I Preordered A Pixel 4a. Anyone Else Planning On Getting One?

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've had my eye on the Pixel 5XL to replace my current company phone but alas, the camera finally died on my venerable screen-cracked Pixel 2 XL. I use the camera a lot and it will be a while before the Pixel 5 XL comes out so I have to come up with a solution for now. Last week I was looking at 3XL's and even made an offer on some NIB units on Ebay but the offer was rejected and they were going for just a bit more than I'd be willing to pay. The same phones have come down a bit in price this week, I'd guess due to the release of the 4a but I decided I'll take the 4a. The 4a is brand new and still a bit cheaper.

I'm paying for this one out of my own pocket to use as a stop gap until a 5G-capabable flagship comes out for the company to purchase for me. I'm planning for that to be a 5XL but will have to wait and see what becomes of it. I could have gotten a 4xl but wasn't impressed enough to give up my upgrade for it and thought I'd limp along with my 2XL a little longer.

I think the 4a really hits a sweet spot with price and features, probably for a lot of people. They've gotten rid of most of the stuff I don't care about and seem to have converted that to a better price. I never did like the squeeze thing, more annoying than anything, I don't care for USB headphone jack converting (though I do use BT), Face recognition?? Meh. What I do care about is snappy operation, a top tier camera and good battery life.

If it performs as well as the reviews so far say it does, I think the 4a checks all the boxes for me besides being a little too small. That's ok, I'll relegate it to other duties after I get a higher end phone later this year.

croup

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Definitely ditching the Samsung Note 10+ for the Pixel in two months....Just have not made my mind up on the one to get...I have been glancing at the 4a and it sure it a sweet price and like you a lot of that other stuff I do not care about....But I do prefer the bigger phones....

CPB

Left Lane for Passing Only
Advanced User
Reaction score
I pre-ordered. I'll sell my 3a XL on swappa once it comes in.

InDecay

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I may have jumped on the 4a but I went with the recent T-Mobile deal with the Samsung A71 5G. It has a touch faster CPU and 5G is actually usable in my house, compared to LTE barely getting a signal. Perhaps if the 4a would have launched the 5G model now and at the same price... The Pixel camera just isn't that important since this phone is primarily for JBV1 =)

meismyname

SysOp
SysOp
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm probably going to hold out for the 5g Pixels. I'm still on an original Pixel XL, but it has still been working great.

InDecay

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If it performs as well as the reviews so far say it does, I think the 4a checks all the boxes for me besides being a little too small. That's ok, I'll relegate it to other duties after I get a higher end phone later this year.
You may want to watch the MBKHD review, as it mentions the CPU was holding back the responsiveness. My A71 is quick enough with a similar CPU, but nowhere near iOS smoothness.

AlexJ

Агенство Интернет-исследований
Beginner User
Reaction score
It looks like a good phone but as a current owner of Pixel 4 XL I do not need it and I probably would not order it anyway, I really dislike the trend of making holes in front display for front camera. I am curious if Pixel 5 will also have it, if it will - I will be staying with Pixel 4 XL for longer time.

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
  • Admin
You may want to watch the MBKHD review, as it mentions the CPU was holding back the responsiveness. My A71 is quick enough with a similar CPU, but nowhere near iOS smoothness.
I'll give the review a look but coming from a 3 year old phone I doubt I'll have an issue with responsiveness. I've had Samsungs. Way too much bloatware. The biggest pluses of the pixel line are no bloatware, bone stock software with the fastest updates and the cameras.

Riptide

Recovering M3 Addict
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I will also be replacing my Pixel 2 with the 4A. Apple almost got me to switch this time around with the SE, but the 4A looks like its exactly what I need. I must admit I really like and use the squeeze feature on my 2, but I'll survive without it.

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I will also be replacing my Pixel 2 with the 4A. Apple almost got me to switch this time around with the SE, but the 4A looks like its exactly what I need. I must admit I really like and use the squeeze feature on my 2, but I'll survive without it.
My problem was it getting squeezed in my pocket and doing stuff against my will.... ;) LOL. Finally I just set it so it needs a ton of pressure. I never use it.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm probably going to hold out for the 5g Pixels. I'm still on an original Pixel XL, but it has still been working great.
If I were you right now, I'd wait for the 5. But you should really have replaced the Pixel 1 with the Pixel 4 late last year. I went directly from Pixel 1 to Pixel 4 because the Pixel 1 stopped receiving security updates after October 2019. You really should discontinue use of these things when security updates stop (unless you want your phone to be turned into a zombie).

riseboi

Southpaw
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I thought about preordering but I'm hoping for some more deals as the release date comes closer. I'm not gonna give up my iPhone but I have a secondary Google voice number I use for work related stuff that i could use the Pixel for. And maybe the occassional JBV1 or HR use.

My problem was it getting squeezed in my pocket and doing stuff against my will.... ;) LOL. Finally I just set it so it needs a ton of pressure. I never use it.

I didn't take you for a skinny jeans kind of guy. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I didn't take you for a skinny jeans kind of guy. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D
The problem is that they aren't skinny jeans. :roflolmao:

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I was tempted based on price alone, but my 2 XL is still working great, so I can wait for the 5 XL.

meismyname

SysOp
SysOp
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If I were you right now, I'd wait for the 5. But you should really have replaced the Pixel 1 with the Pixel 4 late last year. I went directly from Pixel 1 to Pixel 4 because the Pixel 1 stopped receiving security updates after October 2019. You really should discontinue use of these things when security updates stop (unless you want your phone to be turned into a zombie).
Yeah, I know. I was planning on jumping to the 3a, but with the rumors of the 4a, I was figuring I might as well hold off for that. Now I'm waiting for the 4a 5g. Might consider switching to Lineage at some point. I ran Cyanogen on most of my older phones back in the day, but by the time I got to my Nexus 5X and Pixel XL, most of the features I looked for in custom roms were integrated into stock Android, so I stopped bothering.

Cyanogen had periodic stable releases, whereas Lineage gave that up, which has made me hesitant to make the jump. I need my phone to just work instead of dealing with bugs.

wade001

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
my 2xl is still going strong also.. but i am still kind of am tempted on the 5xl.

we'll have to see when that time comes.. but with the 2xl getting feature updates all the way through android 11.. i might wait.. unless of course something happens and the device breaks..

ugg still undecided LOL

but dont get me wrong. my 2xl (and the wifes pixel 2) have been excellent phones since we pre-ordered them.. i can only hope the next device is just as good

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've been anticipating it's release for what feels like forever.

I'm was hugely disappointed to find out it didn't have wireless charging; that's a deal breaker for me.
😭

Me Llamo Slowpoke

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was tempted based on price alone, but my 2 XL is still working great, so I can wait for the 5 XL.
Yup, same situation here. Can't hurt to be running JBV1 on the exact phone as the developer either 😁

If my phone died like the OP's, I would be doing the same as him.

I am a happy pixel customer.

JustinM2C

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Been holding onto my 3, skipped the 4 because it was sad, waiting on the 5. I look forward to hearing about the 4a.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deathkillex