Highway Radar v2.4: Open API, better arrows, and more

ferius

More arrows please
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm happy to announce that I've published v2.4 to the beta channel. I'm planning to keep this update in beta mode for several weeks while observing stability and tuning the performance; later, I'll make it public. To become a beta tester, you need to enroll in Play Market on the app's page.

Together with this version, I'm announcing an open API protocol, called SABRE (Special Activity Broadcast Receiving Engine). Highway Radar already supports this protocol, and I'm inviting @johnboy00 to implement it in JBV1 as well.

The purpose of the SABRE protocol is to move crowd-sourced alerts management to a separate plugin. By following the technical documentation located at https://sabre.app, owners of various crowd-sourced alerting networks will be able to integrate with Highway Radar and all other applications supporting SABRE. The significant advantage of using SABRE plugins is that they're not only allowing pulling alerts from various data sources. They also enable sending new reports and confirming/declining existing ones as you pass by.

As this is the very first announcement of this protocol, there aren't any existing plugins yet. However, I hope that in some time, we'll see plugins for various data sources. This version of Highway Radar supports both the old way of pulling the data (via setting a server name) and the new one (using the SABRE protocol). If a good enough SABRE plugin gets released, the old crowd-sourced functionality will be removed from the core app in favor of a SABRE plugins.

Here is the full list of changes in this version:
  • [SABRE only] Submit, confirm, and decline crowd-sourced reports
  • [SABRE only] When submitting a new report, it is placed at the location where the "report" button was clicked first, or where the voice command recording has begun.
  • Removed automatic Waze reporting via accessibility service, as this turned out to be very battery-unfriendly (and also in favor of SABRE plugins)
  • Removed SEAL integration, as the project is terminated now
  • Arrows list is scrollable now
  • Fixed some layout issues
  • Fixed a bug when risk level was computed incorrectly for low-flying aircraft
  • Added a little animation to the arrows list

This is quite an early release, so please expect some bugs or issues may happen. Please report them here or using the bug report feature (triple tap on the speed or "Submit bug report" using the voice control).

Have fun! And special thanks to those 120 people switched to the beta update channel!

photo_2020-08-01_00-07-38 (3).jpg
photo_2020-08-01_00-07-38 (2).jpg
photo_2020-08-01_00-07-38.jpg
photo_2020-08-01_00-07-36.jpg

Last edited:

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome work!

jacobmccarthy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Fantastic work. Thanks!
Post automatically merged:

How do I get a green check for SABRE and get it working? I have it enabled in settings I think?
Screenshot_20200801-080448.png
Screenshot_20200801-080652.png

Last edited:

UnderCover

Beep...Beep...Beep Beep...Beeeeeeeeeep!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Way awesome! Thank you. I just updated mine a minute ago!

ferius

More arrows please
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Fantastic work. Thanks!
Post automatically merged:

How do I get a green check for SABRE and get it working? I have it enabled in settings I think?View attachment 155561View attachment 155562
You need to wait for someone to create a SABRE plug-in first. This is a new protocol, that I just announced, and there aren't any plugins yet.

BTW, I planned, that if you disable the usage of plug-in in settings, you should get a gray check (like not needed). Now I found that it always shows a red X if there is no plug-in installed. I'll update this in the next beta build.

jacobmccarthy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So within this beta is there anyway to iniate a report from within the app? (As the vvase button is gone) Once SABRE is fully integrated, will it still be possible to integrate vvase alerts? The more crowd sourced data the better, right?

ferius

More arrows please
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
So within this beta is there anyway to iniate a report from within the app? (As the vvase button is gone) Once SABRE is fully integrated, will it still be possible to integrate vvase alerts? The more crowd sourced data the better, right?
You are right. I won't remove existing crowdsourced alerts until some some SABRE plug-in will have at least feature parity with existing CSA.

Reporting isn't available until a SABRE plug-in supporting that is released.

jacobmccarthy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Alright. Understood. I reverted back to the public release for the time being, but now I seem to be having an issue where the heat map is no longer showing, and under data management it shows 0B as the heat map data downloaded...

fitz4321

Running With Scissors
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
I’m not sure if I understand how to get the SABRE report button to show. I have it set in the settings.
Thanks Fitz
Edit: I just read post 6. Got it.

ferius

More arrows please
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Alright. Understood. I reverted back to the public release for the time being, but now I seem to be having an issue where the heat map is no longer showing, and under data management it shows 0B as the heat map data downloaded...
Interesting. Can you try clearing the app cache?

ferius

More arrows please
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I've uploaded a new build to the beta channel. Now you should see a gray check mark (instead of a red X) if there is no SABRE plugin installed.

G37X Jockey

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've uploaded a new build to the beta channel. Now you should see a gray check mark (instead of a red X) if there is no SABRE plugin installed.
@ferius the latest beta version repeatedly either stops or goes into background every 15 - 30 minutes on my A5 (2017). I've reinstalled it several times but the problem persists and I've sent the crash logs.
It's a great app btw.

ferius

More arrows please
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
@ferius the latest beta version repeatedly either stops or goes into background every 15 - 30 minutes on my A5 (2017). I've reinstalled it several times but the problem persists and I've sent the crash logs.
It's a great app btw.
Hi, I've got your crash reports. This is a very strange one, as the crash happens in the graphics driver. Also, you seem to be the only one experiencing that issue now. Have you used the first v2.4 beta, the one without a build number? Now I'm trying to understand which version change could lead to that behavior.

Also, does the crash happen on its own, or as a result of some actions?

Last edited:

Discord Server

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nitemare50