ALP Remote Screen?

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that ALP was looking into a screen interface. Is this really in the works?

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
It was underdevelopment for over a year and in final testing it was scrapped and they went back to the drawing board. It went as far as FCC Approval but in testing it did not have the Quality of an AL Product that would be expected by everyone.

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Understood. That’s a real bummer. It’s one of those things I’ve been holding out for. I hope it’s still in the works with some enthusiasm.
Thanks for the reply.

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Understood. That’s a real bummer. It’s one of those things I’ve been holding out for. I hope it’s still in the works with some enthusiasm.
Thanks for the reply.
It started with just a display in mind and then grew and grew until it was basically its own small touch screen computer that would have cost too much money for end users. Other options are being worked on but nothing I can discuss and nothing final. There are always things being worked on but many times they don't reach the finish line for various reasons.

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It started with just a display in mind and then grew and grew until it was basically its own small touch screen computer that would have cost too much money for end users.
Well that’s sounds exciting. But I get it. That can easily happen with something like that.

There are always things being worked on but many times they don't reach the finish line for various reasons
Well that’s how the best ideas rise to the top. Glad to know ideas are still being explored. The UI is one of my top wish list items.

dataNerd

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Maybe a naive question, but why not focus the effort on making the app UI/functionality better which would then negate the need for a separate UI/device?

dataNerd

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Would be nice to see a deeper integration with Waze in the existing map on mobile, but as far as I can tell that is a limitation of the Waze APIs.

wirelessandy

It's a very exciting time
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd just want something to show direction: Front or rear detection. Just two LEDs. Yes, the single LED can show direction with color, but just a wish list.

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
In a similar way this why I hope for a screen option. Things like direction, scatter vs targeted, mode and gun type are all information that I prefer to see at a glance. I like my audio alerts really simple most of the time and always when I have others in the car. Having the option for both creates great flexibility.

mrdead72

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yepp id love just a screen and a mute and receive only button , that would be all i needed !!

thefrog1394

Cruise Control PSL+9
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Or how about just an open api to allow it to interface with JBV1 or allow for custom apps to be developed? Integration into the RDF V1 controller would be cool too.

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Or how about just an open api to allow it to interface with JBV1 or allow for custom apps to be developed? Integration into the RDF V1 controller would be cool too.
Its very easy for anyone to dismantle the ALP Connect App and make their own if they really wanted to.

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yepp id love just a screen and a mute and receive only button , that would be all i needed !!
Agreed. The buttons would move to the screen so this would replace the current keypad.
Post automatically merged:

I would love to see this too. JBV1, Highway Radar (at least these would be good for those with an android phone), etc. But it doesn’t replace the screen interface idea for those who don’t like using a phone.

Last edited:

Bloovy One

135,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Question to ponder:
What are the differences between a phone and a removable dedicated touch screen device with it's own battery?

Sometimes it seems that the "I don't want to use a phone" person might not realize how seamless it can be. And, the phone can still do all of its normal phone things.

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
You're referring to decompiling the app? What about throwing it up on GitHub and open source it?
AL will not release the source code but I have modified my app on my own playing around with it and its not really that difficult if someone wanted to do it.

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
AL will not release the source code but I have modified my app on my own playing around with it and its not really that difficult if someone wanted to do it.
Your assume you're talking more about individuals making their own mods to the app as opposed to someone completely redoing it and releasing it to the masses? I suspect that AL might take issue with that otherwise there are surely some smart members here who could whip something up.

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Your assume you're talking more about individuals making their own mods to the app as opposed to someone completely redoing it and releasing it to the masses? I suspect that AL might take issue with that otherwise there are surely some smart members here who could whip something up.
AL would not care but they are not interested in helping someone re-engineer it and build an app that could possible violate some patents so they want nothing to do with it.

dataNerd

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
If someone did decompile the .apk and then open sourced it for group collaboration I imagine they might take issue with that. That's too bad...but understandable I suppose.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firecrafter