RD Recommendation - V1G2 or R7

ccarrico29

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm looking at making my first purchase into a RD and stuck between going with an R7 or V1G2. I know both are good options, but most tend to lean towards the V1G2 when throwing in the app.

I'm not opposed to running an app (V1Driver since iOS), but I don't want to have to manually connect every time I drive the car and don't want to have to rely on looking at it while driving if possible. If I can set it and forget it with it running in the background, I'm all for it. Just beep at me when there's a cop :biggrin: (kidding - sort of). Also not interested in getting a separate android device and running it for JBV1.

With that said, which would you lean towards between the two when considering performance either without the app, or with my app considerations? Budget is not a concern as long as it's V1G2 or cheaper. This will be going into my C8 Corvette, but it's not a daily driver and I don't drive the car enough to want to splurge for the R360C. I'm located in Fort Wayne, IN and my driving is primarily 50mi round trip highway/mixed city with the occasional interstate trips (300mi) thrown in when I go out of town. We will be moving to Austin, TX or Naples, FL within the next year if it makes a difference.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
While I don't have any experience with the Valentine detectors, it has been reported here that both apps (V1 Driver and JBV1) are fantastic at connecting automatically in the background. It should not be required to manually connect each and every time.

I do have experience with the Uniden R series (I run an R3 myself) and I fully trust it. It has its pros and cons, but right now it's the best detector for me. I think either choice (R7 or V1G2) will work well for you. If you don't want the apps, R7 is fantastic. If you are cool with the app, the V1G2 is fantastic.

I also agree that they are both a better value than the R360c (which has its own merits).

LoveRenee

Radar/Lidar Addiction MD
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have both and like them about equally. I don't know about V1Driver, but I love running my V1G2 with JBV1 for the autolockouts plus a whole lot more. As you have probably read, the V1G2 is better at BSM filtering. However, because of the lack of GPS on Valentine, the R7 is easier to use right out of the box. I am biased towards the V1G2 because it's like having an old friend back again (I had 2 Gen 1's and I just got the Gen 2). You really cannot go wrong with either.

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
There are a few other threads right now with similar/same discussion. Based on your description the V1Gen2 with V1 Driver is the way to go. I use them in my car and it is just a "set it and forget it" application that does an excellent job. It will auto connect and notify you only when you need to be notified and you don't have to watch the screen if you don't want to do so. It will play right through your car's stereo system and the settings are fairly straight forward depending on what exactly you'd like it to do. Vortex has a video that explains how to set it up fairly quickly. Go for it! You won't have any regrets!!

Last edited:

samq45

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I would recommend the V1G2 with one of the apps (if you have apple then the V1 Driver app). That is based mainly on the fact that the BSMs are a lot less with the V1.

V1driver works in the background and you really don't have to touch it if you dont want to. It also has an option to let you know the frequency with a voice announcement if you like that, as the V1 does not display speed or frequency.

You might have to spend little time setting it up but once its set up and you drive by some door openers or other stationary K falses a few times, the detector is quiet and you also get esavy to mute selected bands below a set speed threshold.

The app connects automatically when you get into the car. Sometimes i do have to restart the app to get the ducking to work right and other times it may take 10 minutes for the app to connect automatically, so there are some times I have to start it manually, but that is not a big deal.

If you face MRCD/MRCT, then your choice would be limited to the R7 as the V1 does not currently detect that and the R360C is over your stated budget.

Either way they are both good choices, I dont think you could go wrong with one or the other. You could always test one out and if its not to your liking then send it back - if you do that get the R7 first, Valentine is a little quirky with some returns and repurchases.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Since you say you are leaning towards the V1G2 with an app, that's probably the way to go. I have both. Performance is simlar. V1G2 slightly better on Ka based on my experience. R7 better on K, but with more BSM falses but better reactivity. R7 basically all-in-one unit. V1G2 with an app can do everything the R7 can and is probably more customizable (although I have no experience with V1Driver).

But again, just based on your stated leaning if nothing else, I'd go with the V1G2.

Rocky Road

Traveling Past Slow Pokes One Car At A Time
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I wish there was a way you could buy both and try them out for 30 days(or less), and then send back the one you don't want. I have both, but I just got the Gen2, so I can't really give you my opinion on that one yet.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
OK, I'm biased. But Gen2 plus V1 Driver gives you a far superior system than an R7. It will also be future proofed via app based updates.
But, once you find out more about JBV1, you will be tempted to run an dedicated Android phone.
FWIW. I inadvertently ran my Gen 2 without JBV1 yesterday through a couple of K false infested shopping areas. I didn't get a single false alert.
That is not normal, but it happened. I'll have to repeat the test and see if it wasn't a fluke.

cihkal

♟️ WWG1WGA ⛈️
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you see a decent amount of Honda/Acura/FCA vehicles, and 2nd Mazda CX-5s then I personally wouldn't buy an R series.

