Uniden R1 / R3 False Laser Alerts "Fix"!

Stealthy1

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've searched the forums for a fix for the notorious and unacceptable false laser alerts on the Uniden R1/R3 and had no luck. I know many will say that RD's are no good for laser alerts anyway so who cares. I'm not here to try and convince ppl otherwise, even though my old Bel has saved me countless times from laser on the highway. I don't know, maybe my reaction time is better than most or the cops around here have real shaky hands. Either way, my old Bel used to save me about 50% of the time from laser on the highway, but since i got the R1 it's been nothing but false alerts, even with the firmware upgrade! Needless to say, super disappointing for a high end RD. We paid for the damned feature so it's unacceptable that it does nothing but annoy. Ok, sorry for the rant and onto the "fix". There is a sensor on the top of the unit intended for rear laser detection. It is a clear plastic "eye" with a light lead which feeds into the internal laser sensor. I simply opened up the unit, broke off the clear plastic light lead and taped over the opening in the metal laser sensor casing. This may void your warranty but i didn't care as mine's off warranty by now anyway. Went on a 1,000 km (600 mile) road trip and had only 1 false laser alert. Before it would false every few minutes. I didn't change anything else about my setup. Obviously rear laser detection is eliminated but it's a much better compromise than to turn laser detection off entirely. Hope this helps some. Cheers!

aim4squirrels

Coming soon.....
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If it works, that's all that matters. Good on you for finding a solution to your problem.

The WiZard

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've searched the forums for a fix for the notorious and unacceptable false laser alerts on the Uniden R1/R3 and had no luck. I know many will say that RD's are no good for laser alerts anyway so who cares. I'm not here to try and convince ppl otherwise, even though my old Bel has saved me countless times from laser on the highway. I don't know, maybe my reaction time is better than most or the cops around here have real shaky hands. Either way, my old Bel used to save me about 50% of the time from laser on the highway, but since i got the R1 it's been nothing but false alerts, even with the firmware upgrade! Needless to say, super disappointing for a high end RD. We paid for the damned feature so it's unacceptable that it does nothing but annoy. Ok, sorry for the rant and onto the "fix". There is a sensor on the top of the unit intended for rear laser detection. It is a clear plastic "eye" with a light lead which feeds into the internal laser sensor. I simply opened up the unit, broke off the clear plastic light lead and taped over the opening in the metal laser sensor casing. This may void your warranty but i didn't care as mine's off warranty by now anyway. Went on a 1,000 km (600 mile) road trip and had only 1 false laser alert. Before it would false every few minutes. I didn't change anything else about my setup. Obviously rear laser detection is eliminated but it's a much better compromise than to turn laser detection off entirely. Hope this helps some. Cheers!
Your vehicle and phone may have been the biggest contributors to the falsing. I know my iPhone 6 and 11 would make my R3 false laser like crazy. It also falsed to everything under the sun, yet refused to actually alert to real threats. Crazy. My solution was V1G2. Also, while I do find the laser alerts useful to let me know I am being targeted, that is all I am looking for from the laser detection in a radar detector.

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Your vehicle and phone may have been the biggest contributors to the falsing. I know my iPhone 6 and 11 would make my R3 false laser like crazy. It also falsed to everything under the sun, yet refused to actually alert to real threats. Crazy. My solution was V1G2. Also, while I do find the laser alerts useful to let me know I am being targeted, that is all I am looking for from the laser detection in a radar detector.
I second the phone issue. When I had a R3, my phone was mounted directly below the detector. I too was getting false laser alerts. I moved my phone and the falsing stopped. Not saying yours was the same issue, but several people were experiencing the same thing and moving the phones seemed to be the nearly unanimous solution.

mrdead72

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Why not just turn the laser off ? Im so confused on why u would block it over just turning it off ?

The WiZard

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Why not just turn the laser off ? Im so confused on why u would block it over just turning it off ?
OP wanted laser detection without the falsing. Turning laser detection off was not a solution to that problem. Removing the rear light tube was a solution to that problem.

Stealthy1

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

I second the phone issue. When I had a R3, my phone was mounted directly below the detector. I too was getting false laser alerts. I moved my phone and the falsing stopped. Not saying yours was the same issue, but several people were experiencing the same thing and moving the phones seemed to be the nearly unanimous solution.

