Question on multiple bogey indicators on V1 Gen2

mreservices

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I’ve been using my V1 Gen2 for about 3 weeks now. I am using with JBV1 app. I received mine with the newest firmware already pre-installed. Every single K a hit that I get and is a real police officer, comes up as multiple bogeys. And when I say multiple I mean anywhere from 10 to 20. I’m watching videos on YouTube from “Videos from NH” and I don’t see any of them ever showing more than 1 to 4 bogeys. Am I missing something? Do I have something set up incorrectly on the app? I have the unit hardwired and mounted to the windshield. Because of the slope of my windshield and where I need to place it, the front of the radar detector is just touching the windshield. Not sure if that was an issue or not. I would appreciate anyone’s thoughts on the issue. Sorry I do not have a camera set up so I cannot provide that.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
And when I say multiple I mean anywhere from 10 to 20. I’
There is an outstanding firmware issue where strong Ka signals ghost and produce multiple weaker alerts, but what you're seeing is atypical and excessive. I'd give VR support a call and have them look at it.

Edit: I take that back, maybe it's not so atypical. It looks like there was a similar report here: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/102721/

Last edited:

LaughingCrow

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I also received my V1G2 with the latest firmware installed and have the same issue with K-band multiple bogeys. I expect multiples from door openers since there are often four doors being controlled and often simultaneously. However, getting 9 or 10 from the local sheriff deputy on a country road is crazy.

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
VR is aware of these issues on K and Ka bands. Please be patient for the fix.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
How much time elapses during a Ka hit?
What frequencies are you picking up during these hits?
That information can be found in the Alert Log of JBV1.

Also, what kind of area are you driving in at the time and what vehicle are you in?

There's been some headway made on this and some of your answers can help us and help Valentine as well when you talk to them. :)

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@mreservices, IF your situation is what it sounds like; The idea behind this potential issue is that the Gen2 is not reducing sensitivity so when you get a strong signal that might burn through the filtering, there's actually some other stuff that shows as well.

What actually shows is what we hope to find out from what your answers are.

A couple of months ago I encountered two sets of what we call Suspiciously High Bogey Counts (SHBC) one morning on a mountain highway that was mostly empty.

As I entered a patch of heavy fog, my Gen2 started alerting to frequencies around 34.300+/- to the rear and it was filling up my screen in JBV1 all at once. I power cycled my Gen2 and it continued. A few minutes later it happened again as I drove through another patch of fog in the mountains. Once I was out of the fog it stopped entirely and acted normal.

In that ^^^ case, we believe that I was picking up my car's Satellite radio trying to maintain a connection. (Cell phones and Sat radios will increase their power in poor reception areas)

For you, you could be getting a valid alert at 34.700 and along with that the Gen2 shows you some 34.300 signals as well. That can be avoided with Custom Frequencies and it's very easy to set up. :)

Rocky Road

Traveling Past Slow Pokes One Car At A Time
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So basically no one knows what the issue is really? What has VR said about it, and not what people think? I'm not the only one asking this.

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
So basically no one knows what the issue is really? What has VR said about it, and not what people think? I'm not the only one asking this.
If you do a search query of “ghosting” in the V1 sections, there are lots of discussion - here is one I dug up

BagNDrag

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hi Rocky,

I spoke with Mike Valentine this past week and they are aware of the ghosting issue. They are working to resolve it and will release the fix in an upcoming update.

-Mark

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
My answer was not speculation @Rocky Road. It was an elaboration of one known behavior. ;)
It's not entirely clear if the OPs description matches yet.

True2020Vision

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Damn, every K alert is legit. Can't imagine. Every K here is false. But those counts are Crazy. When those waves start bouncing around, maybe there is some modulation, idk.

mreservices

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
There is an outstanding firmware issue where strong Ka signals ghost and produce multiple weaker alerts, but what you're seeing is atypical and excessive. I'd give VR support a call and have them look at it.

Edit: I take that back, maybe it's not so atypical. It looks like there was a similar report here: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/102721/

That is very similar to what I've been seeing. It's not all the time but it definitely happens. I originally stated 15 to 20 and maybe I overstated. Maybe it's more like 10 to 15 but as you can see from the other thread it's definitely happening. Worse on K than KA for me. Yesterday before posting this, I deleted JBV1 Thinking that it was a set up issue. I could not find where to reset everything so I simply deleted however I lost all my logs. I did go for a drive this morning and had this one but it was only 5 from a single LEO.

