V1G2 Faceplate Issue Solution

NJWonderer

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The only issue I have had is the faceplate pealing off and I did press it back on...then it pealed back off. Since the detector is in the hot sun naturally the adhesive holding the faceplate to the Valentine becomes weak.

I dont want to send mine back in if I can resolve it myself. Im wondering if anyone has resolved the issue? I could use many types of glue and adhesive but I think a mild adhesive like a small strip of double stick tape. Maybe the faceplate may need to be taken off one day so a mild adhesive like a small bar of double stick tape will be ideal.

Thoughts?

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Send it back. Any modifying you may do might affect warranty inquiries. The front panel is easily removable and the fix for them might be installing a newer updated panel.

NJWonderer

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I pressed it back on for a 2nd time and so far it hasnt pealed off again. I will wait to see if it peals back before taking action. The front of the display has a slight curve to it thus there is pressure on the faceplate as it tends to straighten it out. When enough sun and heat hits it the adhesive weakens. The main enemy to adhesive is heat...

biolink

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I see this as an issue they may honor after warranties are up. I know guys who use V1 a few times a year and may not notice the peeling until the next family reunion.

They are quick. I was called on Friday to say they had it and I was driving with it the following Tuesday. (Results may vary)

Last edited:

Carbuff2

Lightness = Speed
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've had issues that that on vehicles that sit in the hot sun. My confirmed fix is below.

If you don't want it to come loose in the future, just one drop of Crazy Glue (away from any indicators) will keep it in place. (until the other end comes loose, LOL)

kmac

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'd definitely call and get a return shipping label.
I sent mine back for this issue the first of April. It had separated and I pushed it back on. Lasted a couple of weeks and separated again. They sent it back and it separated again. Called Customer service and the young lady apologized that they had just re-glued it back instead of replacing the face plate. From her I understood they had changed the glue on the newer faceplates.
It has been mounted in the car 24/7 for 2 months now in mid 90 degree heat and no further issues.
IMG_2744.JPG

Last edited:

mikano

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The only issue I have had is the faceplate pealing off and I did press it back on...then it pealed back off. Since the detector is in the hot sun naturally the adhesive holding the faceplate to the Valentine becomes weak.

I dont want to send mine back in if I can resolve it myself. Im wondering if anyone has resolved the issue? I could use many types of glue and adhesive but I think a mild adhesive like a small strip of double stick tape. Maybe the faceplate may need to be taken off one day so a mild adhesive like a small bar of double stick tape will be ideal.

Thoughts?
. How long do you have this V1G2, curious to know if I’ll have this problem soon. I’ll have mine by Monday ?

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
. How long do you have this V1G2, curious to know if I’ll have this problem soon. I’ll have mine by Monday ?
That is irrelevant. Members here (including me) have first production units from March with zero issues. Your unit can be perfect forever or fail at any time. No one knows but the latest units should be good.

Vancity23

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Why would you try and fix it yourself, its a manufacturer’s defect they need to fix for you.

steve042

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Mine went back last month for the FP issue.. Being an engineer I was chomping at the bit to just re-glue it and be done but why bother and possibly complicate things for VR should I need additional repairs / upgrades down the line? FWIW I sent back Tuesday morning and it was returned by the weekend. Excellent turn around. Just my 2 cents!

squidd99

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I agree with Jake. I have one of the first units, and have not had the faceplate issue. (I did have the issue with non-starting, buy VR fixed that up for me right away.) Sometimes I have it in the car for days in the hot sun, and still no problems with the faceplate.

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
My faceplate was repaired and it's been fine ever since

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I’d send it in. Let them fix it. If we did it ourselves, why would they bother to improve it going forward.

The DIY crazy glue fix? What if the other side pops loose after that? What if you get a bubble in the middle? At least if you let them do it.... any imperfections could be, and should be rectified by Valentine.

Like others have said.... the turn around time is quick. Why risk it.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
I’d send it in. Let them fix it. If we did it ourselves, why would they bother to improve it going forward.

The DIY crazy glue fix? What if the other side pops loose after that? What if you get a bubble in the middle? At least if you let them do it.... any imperfections could be, and should be rectified by Valentine.

Like others have said.... the turn around time is quick. Why risk it.
There was one reported imperfection after fix from Valentine. Can’t remember the user and I don’t know if it ever cleared up or not on its own. Had to do with an undulation of the front around either the back laser area or close to the arrows... probably where they pressed too hard and there was no frame behind it to glue against, so when it cured, it left that “dent”. At least that’s what I could kinda deduce from the pic.

SpedUp

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Plus if you send it back for repair, they will probably update the firmware too, (if you need it)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scrappy281