Printable RX Mounts w/ Various Angles

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm still working on the install of my rear ALP sensors. Am printing mounts for them. I was inspired by the minimalist mounting brackets that WRXsti (I think) shared quite some time ago. I've made my own minimalist design and thought I'd share here in case anyone else might find them useful.

And then I made a bunch of variations...

Minimalist RX Mount

rxmountflatpic14.png

rxmountflatpic10.png

img_8289.jpg

The RX head simply presses into it. It's an interference fit. I think I have the tolerances pretty well dialed in, but have only tested on a pair of RX heads. Quick summary of some of the thoughts behind this particular design:
  • The front opening is slightly larger than the lens and seal - I didn't want to damage the seal, or even touch it.
  • The depth is set so that the lens is flush with the front of the mount (the bubble extends slightly out past the front). This should both prevent it from interfering with performance in any way, and allow one to simply stick a piece of painters tape over it for protection in car washes.
  • The mount only "grabs" the RX head on the sides. This leaves a small air gap around the top and bottom - maybe some small cooling benefit when testing?
  • If you orient the back side down on the printer, no support material is required when printing - there are no overhangs anywhere. This was an important consideration for me. I worked on a concept where the center opening for the cable connector wrapped around to the bottom, so you could more easily press an installed RX head back out of the mount, but decided against it because it introduced overhangs. To be useful, the design needs to be easy to print!
If this looks useful, here's the STL file for this RX mounting bracket.

Variations - Different Base Angles

Of course, on my car nothing is exactly level. Not that this makes my car unique in any way! I know there is a really awesome adjustable mount design already available. After my own experiments with a much cruder adjustable mounting bracket design that I used for my front RX heads, a fixed design at the correct angle started to seem appealing. So, I added a wedge to the base of the minimal design above, and then generated mounts with different tilt angles.

This one angles the head up / is meant for mounting under surfaces angled down (pictured mount has 5.0 degree tilt):

rxmounttiltup050.png

And this is the corresponding mounting bracket that has a 5.0 degree downward tilt:

rxmounttiltdown050.png

I generated twenty of each design, with half-degree increments from 0.5 to 10.0 degrees. Links to the individual STL files below. "Upward" and "downward" tilts assume an underhung mounting position like in the pictures.

Upward-tilted designs:

Downward-tilted designs:
Custom Tilts

One final comment - now that the master files exist, it's super easy to generate designs with really any tilt angle at all. If anyone wants a file with a custom tilt angle, just post or PM me and I can generate the design.

Last edited:

REVNURAZR

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Incredible work!

I'm sure these will be very well utilized :D
Post automatically merged:

Also might add, would it be possible to generate the tilt on the opposite axis - i.e angle up/down from front/rear of the sensor.

I'd be very interested in those - my bumper from memory has a 5 degree angle upwards from the rear of the sensor to the front

@Flonase

Last edited:

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Also might add, would it be possible to generate the tilt on the opposite axis - i.e angle up/down from front/rear of the sensor.

I'd be very interested in those - my bumper from memory has a 5 degree angle upwards from the rear of the sensor to the front

@Flonase

Not sure exactly what you mean, but anything is possible. Explain further and I'll generate a design.

Unrelated - could post what car you're installing on? Just knowing that 5 degrees is the right angle might be helpful to anyone else with the same car...
Post automatically merged:

Wait let me guess - the images of the tilted ones are distorted? The tilted designs have a wedge merged into the basic flat design. It's like I took the top and started lifting either the back edge or the front edge straight up. For the ones angled up, the front face is identical to the flat design, and the back face is taller. For the ones angled down, the back face is identical to the flat one and the front face is taller above the opening for the RX head. Is that what you're after maybe?

Last edited:

REVNURAZR

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Picture tells 1000 words ;

jammers.jpg

Can you see the left sensor is angled upwards? The bumper has 5 degrees of upwards angle.

I've tried to level it out with double sided tape as pictured..

So what I'm suggesting is the tilt from the front/rear sides of the sensor.

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So what I'm suggesting is the tilt from the front/rear sides of the sensor.

Ah so left/right tilt. Level front-to-back but varying angle side-to-side?

REVNURAZR

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ah so left/right tilt. Level front-to-back but varying angle side-to-side?

Varying angle from front to back?

So the wedge is placed on the other 2 axis of your sensor bracket to allow for "up/down" movement if the bumper shifts upwards like mine does.

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
PM sent...

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Awesome! Following this thread

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just to close out the discussion above - the renderings of the designs with a tilt are a bit distorted. I'll try to update them tomorrow. In words, the tilted mounts alter the "aim" of the RX head up or down. They do not rotate them axially around the vector that's normal to the front face.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garlandbob