35.5 zingers this morning

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Started off with a forward 35.5 alert coming up on a busy intersection this morning. When I turned left it switched to the rear and I thought it was probably on the highway about a quarter mile behind me. THEN the V1 just went berserk with rear alerts - up and down the the 35.5 spectrum it seemed. Kept trying to hit the big green speaker button to mute the whole thing in busy traffic. Finally stopped about a mile from the intersection where it started. Map below starts on the left and goes right - All I've got is logs:
Attach0 (2).jpg
1596230298535.png
1596230325576.png

kmac

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've had a similar experience but mine was 34.6
This is an issue VR needs to address
Post automatically merged:

Went to 10 bogeys
Lake county sheriff's do run front and rear 34.7 on motorcycles but I never saw the source

Attachments

Last edited:

barry

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@surprisinguy, Wow, what a mess. I first thought there might be a pattern here. Notice, starting at 08:47:59, the frequencies increment down for each new alert i.e., 35.457, 35.455, 35.453, 35.452, 35.451, 35.450, 35.449, 35.448, 35.446 over 4 seconds. But, this pattern doesn't appear to hold after 08:48:07. Was there a police convention close by?

@kmac, If I'm understanding your alert log correctly, the screenshots seem to show the history of a single alert. What do you see if you back up a screen on the logs? Do the 10 different bogeys show up then?

surprisinguy

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, like I said, it's crazy. Only had one other instance of this #18 firmware then - #19 on this one though.

kmac

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I posted from my phone. After looking at the logs they were all from the front.
They actually started as 34.843 then 34.710 then 34.877 then 34.665. It alerted for three minutes and you could not determine WTF was going on. The bogey count maxed out.

The logs indicated the source was right in front of me and I never saw the source.
I've ran both firm wares and I've had this ghosting issue on both. This incident was running 19

blakes

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm having the same trouble with mine, it's almost unusable at this point. Some days it's perfectly quiet, then sometimes it just has a stroke. Completely maxes out bogeys and will not shutup. Always on 33-35. I'm trying to tune it, hopefully I figure it out.

I had 400 alerts on a 30 minute drive, it would not stop alerting. I am in a canyon and there are zero sources. When I came in on Thursday, it didn't alert once, not even for BSM stuff. I dunno, maybe a cop 10 miles away somewhere is pointing a radar gun down the canyon and it's reflecting off of every surface available.

Attachments

surprisinguy

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's being worked on - though I thought it was addressed in the #19 firmware update, obviously not.
The hard part is just trying to shut it up when it starts lol

blakes

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The hard part is just trying to shut it up when it starts lol
Exactly, same problem I have. Once it starts it just doesn't end, power cycles usually doesn't resolve, sometimes does though.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
Exactly, same problem I have. Once it starts it just doesn't end, power cycles usually doesn't resolve, sometimes does though.
So if a power cycle doesn’t shut it up, then it’s not something internal (firmware stability wise) that’s causing this. It’s either hardware issue or it’s an outside source causing it issues... like some signal source causing it havoc due to firmware glitch or something with power source, who knows. Next time it happens, do a proper power cycle (pull power on it). Newer electronics don’t always full power off or properly cycle if you just press the power button. Do it right and drain it of power for 5-10 seconds and then plug it back in. If it’s still wonky doing it this way, then it’s what I said above. If this type of power cycle always clears up the instability, then you at least have a better piece to the puzzle as it’s going to be related to whatever doesn’t fully power cycle when power button is pressed inside the detector. Hope that makes sense.

surprisinguy

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Usually too much going on for me to unplug - replug

kmac

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Usually too much going on for me to unplug - replug
You read my mind.
It eventually clears itself.

I wasn't concerned about the face plate separating or the random shutdowns, I knew they would find the fix for those but this I think is a software issue and I'm not as sure about this.
It renders the unit unusable with no idea where or what the source is

blakes

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It renders the unit unusable with no idea where or what the source is
Exactly what I was going to say. Sometimes it's great, other times it's less than useless. Seems to be about half the time.

When I power cycle, I unplug it, it's easier for me to do that.

