False alarm on K and some weirdness on Ka

coss370

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Couple of questions on the V1G2. On false alert K signals, would the V1G2 learn about it and completely ignore it instead of just muting it? I am guessing the only thing we can do is use an aftermarket app or a firmware update?

Second question, last week I had this weird situation where I had a weak Ka signal for basically 6 miles before I saw the officer. Can the V1G2 really pick up signal from that far ahead? The weak signal didn't become strong until very end, but it definitely beep so often that I started ignoring it after a while. What do you guys think?

True2020Vision

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes, check your firmware. If it ends in 18, then update to 19. There was some K-band weirdness corrections. Video always helps if you can swing it.

And yes, I got a Ka alert from 7.2 miles according to google maps. LOL, that's almost too far, isn't it?
Post automatically merged:

How much K-band filtering are you using? A, L, or "l" mode? Is K-verifier on?
Post automatically merged:

The V1C app is fairly simple and much easier to change detailed settings. But for functionality and extra features JBV1 is the bomb. If you decide to check that out, watch Vortex's youtube videos first, there is a learning curve.

Last edited:

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Couple of questions on the V1G2. On false alert K signals, would the V1G2 learn about it and completely ignore it instead of just muting it? I am guessing the only thing we can do is use an aftermarket app or a firmware update?
Depending on the mode you are using; the Gen2 will mute X and K-band signals to varying degrees based on measurements of the signal. A mode doesn't filter them, lower L filters them but beeps at a lower volume, and large L mode filters them so that you aren't aware of them until they reach a certain set of criteria.

The concept of learning a K false is probably not correct. Are you asking if it will learn lockout locations? For that kind of behavior an aftermarket app is used. If you have the Gen2 set so that you hear the muted volume alerts, all GPS lockouts or SAVVY muting will be at that volume level too.

Second question, last week I had this weird situation where I had a weak Ka signal for basically 6 miles before I saw the officer. Can the V1G2 really pick up signal from that far ahead? The weak signal didn't become strong until very end, but it definitely beep so often that I started ignoring it after a while. What do you guys think?

Yes. Depending on terrain, the height of your detector, the height of the LEOs gun, and lack of vegetation, that's possible.
But, is it also possible that you were following a moving LEO and he stopped at some point? Based on the way you've described the signal, that might be more likely. :)

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I got 5 km's (3 miles) on Ka I/O in a less than optimum situation, I would imagine that 6 miles is entirely doable.

coss370

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I use lower l because I use V1 driver. Today I also experienced another Ka hit on a cop coming toward me with his gun blazing on the highway. It seems to be a pattern that the CA state police uses Ka, I haven't seen them with K yet in the Bay Area.

Going back to the original Ka I experienced, I am pretty sure the V1 was picking up the state police that I saw. Now that I check the map, it was closer to 10 miles via light moderate traffic on flat ground. I remember the Ka beep was at 1 bar for miles and it was a consistent beep. It didn't beep harder until I was about .5 to 1 mile away from him. I sort of ignored that beep but I had decided to slow it down anyway as traffic was going slower. When I passed the state police sitting on the side of the road, I was doing 70 in a 65 zone. The more I think about it, the more impressed I am with it. Now I just have to get the hardwiring finished in the car.

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes this is normal. You will get a 1 bar alert, and it will stay there until you get right up on the radar source, and then the bars will go up fairly quickly.

True2020Vision

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Youtube: "Valentine One Vs. CHP Speedtrap Baker, Ca"

That Ka Constant-On (C/O) encounter was 9+ miles. Even for the "experts", that like to brag about how long and how far they've driven with the V1, that's hard to believe until they see it with their own eyes.

The guy that posted that video had an "expert" tell him, that while the new V2 had 10 mile range, the old V1 was only capable of 3 miles. So much for the "experts".

Proof that if you have a V1, especially in places like CA, you don't really gain anything by trading your V1 for the new V2.

I call it "KaLIDARfornia". It's very rare to see legit K-band hits. There are sporadic reports (search this forum) of K-band used in Sunnyvale (Bay Area), or random sheriff depts. So I leave K & X-band on, because detection is better than trying to tell some pig-headed swine that the "experts" said there is no K-band in CA, LOL.

Never the less, Ka generates so much revenue, even the Rangers in Yosemite use it. But beware, if you're alone or leading the pack, you will get nailed with Instant-On (I/O), because there is no warning. Which is usually not a problem in CA either, because there is almost always someone wanting to pass. If they're a tail-gater and a Revenuer is running C/O, you can use the V1's steady ramp-up to gage the approximate threat location, and bait that tail-gater into passing you right into the kill-zone. More than just fun; sometimes you have to feed the beast, so they don't start using I/O.

Open country or not, Lidar is a serious threat in CA. V1/V2 claims to be the best, but no RD is very effective against Lidar. That's a whole other topic, you'll have to do the math. I don't recommend using jammers because they're illegal, just like speeding.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnanian