Alabama increasing state troopers on highways

BhamGuy

PSL +10
Advanced User
Reaction score
Travel plans changed a bit, a little less. Yesterday was a short trip to Georgia and back via Hwy 280 and I-85 (very short distance on it).

Had three LEO encounters on the way, none on the way back. At 7 a.m., there was a black unmarked Ford mustang running Ka 34.7 in Harpersville on Hwy 280. Had a State trooper in their normal SUVs in Alexander City about 35 minutes later with no active radar but perched as if he was setting up. Final encounter was local Dadeville police running 34.7 10 minutes later.

I returned around dinner time to early evening and did not see anything on the return.

Tomorrow I will head to Jackson and back, about 500 miles from where I am. Will be I-65 to I-459 to I-20/59W and back.

Friday will be I-65 to I-459 to I-20 to Jackson and back and then I-65 to Nashville. Same trip Sunday in reverse.

Reactions: F15

BhamGuy

PSL +10
Advanced User
Reaction score
Fwiw, experienced definitely increased Alabama presence. No question about it on I-20 at least. More between Tuscaloosa and the Mississippi state line than I've ever experienced.

Now here's the kicker.

I drive a Lexus GX470 SUV. Very comfortable. Coached ball for years, son still plays college soccer, 5 kids, large family all that jazz. But when I go out of town and there's only going to be a couple of us in the car, I often get a Hertz rental. (Hope they stay in business). Wasn't the greatest deal I've ever received, but I put 1400 miles on it this weekend and the Impala got 30mpg. Basically, because my car requires (per the manual, not recommended) premium gas and gets about 18mpg on the interstate, I easily save 50% on gas. A trip like this one I saved almost $100 in gas. Total rental cost, all taxes and add-ons included, $95. So it paid me to rent, not to mention avoiding 1400 miles on my tires, wear and tear, etc.

Anyway, that's a long way of getting to this point. The stupid power outlet in it did not work so my radar detector was inoperable. I stopped at an auto parts store on the way out and got new fuses but it wasn't the fuse. Just would not work.

So I was stuck doing + 7-9 pretty much the whole way. Going that far, even for those of us who are fairly conservative, as I am, and dropping about 8ish plus miles per hour really hurts. Getting in at 10:30 at night instead of 9-9:30 makes a difference to some of us.

RadarScout

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, experienced definitely increased Alabama presence. No question about it on I-20 at least. More between Tuscaloosa and the Mississippi state line than I've ever experienced.

Now here's the kicker.

I drive a Lexus GX470 SUV. Very comfortable. Coached ball for years, son still plays college soccer, 5 kids, large family all that jazz. But when I go out of town and there's only going to be a couple of us in the car, I often get a Hertz rental. (Hope they stay in business). Wasn't the greatest deal I've ever received, but I put 1400 miles on it this weekend and the Impala got 30mpg. Basically, because my car requires (per the manual, not recommended) premium gas and gets about 18mpg on the interstate, I easily save 50% on gas. A trip like this one I saved almost $100 in gas. Total rental cost, all taxes and add-ons included, $95. So it paid me to rent, not to mention avoiding 1400 miles on my tires, wear and tear, etc.

Anyway, that's a long way of getting to this point. The stupid power outlet in it did not work so my radar detector was inoperable. I stopped at an auto parts store on the way out and got new fuses but it wasn't the fuse. Just would not work.

So I was stuck doing + 7-9 pretty much the whole way. Going that far, even for those of us who are fairly conservative, as I am, and dropping about 8ish plus miles per hour really hurts. Getting in at 10:30 at night instead of 9-9:30 makes a difference to some of us.
You should have put it on cruise control and took a nap. :pwn:

F15

No radar/lidar tickets, 25+ years
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Travel plans changed a bit, a little less. Yesterday was a short trip to Georgia and back via Hwy 280 and I-85 (very short distance on it).

Had three LEO encounters on the way, none on the way back. At 7 a.m., there was a black unmarked Ford mustang running Ka 34.7 in Harpersville on Hwy 280. Had a State trooper in their normal SUVs in Alexander City about 35 minutes later with no active radar but perched as if he was setting up. Final encounter was local Dadeville police running 34.7 10 minutes later.

I returned around dinner time to early evening and did not see anything on the return.

Tomorrow I will head to Jackson and back, about 500 miles from where I am. Will be I-65 to I-459 to I-20/59W and back.

Friday will be I-65 to I-459 to I-20 to Jackson and back and then I-65 to Nashville. Same trip Sunday in reverse.
Over the next 3 weeks I will go MEM-Birm-CHA then CHA-Montgomery-ATL followed by Greenville-Birm-MEM.
I am running my own wheels due to the IRS rule 179 with two CMs + Waze & EL.
I will be watching this thread since this is more evidence of a boost in patrol which is in contrast to a recent run through parts of OK to MO.

F15

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Those of you warning about the increased leos in AL, can you tell me what speed triggers their response on the interstates? Is it PST +10, 20, etc?

Z06fan

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Over the next 3 weeks I will go MEM-Birm-CHA then CHA-Montgomery-ATL followed by Greenville-Birm-MEM.
I am running my own wheels due to the IRS rule 179 with two CMs + Waze & EL.
I will be watching this thread since this is more evidence of a boost in patrol which is in contrast to a recent run through parts of OK to MO.
IMO, it's pretty inconsistent out there right now. I've made 4 trips in the last five weeks: CLT to Jacksonville, FL (6 hrs each way), CLT to Chattanooga, TN (6 hrs each way), CLT to Akron, OH (7+ hrs each way), and CLT to Gatlinburg, TN (4 hrs each way).

