What's up! New member from Atlanta ;)

ThatRedCivic

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
New member here from Atlanta, Georgia!

Glad to have come across this forum and community. Looking forward to learning more about outsmarting 'the law' on the roads.

Currently have a Uniden R7 and I'm looking into purchasing the TMG system. Spoke to someone from TMG, and I'm THIS close to purchasing a jammer from them. but I did have a few questions.

1) I drive on the highways several times a week for an hour or so. In the last year I've been hit with laser ZERO times, at least from what I know. I have seen an officer using a gun maybe three times in the last year. So my first question is, is it even worth it to purchase a system if the likelihood of encoutering laser is slim to none?

2) Second question, instant on KA band is obviously different from laser, which laser jammers can't protect you from. This also has me thinking, is it worth it to buy a jammer system?

3) Last question, I drive a 2014 Civic Si. I was wondering if any members here have the same car? If not, where could I mount 2 normal heads and a VPR head (3 heads total) on the front of such a compact car without slicing up my bumper and cutting holes everywhere.

Thanks!
Post automatically merged:

Here's an easier view of the front if anyone wants to give suggestions on where to add the heads. Thanks!
civic front.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome!

1) I would also consider peace of mind. I feel much more comfortable knowing I am covered. You will get hit, there is plenty of laser where you live.

2) Same as above

3) That is tight. I would go upper corners of grill and VPR below emblem.

I am sure others will offer some thoughts!

wayne77

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to RDF!

As for the jammers, in Atlanta, yes without question. I'm surprised you haven't been tagged already tbh. One ticket will pay for your jammers. Obviously it's a personal decision but I'd pony up for them living in Atlanta.

Phantom Z3

The new kid on the block...
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome! Quite a few users here from Atlanta including myself. @ARkaband has a similar civic with ALPs and he could help you. He's also in Georgia so that's a plus!

It's hard to know if you've been hit with laser or not without dedicated sensor heads. The Unidens are notorious for not picking laser up. I have an R3 so we're in the same boat.

If you drive through Gwinnett county frequently (Doraville on 285 and from 285 to 985 on 85) especially on city streets, you'll want ALP for the chance you bump into a Dragoneye gun there that TMG doesn't have an algorithm to. We have a few users on here from Canada who got pinched for this reason.

I've seen alot of laser in Atlanta. My first ticket was a Dragoneye ticket in Doraville on 285, second one was a Dragoneye ticket in Snellville. My friend got pinched two days ago in Roswell with an XLR on 400. You'll mostly see laser when there is less traffic but I've seen Doraville shoot me around 10am with a Laser Atlanta gun. GSP likes to shoot on 75 towards Chattanooga.

It's best to base your decision on what's best for you and where you live. Loads of information on here with many different great people with experiences and stories to tell.

Bocephus

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome and buckle up!

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome!

1) I would also consider peace of mind. I feel much more comfortable knowing I am covered. You will get hit, there is plenty of laser where you live.

2) Same as above

YUP ATLantanhere too.

Get @Jag42 to show you the best mount positions

Be ESPECIALLY careful around suwanee and I-85
and pleasant hill to Jimmy Carter I-85 areas.

Remember RD and CM's are NOT Cop Detectors
🤔🤔🤔🤔😮😮😮😮😲😲😲😲😱😱😱😱

Vascar , I/O , Pacing , etc are STILL in your future.

Benzr

Welcome and +1 on needing jammers in ATL. I just moved down from ATL and was hit by laser regularly. 285 and 400 always have cops running laser.
PL3 and PL4's usually.
Occasionally Lazer Atlanta
STALKERS Lazer are becoming more popular now in ATL, GA, and FL.

Benzr

Last edited:

milkman

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

ThatRedCivic

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Welcome!

2) Same as above

Thanks!

Welcome! Quite a few users here from Atlanta including myself. @ARkaband has a similar civic with ALPs and he could help you. He's also in Georgia so that's a plus!

It's hard to know if you've been hit with laser or not without dedicated sensor heads. The Unidens are notorious for not picking laser up. I have an R3 so we're in the same boat.

If you drive through Gwinnett county frequently (Doraville on 285 and from 285 to 985 on 85) especially on city streets, you'll want ALP for the chance you bump into a Dragoneye gun there that TMG doesn't have an algorithm to. We have a few users on here from Canada who got pinched for this reason.

I've seen alot of laser in Atlanta. My first ticket was a Dragoneye ticket in Doraville on 285, second one was a Dragoneye ticket in Snellville. My friend got pinched two days ago in Roswell with an XLR on 400. You'll mostly see laser when there is less traffic but I've seen Doraville shoot me around 10am with a Laser Atlanta gun. GSP likes to shoot on 75 towards Chattanooga.