20200808_172100.jpg
20200808_172100.jpg

Post automatically merged:

I also received my V1G2 with the latest firmware installed and have the same issue with K-band multiple bogeys. I expect multiples from door openers since there are often four doors being controlled and often simultaneously. However, getting 9 or 10 from the local sheriff deputy on a country road is crazy.
Same thing I'm seeing on my end. I appreciate the input.

VR is aware of these issues on K and Ka bands. Please be patient for the fix.
I was hoping it was something to that effect. I was afraid it was JBV1 So I delete it and re installed. I did watch the set up videos from Vortex but I've also been playing in the app so I thought maybe I did something wrong.

How much time elapses during a Ka hit?
What frequencies are you picking up during these hits?
That information can be found in the Alert Log of JBV1.

Also, what kind of area are you driving in at the time and what vehicle are you in?

There's been some headway made on this and some of your answers can help us and help Valentine as well when you talk to them. :)
Mostly highway. Live in wV but work in VA and DC. Most days I drive at least 200 miles a-day or more. So the V1 gets a good workout. Here was one from this morning. Its ony 5 at the same time. highway driving about 60 miles round trip.

20200808_172100.jpg
20200808_172100.jpg

@mreservices, IF your situation is what it sounds like; The idea behind this potential issue is that the Gen2 is not reducing sensitivity so when you get a strong signal that might burn through the filtering, there's actually some other stuff that shows as well.

What actually shows is what we hope to find out from what your answers are.

A couple of months ago I encountered two sets of what we call Suspiciously High Bogey Counts (SHBC) one morning on a mountain highway that was mostly empty.

As I entered a patch of heavy fog, my Gen2 started alerting to frequencies around 34.300+/- to the rear and it was filling up my screen in JBV1 all at once. I power cycled my Gen2 and it continued. A few minutes later it happened again as I drove through another patch of fog in the mountains. Once I was out of the fog it stopped entirely and acted normal.

In that ^^^ case, we believe that I was picking up my car's Satellite radio trying to maintain a connection. (Cell phones and Sat radios will increase their power in poor reception areas)

For you, you could be getting a valid alert at 34.700 and along with that the Gen2 shows you some 34.300 signals as well. That can be avoided with Custom Frequencies and it's very easy to set up. :)

Thank you for the heads up about cell phones and satellite radios. I do have an issue where I live going over several Hilly areas where signal is lost although that is not where I encountered these issues. Very good information though. I did Just post a picture of a drive from this morning. It's only 5 bogeys but you can get a feel for what I'm seeing. I deleted the app yesterday thinking it was a set up issue so I lost my logs from previous. I did re install and will try to get some additional logs this week.

Last edited:

mreservices

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, based on what I'm seeing, is this the ghosting issue that everyone is describing?

mreservices

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thank you. Hopefully this will be resolved in a future firmware. I will try to get to get more logs this week and will update accordingly. Have a great evening.

mhowie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Experienced what I believe matches this for the first time over the weekend. A Ka alert on a suburban interstate setting immediately increased to six “6” on the bogey counter and remained at this level for some time. My arrow was indicating a rearward threat but, after slowing down for a couple of miles, never saw a LEO emerge in the rear view mirror.

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
Experienced what I believe matches this for the first time over the weekend. A Ka alert on a suburban interstate setting immediately increased to six “6” on the bogey counter and remained at this level for some time. My arrow was indicating a rearward threat but, after slowing down for a couple of miles, never saw a LEO emerge in the rear view mirror.
He was probably behind you if this was an intestate. I’ve had a 1.6 mile (not line of sight) rear arrow alert on 35.5 (source- real world videos). The rear antenna is very sensitive. Sometimes if the radar from behind hits something ahead of you (billboard / DOT sign) it will reflect back causing the front antenna to point, so you may see the rear arrow flip to the front briefly and then back to the rear. The high bogey count usually indicates a strong signal.

mhowie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
He was probably behind you if this was an intestate. I’ve had a 1.6 mile (not line of sight) rear arrow alert on 35.5 (source- real world videos). The rear antenna is very sensitive. Sometimes if the radar from behind hits something ahead of you (billboard / DOT sign) it will reflect back causing the front antenna to point, so you may see the rear arrow flip to the front briefly and then back to the rear. The high bogey count usually indicates a strong signal.

Interesting regarding the bogey count indicating a strong signal. I thought that was what the LED indicators represented as they ramped up. On a related note, I experienced this again over the weekend. This time the LEO was spotted and passed by as the pack of cars followed behind dutifully. This time the bogey count reached "9" almost instantly.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I don't think he meant it that way. He might have been suggesting that the possible reflections were counted.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glockman03