I just cleared everything and reconfigured my sweeps and profiles in jbv1. It was a little quieter in some sections. Jbv1 did a really good job of quieting down alerts, but every thirty seconds you get 9 bogeys then 4 bogeys, then 14 bogeys, it's craziness. And they come from every direction at once, which is less than useless information. Some cars alert, but it seems random.

My firmware is the newest version and all that. I've turned off my own BSM and there was no change to alerts. I'm driving in Adv logic mode.

I'm beginning to think this may be a heat related issue or something. Seems to be fine when I'm in Seattle, it doesn't get too hot in the windshield, and I take it out when it's parked.

However, in eastern Washington where it's been 90-100 degrees F, it just has a stroke whenever I use it. I'm getting the feeling that the heat is throwing off calibration of sensitivity or something. I have the most problems out here. Maybe there are police way up on the hills ten miles away and KA and K signals bounce everywhere.

I dunno, it could be so powerful, but I've literally gotten two legit alerts out of thousands. One was a Seattle PD on KA, and the other was Soap Lake PD on X band of all things (I hadn't configured sweeps yet, turns out soap lake PD still uses x band haha).

I want to love it, and I do like half the time, the other half, I'm yelling what's the point of this thing.

I just took some video of what's going on, I'll upload in a bit.

Couple of photos to illustrate the area I'm in, and it's just constantly alerting. Then the sheriff drove by and it was completely silent.

Attachments

Last edited:

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
Are you guys seeing these if you don’t run custom frequencies? The reason I’m asking is because CF is basically ranges you want alerts to happen within. What I’m wondering is, what if the detector function or logic is scanning an active signal or perhaps more than one and the frequency slightly shifts due to signal bounce or interference or some other reason. When that happens, the logic normally wouldn’t sound another bogey because it knows it’s tracking the same signal with an expected frequency shift, but because you basically unmuted with CF, you’ve overridden it and now it’s alerting to all that. Or somewhat similarly, when a signal is detected, the logic is written to alert to certain frequencies at a certain strength, depending on what it is. Since CF logic might not have a strength parameter which it takes into affect, you’ve now essentially unmuted even those signals/bogies the detector wouldn’t have alerted to and would have filtered out.

It’s almost as if Valentine programmed custom frequencies to no longer take Ka Guard or K Verifier or whatever logic is now uses into affect when they’re enabled, which is not correct... it should still take those filters into affect as CF is simply a way for the user to further limit falses in addition to default filter rule set. I wonder if it’s this last thing, if this only happens when CF is used. This would be a funny ass programming mistake to make. 🤦‍♂️🤣

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same trouble with mine, it's almost unusable at this point. Some days it's perfectly quiet, then sometimes it just has a stroke. Completely maxes out bogeys and will not shutup. Always on 33-35. I'm trying to tune it, hopefully I figure it out.

I had 400 alerts on a 30 minute drive, it would not stop alerting. I am in a canyon and there are zero sources. When I came in on Thursday, it didn't alert once, not even for BSM stuff. I dunno, maybe a cop 10 miles away somewhere is pointing a radar gun down the canyon and it's reflecting off of every surface available.
That's not typical. Give VR a call and send it in for service.

BIGGER Dave

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's my thought too, I'll be calling them this week. Seems like most people aren't experiencing what I am.
Had my Gen2 since March 8 and it’s NEVER reacted the way yours reacts. Mostly silent 99% of the time. Time to send yours in.

kmac

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Mine works perfectly 99.9% of the time.I’m running with jbv1 no cf’s L below 35 and l above 35 with kv on. The two times I’ve experienced ghosting it’s been in heavy traffic and it’s ka. I’ve gotten a few k band door opener ghosts but you can differentiate those. The ka Ghosts is when it just goes nuts and you can’t begin to determine what’s going on. I received mine on March 13th

Last edited:

biolink

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was kind of wondering what was mentioned above. Are these ghosting issues happening for anyone simply running in A, l, or L with no custom frequencies? I remember having a ghosting issue with my first V1 in 1994, but never since.

surprisinguy

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine was in L mode as I was going under 30 when it started - CF is on

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grock