Sold all mine because they're way too noisy and I am now, seemingly, seeing modern Honda/Acuras on my commute each way, daily. I don't worry about BSMs anymore with the V1G2.

If I had an R7 I'd be getting at least a handful of K BSM falses per drive alone. Gotta love the busy highways of Chicago.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got both and have been running the R series for a long time. I've also been running the G2 since early on. It's a hard decision because there are still some things I don't love about the G2 but that's the same with the R7 as well.

R7 has more false alerts on K band, but has better K band range and better reactivity to K band
G2 with an app is the quietest detector I've ran which keeps you from being desensitized to K band.

If you had to make me choose here and now today I'd say this:

For general driving about at around PSL +15 or less I think I'd pick the G2 with an app on most days, for sure if I'm not facing I/O.

If I'm pushing it and I'm on a hair trigger, especially in a K band area, it's the R7 for now.

As soon as the G2's ramp issue is fixed and if they improve K band reactivity I'm fully on board with the G2/app combo in all situations especially at basically the same price. If Uniden changes filtering or the user-adjustable sensitivity adjustments (rear only adjustment) on the R7 it would make my decision a little harder. Furthermore, for me, not being able to run an app with the R7 is a serious turn-off. On the other hand, I wouldn't run a V1 without an app. 🤷‍♂️

Point is that these two detectors are so close performance and price wise that it's the other features that you will have to weigh. The things that matter to you personally. Hopefully you've gotten enough input that you know which one would be the best for you or even if not, maybe you now know what questions to ask to help you make a decision.

Signal Environment

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It will also be future proofed via app based updates
I think this is worth considering. Right now, the two detectors are so close that it's almost a coin flip or just personal preference.

But the V1:G2 is only a few months since launch, and is the sole focus of the company that makes it for the foreseeable future. The R7 is probably closer to its final form at this point, although firmware tweaks could still give some enhancement.

The future is never certain, but it seems like the odds are on the V2 to get more improvement as time goes by.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
By future proofing I should clarify. Both detectors are updateable, but the production life of the R7 will almost certainly be less than the Gen 2. This is down to the difference in philosophy of the two companies.
VR has always been about incremental improvement of their single model, other companies keep trying to produce another "flavour of the month".

ccarrico29

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input, especially in regards to V1driver. Sounds like that's the way I'll end up going! I would rather pay a little more and get the improved BSM filtering if nothing else.

Matjeu

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I’ve had many top of the line detectors over the years. The V1 always seems to stand the test of time and is usually my go-to RD. It’s a great company and I think you’ll be totally happy with it. I just sent in my old V1 for the new G2 and am admittedly kind of sad I sent it in. It’s been like a reliable old friend. Does it’s job and does it well. Especially when paired seamlessly with the V1 Driver app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrHow

Going “Plaid” ASAP (Tesla S) RDT refugee
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@ccarrico29 My suggestion from the link below, looks like lines up for you also. Did not want to duplicate a comment. I have other comments on this topic floating around.

ccarrico29

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@ccarrico29 My suggestion from the link below, looks like lines up for you also. Did not want to duplicate a comment. I have other comments on this topic floating around.

Thank you. I placed the order for the V1G2, just waiting for it to arrive. Looks like they are backordered, so hopefully I will get it next week before I have a road trip coming up.

DrHow

Going “Plaid” ASAP (Tesla S) RDT refugee
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Just sold my R7 and ordered the Gen 2 yesterday. Tracking says I’ll have it Friday. Looking forward to seeing what the hype is all about😄
Brave person selling the R7. :) Serious, you should like it, different, but uber good. Once you run it naked (no app) for a time, try the apps Too. Don’t be afraid to run full logic either. Most the time, LEO tactics will not get you in trouble using it. However, know the road geography And how LEO use it. With any detector, might adjust settings for certain conditions.

Saleen556

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Brave person selling the R7. :) Serious, you should like it, different, but uber good. Once you run it naked (no app) for a time, try the apps Too. Don’t be afraid to run full logic either. Most the time, LEO tactics will not get you in trouble using it. However, know the road geography And how LEO use it. With any detector, might adjust settings for certain conditions.
I have an iPhone and will definitely be learning V1 Driver. I really like the idea of alerts coming through my car speakers. Sometimes I find it hard to hear the detector or see the lights when I have the top off my car.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Greer