Agree that my phone (Galaxy S8) may have been contributing to the falsing but like I mentioned, I didn't change anything else about my setup, including my phone mounting location. It's still mounted directly below the detector and the falsing stopped. I will also note that before my "fix" i did try relocating the phone, even tried with no phone in the car and it still falsed all the time.

RGU

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I just experienced something similar with R3 and FW 1.53.

Last weekend I was driving west from Buffalo on I-90 to Erie then down I-79 to Pittsburgh. As soon as I crossed into Pennsylvania my R3 stated getting laser falses. One time I looked in the other lane and I saw a PSP Grey Explorer and assumed that was the cause but I’d get one of these laser falses every 5-6 minutes. Thinking it might have come from somewhere behind me I stopped for a coffee takeout. I should also add that traffic was very light. After coffee I headed south on I-79 to Pittsburgh. Same thing every 5-6 minutes. This really got annoying and I should have stopped and shut off laser option but I wanted to discover the source but I saw nothing. Later that night while driving along the PA Turnpike to my hotel (totally different road) and I got the same thing. As soon as I got up the next morning laser got turned off and the quiet cabin made me really happy.

Anyone ever heard of this condition?

Think the R3 has a problem like the one above?

I’ve traveled this same route 2 other times in the summer and never saw it happen before. Weather was not hot and the R3 is mounted on a Blendmount and the detector never seems affected by heat or cold.

I have two cars and one of them will have Theia when available. Maybe the R3 should be the one that goes but before this episode the 2nd car’s ProM looked like it was going to be the one replaced.

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
OP wanted laser detection without the falsing. Turning laser detection off was not a solution to that problem. Removing the rear light tube was a solution to that problem.
Why not just cover the light pipe sensor rather than open the RD up and physically break off the part?
Post automatically merged:

I just experienced something similar with R3 and FW 1.53.

Last weekend I was driving west from Buffalo on I-90 to Erie then down I-79 to Pittsburgh. As soon as I crossed into Pennsylvania my R3 stated getting laser falses. One time I looked in the other lane and I saw a PSP Grey Explorer and assumed that was the cause but I’d get one of these laser falses every 5-6 minutes. Thinking it might have come from somewhere behind me I stopped for a coffee takeout. I should also add that traffic was very light. After coffee I headed south on I-79 to Pittsburgh. Same thing every 5-6 minutes. This really got annoying and I should have stopped and shut off laser option but I wanted to discover the source but I saw nothing. Later that night while driving along the PA Turnpike to my hotel (totally different road) and I got the same thing. As soon as I got up the next morning laser got turned off and the quiet cabin made me really happy.

Anyone ever heard of this condition?

Think the R3 has a problem like the one above?

I’ve traveled this same route 2 other times in the summer and never saw it happen before. Weather was not hot and the R3 is mounted on a Blendmount and the detector never seems affected by heat or cold.

I have two cars and one of them will have Theia when available. Maybe the R3 should be the one that goes but before this episode the 2nd car’s ProM looked like it was going to be the one replaced.

This is definitely not typical in so far as not finding a source creating the falses. If it’s not a phone, the sun or your own car and it starts to happen more often I would send it in for repair.
Post automatically merged:

I would have recommended that you send it in for repair. This is not at all that common that I would have skipped that step. I would also be concerned about other issues that might be present and less noticeable if this was a symptom of something else. Not sure Uniden would repair it now though.

Last edited:

RGU

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Since the phone (Google Pixel 3) was running when I was in NY I never thought about turning it off. Driving through NY going home on the return trip, KA and K band were working appropriately.

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
AKA "light pipe." It is a piece of plastic that routes the optical signals down to the PC board where the sensor is mounted. Normally there is quite a bit of optical signal loss as implemented on RDs. The front sensors normally use some kind of lens instead of a light pipe. IME the only RD that had a useful rear laser sensor was (and is) the V1, but they do not use a light pipe. If you have a strong IR emitter in your car, that must be overcoming the signal loss due to the light pipe, resulting in the false alarms.

Sometimes the driver information screen in the middle of the dash will emit light at wavelengths that will trigger a laser alert.
I have had that happen with my G8 GT.

GTO_04

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyRCode