Speedy got away!

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Coming back from a trip on 495 south in MA around 10pm there was a trooper backed up very high under a bridge shooting laser, his exact location was not marked on Waze but there were pins ahead where he had pulled people over recently. Shortly after I passed him a SUV (wife said it was a Honda Pilot) flew past me in the left lane, I kept an eye on the rear view, sure enough after a bit the trooper flew past, but the pilot had a good lead and seemed to be increasing speed. I kept driving but there was never a disco, and there were a few close exits along the way. It looked like the Pilot knew he was busted and made a run for it. Rewind......when I got close to the trooper the 1st time I did get his 33.8 as he left that on (weak FF), a bit after I realized the pilot got away I picked up the same frequency right at turn around in the median between trees with a bit of dust still in the air. Looks like the Pilot got away and the trooper double backed on his spot under the bridge. So....who here was on 495 heading south Friday night?! I saved the moments to the dashcam but doubt I will have time to pull them for the next few days at least.

On a side note, I feel sorry for anyone living/driving I-90/I-87 around Albany - it was nothing but 34.7 the entire way. I have JBV1 set to 2.5 miles for alerts.....as soon as I would pass one pin I would get notified of another just ahead as well. They were all there, and some not marked in between. The G2 was alerting constantly in that area!

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
That area near Albany is always always busy. They like to use I/O up there as well

Good story

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
They get pretty wound up over the Houdini. Even funnier when something not particularly athletic like a Pilot ditches them. While I'm laughing I think it's a really bad idea to attempt this once the lights are flashing. If the lights aren't flashing and you make the attempt, hope it's successful. Otherwise you likely get taken or at least written for everything they can think of.

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
They get pretty wound up over the Houdini. Even funnier when something not particularly athletic like a Pilot ditches them. While I'm laughing I think it's a really bad idea to attempt this once the lights are flashing. If the lights aren't flashing and you make the attempt, hope it's successful. Otherwise you likely get taken or at least written for everything they can think of.
The lights were never flashing, he passed me around 100 easily, I kept waiting for him to turn them on but nothing. I think he was waiting to close in to turn them on but never got close. I think the trooper's issue was how far back and high he was on the bridge embankment. He had to roll down slowly I'm sure then wait for a clearing, all precious time the Pilot used to his advantage.

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Coming back from a trip on 495 south in MA around 10pm there was a trooper backed up very high under a bridge shooting laser, his exact location was not marked on Waze but there were pins ahead where he had pulled people over recently. Shortly after I passed him a SUV (wife said it was a Honda Pilot) flew past me in the left lane, I kept an eye on the rear view, sure enough after a bit the trooper flew past, but the pilot had a good lead and seemed to be increasing speed. I kept driving but there was never a disco, and there were a few close exits along the way. It looked like the Pilot knew he was busted and made a run for it. Rewind......when I got close to the trooper the 1st time I did get his 33.8 as he left that on (weak FF), a bit after I realized the pilot got away I picked up the same frequency right at turn around in the median between trees with a bit of dust still in the air. Looks like the Pilot got away and the trooper double backed on his spot under the bridge. So....who here was on 495 heading south Friday night?! I saved the moments to the dashcam but doubt I will have time to pull them for the next few days at least.

On a side note, I feel sorry for anyone living/driving I-90/I-87 around Albany - it was nothing but 34.7 the entire way. I have JBV1 set to 2.5 miles for alerts.....as soon as I would pass one pin I would get notified of another just ahead as well. They were all there, and some not marked in between. The G2 was alerting constantly in that area!
I'm further down on i-90 but its 99.9% of the time 34/7 c/o on my experiences, I've rarely seen lidar but they are definitely up and down. :)

FastStevie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Outer Podunk Mississippi (Gulfport Suburbs)
Or a 1979 Chevy Malibu doing 92 in the 55.

State PO-PO had to wait until there was a cut-through in the median before he could circle back with the old bubble top flashing.

I hope after nearly 40 years that the statute of limitations has expired.

Hmmm, this is Mississippi, maybe not.

Yep, he was ticked off. Him a couple friends were hanging out on the side of the road when I passed them doing a more respectable 54. He had more friends about two miles down the road. Guess they thought I might speed up after passing the first set.

NO, my heart beat was just starting to wind down. Even after spending 20 minutes at Diary Queen.

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I've ditched a few who never had the opportunity to get those lights on behind me. Once the lights are on in the mirror it becomes something different. @FastStevie I had one I/O me in rural MS one rainy night at about 104. That car doesn't have ABS so I instinctively nailed the brakes and slid probably 60 feet before slowing at all. He was on the other side waiting to ambush them as they topped a hill. All dark, I didn't see him at all until he turned his spotlight on me. Never hit the reds and blues. He'd have sunk that car down to the frame had he chosen to attempt crossing that median. I thought about it for a moment and just kept the hammer down for the next 50 miles or so to the next state. By the time he went far enough the wrong way to a turnaround I made sure he'd never catch up. It was after midnight and at one time MS had no troopers working after midnight except for calls/accidents. This guy was probably a county. I might have passed two cars before I hit the line. I don't believe in running. If they are behind me with the lights on I just stop. In some cases I slowed down and waited because I knew they were coming and there just weren't better options. Fleeing in most states is a felony. No reason to turn even a big speeding ticket into a life changer.

RedRocket

(a/k/a "refricket")
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
@westwind77 -
The only spot I've encountered that Trooper up under the bridge is in Mansfield on I-495, is that where he was ?
Albany area is always crawling w/ both radar & lidar enforcement every time I've rolled thru there.

FastStevie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It was after midnight and at one time MS had no troopers working after midnight except for calls/accidents. This guy was probably a county.
County PO-PO (aka Sheriff) doesn't have the legal right to run radar in Mississippi.*

In Mississippi the Highway Patrol is unrestricted, except in large municipalities**, but like you noted their hours are limited.

Cities and towns have restrictions.

Towns = No radar.
Small Cities (2,000 to 15,000 population) = radar allowed only on city controlled streets.
Cities (>15,000) = radar throughout the city including State roads and Highways

So somebody blowing through on a US Hwy or Interstate will only see radar from the State Troopers outside the major cities OR local city LEO in qualified cities.

And trust me, if the city is qualified, Local City LEO is got himself a trap set up, 'cause it is all about the revenue.

* Except one county (Lowndes since 1976) see:

https://www.meridianstar.com/news/l...cle_b94402d3-5db8-586f-97ac-d877163dc901.html

**MS radar law:

As to the Sheriff everybody sees on the major highways, there is a darn good chance he is running tag reading software for drug interdiction plus doing visual traffic enforcement.

Or he is the chase car for the Local City LEO running radar.

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I think somewhere around the 120 marker on I-59 between Meridian and Laurel I've seen them doing thorough roadside searches on numerous occasions. Always had the feeling they were really looking for stuff well beyond speeding.

FastStevie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I think somewhere around the 120 marker on I-59 between Meridian and Laurel I've seen them doing thorough roadside searches on numerous occasions. Always had the feeling they were really looking for stuff well beyond speeding.
Gotta be county Sheriff or State Trooper, no city in that area is going to have radar permission.

Strip searching a car? If the media is to believed (based upon announcements of drug, weapons or money seizures) it is like 90% of the time going to be Sheriff.

And MS does a lot of strip searching vehicles.

Strip searching a commercial truck will be Sheriff or MDOT enforcement

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@westwind77 -
The only spot I've encountered that Trooper up under the bridge is in Mansfield on I-495, is that where he was ?
Albany area is always crawling w/ both radar & lidar enforcement every time I've rolled thru there.
He was up under the Bay St Bridge right before Exit 8 (138) heading southbound on 495.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lrhoneybadger