Alabama increasing state troopers on highways

BhamGuy

PSL +10
Advanced User
Reaction score
In the name of safety!

Any bets on there being an internal document that discusses the return on investment here?

@GovernorKayIvey: This $800,000 grant, made available by @NHTSAgov, will make it possible to increase the presence of state troopers on Alabama’s highways and improve highway safety for our drivers. @ALEAprotects #alpolitics

moneychanger

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
In the name of safety!

Any bets on there being an internal document that discusses the return on investment here?

@GovernorKayIvey: This $800,000 grant, made available by @NHTSAgov, will make it possible to increase the presence of state troopers on Alabama’s highways and improve highway safety for our drivers. @ALEAprotects #alpolitics
Thanks for the heads up. I missed seeing that story. I wonder at the end of the day what it means as far as an increased trooper presence on the highways/interstates? Alabama is not a heavily patrolled state. But of course, it only takes one!

F15

No radar/lidar tickets, 25+ years
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bad news. I plan to go through there in less than another month so maybe I need to look at another route.

GTO_04

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bad news. I plan to go through there in less than another month so maybe I need to look at another route.
If you are on your way to FL, I cant imagine AL being any worse than GA!

GTO_04

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Excellent! A bunch of extra troopers to arrest the peaceful protesters who are blocking expressways, looting homes and businesses, and burning places down!

Oh wait, this is the federally funded nonsense. So no, these guys will not be protecting, serving, or stopping the guys doing the home invasion at your mom's house. No, they'll be strictly writing speeding and seatbelt tickets.

F15

No radar/lidar tickets, 25+ years
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you are on your way to FL, I cant imagine AL being any worse than GA!

GTO_04
I will go through 6 or 7 states and on the front end I can route through Birmingham or Nashville.

RadarScout

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
In the name of safety!

While this is cause to be more alert and listen to what your CMs are alerting to, I don't think we have to worry about a trooper being behind every tree. Our state has been so short on troopers for so long, any additional ones would have to be massive for us to really see the change. Still, more is more. Worth being more situationally aware.

BhamGuy

PSL +10
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'll be giving it a really good workout next week. Trips to Huntsville, to Georgia, to Mississippi, back to Birmingham, all in the first part of the week. Then trips back to Mississippi, back to Birmingham, up to Nashville, then back from Nashville (to Mississippi first) then to Birmingham.

Product of having two kids in two different out-of-state colleges, and a third kid getting married out of state, all in the same week. And traveling together. Some major mileage being absorbed next week.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bad news. They are going to be stopping cars non-stop

ARkaband

WDE
Advanced User
Reaction score
I just drove about 4 hours through Alabama, entering from the west on I-22, taking I-65 through Montgomery, then I-85 into Auburn. The troopers were out in force, but I never actually took a direct hit. Lots of them were already on traffic stops. This was the most enforcement I’ve ever seen in Alabama (usually it’s lightly patrolled).

FastStevie

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Outer Podunk Mississippi (Gulfport Suburbs)
I'll be giving it a really good workout next week. Trips to Huntsville, to Georgia, to Mississippi, back to Birmingham, all in the first part of the week. Then trips back to Mississippi, back to Birmingham, up to Nashville, then back from Nashville (to Mississippi first) then to Birmingham.
You realize Mississippi really needs the revenue these days? And every city wants their slice. Which is why the local PD will be patrolling the highways and interstates, all in the interest of protecting the public.

RoadDogg

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
On a positive note, the increased traffic enforcement may allow those CM enthusiasts on the RDF who live or travel through Alabama more radar encounters to test out your detectors. I am personally OK with increased traffic enforcement (as long as I am not getting a ticket...lol). I like getting good radar encounters to verify my detectors are working properly, but I don't like getting hit with I/O at night or if I am the only one on the roadway.

I took a long trip a week or two ago through Tennessee and North Carolina, and the Troopers were not out. I was sort of disappointed as I was wanting to put my V1G2 to the test as shortly after I bought it, my interstate and highway travel decreased significantly due to Covid-19 and changes at work. I did get two great radar encounters on the way, one with a TN Trooper and one with a NC Trooper, and I did not get not one radar encounter on the way back with either a TN or NC State Trooper, but I also was ticket free for the trip, so that is good.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score

BhamGuy

PSL +10
Advanced User
Reaction score
You realize Mississippi really needs the revenue these days? And every city wants their slice. Which is why the local PD will be patrolling the highways and interstates, all in the interest of protecting the public.
Yup. I know per capita, they're one of most heavily patrolled. (And Alabama, fortunately, on the low end).

I'll be heading there Wednesday to Jackson and back (to Birmingham), Friday to Jackson and back, and Sunday to Jackson and back. Will almost all be on I-20, but I expect to see "safety" patrols for sure.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabby