Just spoke with Mike Valentine - Information on Upgrades/repairs etc 4th August 2020

BagNDrag

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I called today to inquire as to my V1G2 repair status. I had to send it back, because it was missing the serial number from a previous repair and it needed to be re-flashed. It arrived at their shop on the 29th of July and I hadn't heard back yet. I waited on the phone for a short period and then Mike himself answered. I recognized his voice from the interview @Vortex had with him. He was super nice, accommodating and we ended up chatting for about 25 minutes. As we have read in other discussions, they are SWAMPED with the upgrade shipments from people wanting to go from the V1 to V1G2. He said they have palettes in their warehouse that they are processing as fast as they can. He himself is out helping with all the work that needs to be done. My V1G2 happened to be delivered at the same time as all the upgrades, so it was in the middle of a palette somewhere until they could find it. After hearing how long I had been waiting, he fired up the ordering system and checked on my status personally. He told me he would make sure it was sent out tomorrow at the latest and apologized for the delay. It sounds like their upgrade program is a HUGE success, to the point they have had to shut down new requests until they can process all the current ones.

I also got to talk with him more about the "May Update." I asked him about the "ghosting" issues we have been experiencing. He said the May update included the fix for when a Ka alert happens while the detector is also suppressing false K and X band signals and suddenly they are alerted to as well. You should no longer see this happen. The actual ghosting issue with Ka has been reduced somewhat, but they are still working on the main issue were sometimes high level Ka signals can cause ghosting of other Ka signals. This fix will be coming in a future update. He talked about all the investments in the technology they have made to support and deliver the over the air updates and how they plan on releasing updates on a regular basis.

It was fun to talk with him. He is still as passionate as ever about the V1. I think we are in store for some good updates throughout the V1G2's lifespan.

-Mark

dyn0mitemat

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear their reinvesting and working on things. They must have separate depts/people working on upgrades vs fixing the power issues on the gen2s, mine/yours only took a day to get it turned around once they had it

alee

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Given how many small businesses have been destroyed in 2020, it's good to hear VR is busy. It goes to show how loyal folks are to the Valentine brand if they're all coming back for a gen2. After all, it takes a really good product to earn that second bite at the apple from the same consumer.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That's awesome. :) I'm glad you had a chance to chat with him and I appreciate you sharing what you found with us! I'm glad to hear they're working on the ghosting issues!

BagNDrag

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Given how many small businesses have been destroyed in 2020, it's good to hear VR is busy. It goes to show how loyal folks are to the Valentine brand if they're all coming back for a gen2. After all, it takes a really good product to earn that second bite at the apple from the same consumer.
Yes, he made it very clear he was thankful for everyone's business. I could tell from talking to him, that he was thankful for this landslide of upgrades happening at this specific moment after having to halt his sales for almost a year and then all the COVID madness.

milkman

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I called today to inquire as to my V1G2 repair status. I had to send it back, because it was missing the serial number from a previous repair and it needed to be re-flashed. It arrived at their shop on the 29th of July and I hadn't heard back yet. I waited on the phone for a short period and then Mike himself answered. I recognized his voice from the interview @Vortex had with him. He was super nice, accommodating and we ended up chatting for about 25 minutes. As we have read in other discussions, they are SWAMPED with the upgrade shipments from people wanting to go from the V1 to V1G2. He said they have palettes in their warehouse that they are processing as fast as they can. He himself is out helping with all the work that needs to be done. My V1G2 happened to be delivered at the same time as all the upgrades, so it was in the middle of a palette somewhere until they could find it. After hearing how long I had been waiting, he fired up the ordering system and checked on my status personally. He told me he would make sure it was sent out tomorrow at the latest and apologized for the delay. It sounds like their upgrade program is a HUGE success, to the point they have had to shut down new requests until they can process all the current ones.

I also got to talk with him more about the "May Update." I asked him about the "ghosting" issues we have been experiencing. He said the May update included the fix for when a Ka alert happens while the detector is also suppressing false K and X band signals and suddenly they are alerted to as well. You should no longer see this happen. The actual ghosting issue with Ka has been reduced somewhat, but they are still working on the main issue were sometimes high level Ka signals can cause ghosting of other Ka signals. This fix will be coming in a future update. He talked about all the investments in the technology they have made to support and deliver the over the air updates and how they plan on releasing updates on a regular basis.

It was fun to talk with him. He is still as passionate as ever about the V1. I think we are in store for some good updates throughout the V1G2's lifespan.

-Mark
That is good news and Thanks for sharing.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, he made it very clear he was thankful for everyone's business. I could tell from talking to him, that he was thankful for this landslide of upgrades happening at this specific moment after having to halt his sales for almost a year and then all the COVID madness.
Totally understandable! He built an awesome detector and deserves all this business he's now getting! It must feel extra great right now after not selling detectors for a year and then all the craziness with Covid, lol...

Bloovy One

135,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
What are they doing with those trade in units?
Not sure if you are asking this of the general group or not. :)
They get destroyed so that they don't work anymore and eventually recycled.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad that you spoke to him. I called a few months back and we ended up chatting for 20 min or so. Great guy!

Hacker

Fat dumb & stupid is no way to go through life son
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??
You’ve got the love the fact that the founder and owner of the company gets his hands dirty with the rest of his staff. That speaks absolute volumes of the man, his beliefs and what he’s doing.

Last edited:

moneychanger

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
This is all good stuff. I have been a Mike Valentine 'follower' from the late 1970's. So good to hear that nothing has changed. The man is thoroughly engaged and committed. A heartfelt story - not to get too icky about. it. But it is encouraging to hear when an individual is dedicated to his product and his customers. I believe we will be saying the same about the Radenso boys/girls in the future.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grock