Mobile phone detection cameras are coming

factoryguy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I hate to see yet another nanny state addition ripe for government abuse, but I'm torn after seeing so many idiots driving at high speeds and looking at their phones. I wonder how how it handles mounted phones or integrated displays, like Android auto.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Great.
I'm all for it. anyone using a phone while driving should get summary execution at the roadside and then hung from a power pole as a warning to others.

NBTBRV8

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I don't use mine when driving, but am concerned it may inadvertently catch my windscreen mounted detector in an image.

Mayuri Krab

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The cynic in me wonders if a photo shows a (RDD immune) detector on the windscreen those, would you get a double fine and/or cop come knocking on your door to confiscate said detector.
Post automatically merged:

I don't use mine when driving, but am concerned it may inadvertently catch my windscreen mounted detector in an image.
Where is it mounted (which stealth unit do you have)?

Best thing I guess is mount it up high near the review mirror, less chance it getting picked up.

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I think they have to capture a phone in your hand. They'd have a job telling an RD from a dashcam up on the screen.

NBTBRV8

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The cynic in me wonders if a photo shows a (RDD immune) detector on the windscreen those, would you get a double fine and/or cop come knocking on your door to confiscate said detector.

Where is it mounted (which stealth unit do you have)?

Best thing I guess is mount it up high near the review mirror, less chance it getting picked up.
I have an R1 mounted low down in the centre of the screen

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
These are already switched on and operated in NSW as stated. You're right to say eventually they will be rolled out elsewhere. QLD and Vic gov will be loving it. My theory is start moving towards a smartwatch, as it would be harder to determine it being in use, and least you keep your hands on the wheel at the same time if you have to use it.

Last edited:

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we've got new increased penalties coming in after 15 Sept in WA:

1596343673459.png

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Most cost effective camera defeat I've seen is a black bin bag, put over the whole cam pole head, and then taped up around the pole to stop it blowing away. Someone had enough I guess. Thousands lost for about $0.15. Wonder if this is in the passive countermeasures section ha!

Last edited:

dgc333

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I find it absolutely amazing that people are so brain dead that they think texting while driving is OK. It is a shame that it has gotten to the point the government feels the need to put these camera systems in place.

Its even more amazing when i see someone driving with a phone in there hand when you know dam well the car they are driving is new enough that it has hands free Bluetooth.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I find it absolutely amazing that people are so brain dead that they think texting while driving is OK. It is a shame that it has gotten to the point the government feels the need to put these camera systems in place.

Its even more amazing when i see someone driving with a phone in there hand when you know dam well the car they are driving is new enough that it has hands free Bluetooth.

So true. Also, most must not be aware of any methods of speech to text if you have to do it. Not hard to comply is it? Or at least pull over. Where I'm at, if your phones in a windshield mount, you can press to answer, but that's all you can do. Hands free is obviously how you take the call.
Unsure about a law, but think if you pull over to handle a call, think the engine is supposed to be off, but I'd have to look into that. I usually ignore the call and get back to whoever later. Pretty easy, but that's just me.

dgc333

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Even my 68 Plymouth Barracuda has hands free. It cost all of $20 off Amazon and it works great. It clips to the sun visor. It works with either Siri or Google Assistant. With one button push you can make & receive calls and it will read text messages to you and allow you to respond using Google/Siri's speech to text.

If you feel the need to stay connected while driving there is no excuse no matter how old your vehicle is not to have one of these.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ask any biker about riding among car drivers all focussed on their phones. It's not great for your stress levels, but an air horn or mirrorectomy works wonders.

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Few people riding the bus soon by the looks.
Yes, double demerits on public holidays will bump that up nicely :)

I wonder which one "touched phone to report dodgy hidden reveune cam location on waze" falls under?
I'm amazed, as they seem to have removed the voice reporting option "Ok Waze" from Waze in the newer versions ?

I used it all the time, so I wouldn't need to touch the phone, along with not using ALPConnect, but hi-fi instead

factoryguy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Unfortunately, at this stage, we are dealing with phone addiction. Psychologists has been working with software developers for years to make this happen. Big dollars for the software companies.

KiwiBloke

Floor it & swerve
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, double demerits on public holidays will bump that up nicely :)

I'm amazed, as they seem to have removed the voice reporting option "Ok Waze" from Waze in the newer versions ?

I used it all the time, so I wouldn't need to touch the phone, along with not using ALPConnect, but hi-fi instead
It changed very recently, the voice actions are now handled via google. So "ok google, report heavy traffic" works, but I haven't had a change to try report police, visible as yet.
I guess it's a side effect of Waze being taken over by google.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jon450