It's best to base your decision on what's best for you and where you live. Loads of information on here with many different great people with experiences and stories to tell.
I appreciate the detailed feedback! I've seen video of the TMG working well against dragoneye, but I guess there are several different types huh?

Welcome and +1 on needing jammers in ATL. I just moved down from ATL and was hit by laser regularly. 285 and 400 always have cops running laser.
Which jammers do you run?

Last edited:

Phantom Z3

Advanced User
Reaction score
I appreciate the detailed feedback! I've seen video of the TMG working well against dragoneye, but I guess there are several different types huh?
There are many firmware versions of all guns. Dragoneye is the most cumbersome when it comes to each update. Alot of things about Dragoneye is sensitive information, but there are reputable users on here who have been able to eat through a TMG setup on a car thought to be protected from Dragoneye.

TMG is by no means a bad jammer and I used to own a set. I used to live in Cobb county where all I saw was LTI Ultralights and Prolaser 3 and I'd keep I'm mind that I am still at risk in certain areas as mentioned above and would sharpen my senses and take more precautions. There are a few other counties in Georgia that have Dragoneye but I can't name them since I don't travel there much. But now I'm in Gwinnett where I see Dragoneye on the main road where I live. Getting shot really close is especially hard on jammers and I couldn't get better than 300 feet on my rear without putting the heads in my taillights. So I decided to switch when I had to replace a dead CPU (the original first generation heads were known to do this, no longer an issue).

ThatRedCivic

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
There are many firmware versions of all guns. Dragoneye is the most cumbersome when it comes to each update. Alot of things about Dragoneye is sensitive information, but there are reputable users on here who have been able to eat through a TMG setup on a car thought to be protected from Dragoneye.

TMG is by no means a bad jammer and I used to own a set. I used to live in Cobb county where all I saw was LTI Ultralights and Prolaser 3 and I'd keep I'm mind that I am still at risk in certain areas as mentioned above and would sharpen my senses and take more precautions. There are a few other counties in Georgia that have Dragoneye but I can't name them since I don't travel there much. But now I'm in Gwinnett where I see Dragoneye on the main road where I live. Getting shot really close is especially hard on jammers and I couldn't get better than 300 feet on my rear without putting the heads in my taillights. So I decided to switch when I had to replace a dead CPU (the original first generation heads were known to do this, no longer an issue).
Ahhh okay. Thanks for that info. I live in Fulton but drive all over. I see theres a VPR head now available, which is supposed to help the TMG heads, so I've been doing research on it. If I can get a nice used ALP set, I'll jump on it in a heart beat.

Phantom Z3

Advanced User
Reaction score
Ahhh okay. Thanks for that info. I live in Fulton but drive all over. I see theres a VPR head now available, which is supposed to help the TMG heads, so I've been doing research on it. If I can get a nice used ALP set, I'll jump on it in a heart beat.
Yea, I did the same tbh. With TMG, the hardware isn't as big of an issue as the firmware. If you've never seen a gun before, you can't jam it. That's the problem. And with how hard it is to aquire the newest gun that is actually used by law enforcement, it's been tough for TMG to get all the guns it needs to jam everything under the sun. So the VPR head has helped the guns TMG already has support for but it still cant jam what they don't have.

dataNerd

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks!

Which jammers do you run?
ALP - 3 heads in the front. 2 RX and 1 TX. I skipped the rear for now because Florida isn't known for shooting from overpasses like GA.

ThatRedCivic

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
ALP - 3 heads in the front. 2 RX and 1 TX. I skipped the rear for now because Florida isn't known for shooting from overpasses like GA.
Damn, sounds like imma need rears as well.

Okay ya'll, so I decided to go with the TMG system. ALP is out of my budget right now, and I rather have some protection than nothing, especially cuz I like to drive quickly on my commutes ;)

I purchased the dual head + VPR head system and someone above recommended I mount them like in the pic below (VPR head in yellow). What ya'll think?

placement.jpeg

Last edited:

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Damn, sounds like imma need rears as well.

Okay ya'll, so I decided to go with the TMG system. ALP is out of my budget right now, and I rather have some protection than nothing, especially cuz I like to drive quickly on my commutes ;)

I purchased the dual head + VPR head system and someone above recommended I mount them like in the pic below (VPR head in yellow). What ya'll think?

View attachment 156532
Looks good to me! You could also post up in the TMG section, it may get missed here in Introductions.

Or would this setup be better? (VPR in Yellow)
I would say no, too low.

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
You are driving in a DET-heavy area where TMG will not protect you. If you don't have the budget for ALP, then you don't have the budget for the speeding tickets and subsequent insurance hikes. I'd slow down were I you.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angelo234