

jkz

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
HW3 was the switchover from early HW2 to the newer HW2. It was originally labeled HW3 on one production run before they were relabeled back to HW2. If you decide to upgrade just use the HW2 model.

Okay but the one I have will not receive updates anymore? Or is that cpu still good for the future updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thefrog1394

Cruise Control PSL+9
Intermediate User
Reaction score

1598228327196.png

So it was an explicit business decision to reverse course and "hide" the hardware changeover and mislead customers into thinking this was a misprint and nothing more. Man this really doesn't sit too well with me.

I'm not saying ALP is some horrible company. I bought my upgrade and have no regrets. They are still the best in the business and Tom goes out of the way to ensure customers are treated fairly. But I think sweeping these sort of things under the rug all in the name of supporting a company we like does everyone a disservice and gives companies in the industry a license to do whatever they want. It seems clear to me that HW3 was a large enough change that it was clear that from the get go that it was a different HW version but that was intentionally obscured due to business reasons (dealers with large stocks of HW2 that needed to be unloaded?

For the record, I'm not accusing you personally of anything @BestRadarDetectors for all I know dealers weren't given this info either. And I still support you guys etc etc. I just sincerely hope that ALP realizes that in the future they should clearly mark substantially new hardware versions and be transparent with their users.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j0hnStam0s