Discontinuing support for HW1 and some early HW2 CPU's (Approx 5+ Years Old)

jfr0317

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well, I am going to have to backtrack a little bit. After seeing @romclean's post above, I tried one more time, and this time it updated to 5.6.3. Now I have to try my other car's controller.
I was just able to update the second controller as well.

edconline

PSL++
Advanced User
Reaction score
One of my cars is good to go, the HW2 must have just made the cut. The other car is not so lucky - won't take the update. Son of a bitch. Tom, if the HW2 we have does successfully take 5.6.3, does that mean AL will continue providing support for that one for the foreseeable future?

ScorpionJ

Pro
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yes, That is correct. Only benefit at the moment is the extra NR Filtering features but it also has more memory for future capabilities.

BRD is HW4 cpu have enough memory for DE or we can wait for a new hardware cpu in near future?

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
One of my cars is good to go, the HW2 must have just made the cut. The other car is not so lucky - won't take the update. Son of a bitch. Tom, if the HW2 we have does successfully take 5.6.3, does that mean AL will continue providing support for that one for the foreseeable future?

There are 2 different versions of the HW2, Slight hardware differences but enough to cause firmware to have to be different. Right now when putting out updates engineering has to maintain firmware for HW1, HW2 (2 Versions) and HW4. Only the first version of the HW2's will have updates stopped.
Post automatically merged:

BRD is HW4 cpu have enough memory for DE or we can wait for a new hardware CPU in near future?

There is more then enough memory for several steps ahead of where we expect them to go.

edconline

PSL++
Advanced User
Reaction score
There are 2 different versions of the HW2, Slight hardware differences but enough to cause firmware to have to be different. Right now when putting out updates engineering has to maintain firmware for HW1, HW2 (2 Versions) and HW4. Only the first version of the HW2's will have updates stopped.

There is more then enough memory for several steps ahead of where we expect them to go.

That’s fine, and i get it. Honestly, all i care about is timely updates that keep us bulletproof as things evolve. We had to add sensors, the TX got added, things change.
Just wanted to check if i needed to buy 2 new HW4 units, or just one. Sounds like the one HW2 unit that updated is good to go, so I’ll replace the other one.

mr2turbo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I just downloaded the "update" again, it didn't work. I'm stuck on 5.5.8
I can't fathom paying over $300 CDN for a CPU right now. Not happening.

Looks like I am in the same boat as you. USB update did nothing, and the BT downloads and appears to be insatlling, then just stays at FW 558. :-(

BaileyAB

Whats PSL? Autobahn bro, A.U.T.O.B.A.H.N.!!!!!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Mine updated to 5.6.3 like 3mins ago.

wolfpacal

Advanced User
Reaction score
Alex should step up and try like Tom to get these replacement CPU prices down. I'm not paying $350

We were blindsided by this news. ALP should help out. Period.

Looks like I am in the same boat as you. USB update did nothing, and the BT downloads and appears to be insatlling, then just stays at FW 558. :-(
If ALP does not help out, this is total B.S. Like I said earlier, we were all blindsided by this. They should offer 50% minimum, for a replacement CPU. Anything else is pure gouging.

Mine updated to 5.6.3 like 3mins ago.
What specifically did you update? bin and config?

Last edited:

wolfpacal

Advanced User
Reaction score
So Alex just confirmed my CPU is from 2014. I just sent him an email to see if his Canadian customers can get a bit of a break from ALP, as some of us have no choice, but to upgrade. He said he was blindsided by this news too.

He confirmed his price too, will not be adjusted. $280 plus shipping plus tax.

Last edited:

Qui-Gon

PSL +15
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hey Tom,

Appreciate the heads-up. I sent you a PM last Saturday with my CPU number to try and determine my HW version. Haven’t heard back but figured you have been busy.

Just went back through alot of posts and found I purchased my ALP back on 4/9/14. I’m guessing that the CPU is HW1 then?

Last edited:

EightyFiveHundred

-/-\- v10 (00=[][]=00) ///M5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Subscribed. Thanks Tom for trying to work something out for HW4.

edconline

PSL++
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'll try holding out as long as possible. How many updates have we been averaging in the last year, or two? Not many.

Hard thing to do though not knowing when and if you’ll get IPT, assuming you’re using TX.

At the very least, AL will need to make available previous FW for TX customers who can’t or don’t want to update.

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
He confirmed his price too, will not be adjusted. $280 plus shipping plus tax.

Not bad, a replacement CPU down here is an eye-watering AUD 599 (CAD 570) - I have 2 x HW.1's :pout:

wrxsti15

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Guys with HW1 and early HW2. I think we all got long enough support with FW updates. Everyone is changing their phones every two years, upgrading or changing their laptops evey couple years. As those devices cannot support current software. And no one is complaining about that - it is just normal thing to do. ALP gave us longer support than any other company on the market with current HW and spoiled us. We should applaud them for that. I would be pissed if I bought hw2 in last two years and lose the support, but that is not the case here 5+ years is amazing! And on top of everything lucky people in the US have distributor that is fighting for them not just now, but we saw that in the past with different actions he took with exchange programs. Hat down to Tom and his customer service.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Subscribed. I plugged my HW2 serial into the website and it generated a 5.6.3 file. Does that mean I'm good to go? I haven't had a chance to get out and flash it to the CPU.

Really want to stay on HW2 as long as possible due to my everyday commute...

wirelessandy

It's a very exciting time
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Guys with HW1 and early HW2. I think we all got long enough support with FW updates. Everyone is changing their phones every two years, upgrading or changing their laptops evey couple years. As those devices cannot support current software. And no one is complaining about that - it is just normal thing to do. ALP gave us longer support than any other company on the market with current HW and spoiled us. We should applaud them for that. I would be pissed if I bought hw2 in last two years and lose the support, but that is not the case here 5+ years is amazing! And on top of everything lucky people in the US have distributor that is fighting for them not just now, but we saw that in the past with different actions he took with exchange programs. Hat down to Tom and his customer service.

I kind of had the same thought. We have been "spoiled" by the best defense gear in the industry and support.

My wife has an iPhone 5SE. The OG "SE". Any day now, that thing isn't going to get iOS updates, and I won't be surprised.

Frankly I'm just glad we get updates for ALP at ALL, and a product that works.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deags