On my trip to Jacksonville, GASP activity was heavier than normal on I-95. On my trip to Chattanooga, I saw zero LEO's in NC or TN. On my trip to Akron, I saw 5 OHSP Troopers on a 30 mile stretch of I-76, but nothing on I-77 (very unusual). On my trip to Gatlinburg, I saw very limited activity from state agencies but heavy enforcement in the City of Gatlinburg.

Even the people that have done the Cannonball run recently didn't seem to report heavy LEO activity. I'll be curious to get your feedback after your trip but I didn't see any unusual or heavy enforcement on my trips. Needless to say, it may vary by state and city right now.

Last edited:

Disco47

Roll Tide
General User
Reaction score
Those of you warning about the increased leos in AL, can you tell me what speed triggers their response on the interstates? Is it PST +10, 20, etc?
On 2 lane roads 12-13mph triggers a response. All will write tickets at 15. I've never got stopped on the interstate, but I keep it to around 80mph and have never had an issue.

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@ARkaband it looks like I might be headed to Nashville from Houston possibly this Saturday. Some of this will be contingent on road conditions given the hurricane that just smacked LA and is now working on AR.

If the roads are all open and good do you any feeling as to whether going through LA, up I-59 through Meridian, MS, Tuscaloosa, and Birmingham would be better/worse than the alternate through Texarkana, Little Rock, and Memphis?

ARkaband

WDE
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have no experience with I-59 at all unfortunately but my fam back in Little Rock is saying shit is going down. Schools are getting out early, power is out, etc so you might be wise to take the southern route.

Disco47

Roll Tide
General User
Reaction score
If the roads are all open and good do you any feeling as to whether going through LA, up I-59 through Meridian, MS, Tuscaloosa, and Birmingham would be better/worse than the alternate through Texarkana, Little Rock, and Memphis?
I was in Meridian today actually. The city cops there aren't too bad. On I-59 outside of Meridian it's pretty clear until you hit a speed trap in the median near the town of Boligee, AL. It's a silver unmarked F150 that parks in the median. I assume it's a Trooper.

Around Tuscaloosa you'll encounter Troopers.... especially on the Birmingham side of town. The B-Ham suburb of Bessemer usually has speed traps on the shoulder of the road. Beyond that I'm unfamiliar.

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I was in Meridian today actually. The city cops there aren't too bad. On I-59 outside of Meridian it's pretty clear until you hit a speed trap in the median near the town of Boligee, AL. It's a silver unmarked F150 that parks in the median. I assume it's a Trooper.

Around Tuscaloosa you'll encounter Troopers.... especially on the Birmingham side of town. The B-Ham suburb of Bessemer usually has speed traps on the shoulder of the road. Beyond that I'm unfamiliar.
Thank you gentlemen. Copy the silver unmarked F150. I think I was IO'd around Boligee years ago. He didn't stop me but I have no idea why because I was ripping. I usually cruise on that section after Tuscaloosa where it opens up and makes life more difficult for the LLHs. So AR is all messed up and I-10 is closed before the LA border. Maybe a little procrastination is in order.

F15

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did NLR to Birmingham today.
In AL past Carbon Hill exit maybe 40 miles from Birmingham, I got late Waze reports about police. I look up at the overpass and see two cars with their lights on. One goes the opposite director, but the other way comes my way and picks up someone behind me. I had slowed to PSL +10, but there was no radar alert.
No radar alert in AR today and only after 78 out of Memphis becomes a real interstate did I get I/0 from behind me. More Waze reports, but no radar alerts the remainder of the drive.
One curious thing is that I paid for a feature on my car that alerts to Speed Cameras and red light cameras. In MEM, my G05 and EL were reporting the same thing. Then along the way EL reported a mobile camera that was no there. Near Birmingham, my car warned two different times about speed camera, but EL said nothing and there was no radar alert.
Another strange part of today was Waze alerts about ‘hazards’ and seeing several cars left on the right side of the road.
I also have a question. I drove past several construction areas from MEM to Birmingham that were wide open. Will they resume construction on major parts of Birmingham to MEM in two weeks.

ARkaband

WDE
Advanced User
Reaction score
I did Auburn to Little Rock yesterday and it was radio silence. Not a single hit or even a single trooper on a traffic stop. Weird, especially for a holiday weekend. Heading back on Monday and will report back

FastStevie

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Outer Podunk Mississippi (Gulfport Suburbs)
I did Auburn to Little Rock yesterday and it was radio silence. Not a single hit or even a single trooper on a traffic stop. Weird, especially for a holiday weekend. Heading back on Monday and will report back
I vote for trooper traffic on Monday....... that is the primary drive back day whereas the other drive "to" are spread out over multiple days.

Be situationally aware.

F15

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Today running MEM on to Birmingham on 78/22, I came upon three bad accidents and the first one had several MO state police and there were additional police at the other two wrecks.

F15

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did the short run from south of Birmingham to north of CHA.
I had 2 I/0s before getting to Gasden. The detectors went off well before any Waze audio
Close to Fort Payne, my R360c started hinting what turned out to be at least 2 miles Up and down two hills before running into C/O on the other side with an accident. His C/O 35.655 was front and back.
The little strip of GA had an active state trooper who had a customer on my side as I passed him. He was marked on Waze moving around and my detectors went off well in advance.
We will see what it is like when I go to Montgomery later in the week, but I am so glad that I routed through Birmingham rather than Nashville starting out in OKC. I had light traffic today until we merged with I-24 then it was thick and slow.

F15

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Drove from north east of CHA down to Montgomery - 59 then 65 - and encountered no threats today.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fc1kitchen